Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Books and music that changed your life?

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
We haven't had one of these for a while :)

Just listened to Kate Tempest (poet) talking about hers here - http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/booksandartsdaily/top-shelf3a-kate-tempest/4764578
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Jane Eyre :heart:
    The Great Gatsby :heart:
    T.S.Eliot- The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock+ Burnt Norton+ The Wasteland
    Lana Del Rey- Chelsea Hotel No.2
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I was a teenager I read A Different Life. As a teenager it really made me think, as well as putting perspective on things such as exams.
    Lana Del Rey- Chelsea Hotel No.2

If that's the song I suspect it is, you should have a listen to the original. Leonard Cohen. It's about Janis Joplin.
    Kurt Cobain changed my life, he is my idol and has been for a long long time. I have posters of him all round my room, and the NME special edition from when he died in a frame on my wall. I've always listened to Nirvana when I'm feeling down and Kurt's voice has got me through a lot.

Also, it hasn't changed my life but at the moment Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Rey is one I listen to a lot when down.
    Oranges are not the Only Fruit was my "coming-of-age" novel. But I think Jacqueline Wilson can answer for a lot of my morality (I once drunkenly told her that, not my proudest moment).
    piccolo wrote: »
    Oranges are not the Only Fruit was my "coming-of-age" novel. But I think Jacqueline Wilson can answer for a lot of my morality (I once drunkenly told her that, not my proudest moment).

I met Jacqueline Wilson when I was 10ish, she told me she loved my outfit and would dress a character like that in a book one day haha! I can't remember what top I had on, but I had a purple silky skirt, with stripy tights and converse.
    (bit off topic, sorry helen!)
    I read so much Jacqueline Wilson when I was 9/10/11, prior to that it was all about Roald Dahl and things like Aesops fables and poetry when I was younger (I was a MASSIVE book worm and read things way above my age group). Then the Harry Potter series when I got to secondary school. Then I got into Carol Ann Duffy when I was doing my GCSEs which got me more interested in feminism. Then in my A levels it was the stuff based in and from WW1 like Regeneration by Pat Barker. A lot of it dealt with homosexuality and the stigma attached to it. Another book that really hit me hard was Flowers in the Attic which I read when I was about 13/14. Not the best in terms of technical writing, but I got so sucked in and was genuinely shocked at what happened, I'd never really come across issues like incest in books before. The prequel was very good also as it gave a lot more insight so the other book made a lot more sense. Not sure if anything changed my life, but literature formed large chunks of it.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I read so much Jacqueline Wilson when I was 9/10/11, prior to that it was all about Roald Dahl and things like Aesops fables and poetry when I was younger (I was a MASSIVE book worm and read things way above my age group). Then the Harry Potter series when I got to secondary school. Then I got into Carol Ann Duffy when I was doing my GCSEs which got me more interested in feminism. Then in my A levels it was the stuff based in and from WW1 like Regeneration by Pat Barker. A lot of it dealt with homosexuality and the stigma attached to it. Another book that really hit me hard was Flowers in the Attic which I read when I was about 13/14. Not the best in terms of technical writing, but I got so sucked in and was genuinely shocked at what happened, I'd never really come across issues like incest in books before. The prequel was very good also as it gave a lot more insight so the other book made a lot more sense. Not sure if anything changed my life, but literature formed large chunks of it.

I read Flowers in the Attic when I was young. It was very hard hitting, but was one of my favourite books at the time.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    Weirdly and I still to this day don't know why, but Coldplays "Fix you".
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Weirdly and I still to this day don't know why, but Coldplays "Fix you".

Great song.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I remember reading this It actually was one of the only books that I read all the way through, Heartbreaking story.

I don't think it changed my life, but it got me thinking.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Clap Clap Clap - Ambershades.

Can't believe that was 10 years ago...
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Mine, by the way, is In Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett
    Ann Patchett and the late Lucy Grealy met in college in 1981, and, after enrolling in the Iowa Writers? Workshop, began a friendship that would be as defining to both of their lives as their work. In Grealy?s critically acclaimed memoir, Autobiography of a Face, she wrote about losing part of her jaw to childhood cancer, years of chemotherapy and radiation, and endless reconstructive surgeries. In Truth & Beauty, the story isn?t Lucy?s life or Ann?s life, but the parts of their lives they shared. This is a portrait of unwavering commitment that spans twenty years, from the long winters of the Midwest, to surgical wards, to book parties in New York. Through love, fame, drugs, and despair, this is what it means to be part of two lives that are intertwined . . . and what happens when one is left behind.

It's heart breaking...but also highlights so many important things about friendship and how we perceive ourselves v how others see us.
    The Catcher in the Rye. The first time I read it it was for school and I hated it, but when I read it again I identified a lot with Holden, hating people but still needing to be surrounded by them. I think it was the first time that I'd ever seen myself in a character rather than aspiring to be like them.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    In 1992 Prodigy's 'Experience' album, as well as Acen's Trip II The Moon pt III. My mates older brother used to play it over and over again.
    Got me into dance music and ravin. This led me into the drug scene later on, and all this probably had a big effect on who I am today.
    Weekender Offender