Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Our Troops

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my friend is in Afghanistan. He skypes us yesterday and proceeds to tell us the army is cutting their meals to two a day because of budget issues..... are u fucking having a joke. all the criminals that are locked up get three hots and a cot no questions asked. How fucking wrong is this??? all the criminals get everything for murdering someone but our troops get fuck all and they have given us our freedom of today GGGRRR

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So, you'd rather these criminals were set free and lived in the community?:rolleyes:

They can't just take money from one budget to pay for the budget for another.
    no what im saying is that the ones what are locked up get everything and the ones who are fighting for our country get fuck all
    where did you copy your post from ? here ?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/breakfast.asp

Interesting that you use this word
    a cot
    which is more American (when used about adults) than British.
    i didnt copy it from anywhere.. if you read it properly i said my friend skyped me and told me what was happening,
    really, because your post and that link are word for word the same, except lil brother becomes my friend. shame you didn't change the cot bit.
    excuse me im saying what my friend told okaii!! if u seen it on a website then well done you but it didnt come from there it came from my friends mouth okaii!!
    Either way, it seems like quite a lot of horse-shit.
    how does it?
    Because if it were even remotely true it would be everywhere, and it's not. It's also extremely unlikely, and RubberSkin has found it on snopes.

3 reasons why it sounds like a lot of horse-shit.
    if thats what u wanna believe then thats ur choice but i believe my friend and i will be stick up for him and our troops if u dont then fine but i am
    sounding like a sarky twat won't work with me, okaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ?

and yes, it does sound like shit and it's about US troops, okaiiiiiii

and yes, you have just cut n pasted it, okaiiiiiii

what you posted, is not what your 'friend' would of sent, okaiiiiii. it's your interpretation/presentation of that message that you're posting here, and that was copied from snopes, okaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    if thats what u wanna believe then fine ur choice
    Oh RubberSkin :heart:
    you only want cake ^^ and we finished off the Black Forrest concoction yesterday. there's a chocolate mousse in the fridge if you want, made it this morning.
    Some of these responded made me chuckle out loud..and get funny looks off people....Worth it!
    If they are cutting down meals to two a day, that will be cooked or prepared meals. They will still have access to plenty of 24hr ORPs (operational ration packs). If anything with the draw down in Afghanistan of UK forces, bases are less numerous and closer together, so would be easier and cheaper to feed. I speak from a professional viewpoint on this.

And yes, that link that another user posted is word for word what the original post says. I think someone has been stung by a chain email, which coincidentally was being spread in the past about US forces.
    So my friend is in Afghanistan. He skypes us yesterday and proceeds to tell us the army is cutting their meals to two a day because of budget issues..... are u fucking having a joke. all the criminals that are locked up get three hots and a cot no questions asked. How fucking wrong is this??? all the criminals get everything for murdering someone but our troops get fuck all and they have given us our freedom of today GGGRRR

Just to point out, and I'm not having this as a finger pointing exercise, I'm highlighting this because spreading erroneous information about deployed troops can be very demoralising for people who have loved ones and friends out there.

For reference the link is below again.
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/breakfast.asp
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    you only want cake ^^ and we finished off the Black Forrest concoction yesterday. there's a chocolate mousse in the fridge if you want, made it this morning.

Eeer, no I don't :angel:

(I was actually craving chocolate mousse earlier too, now you've made it worse!)
    Leaving aside the fact that- as usual- you're spouting weapons-grade horseshit, lets just consider a few facts.

Criminals are locked up and, as such, have fairly limited ability to get their own dinner.

Soldiers are paid the thick end of thirty grand a year and, as such, can buy their own. My boss doesn't give me three square meals a day.
    Mine does.
    look. i dont care if u seen it on a website im just repeating what my friend told me and i believe my friend okaii.... u really think they can buy their own food while fighting yeah alright then....
    Emmalee wrote: »
    Some of these responded made me chuckle out loud..and get funny looks off people....Worth it!

whats funny?
    Leaving aside the fact that- as usual- you're spouting weapons-grade horseshit, lets just consider a few facts.

Criminals are locked up and, as such, have fairly limited ability to get their own dinner.

Soldiers are paid the thick end of thirty grand a year and, as such, can buy their own. My boss doesn't give me three square meals a day.

Agreed. I'm not sure what the relevance of criminals is. They're locked up for a bloody good reason.
    look. i dont care if u seen it on a website im just repeating what my friend told me and i believe my friend okaii.... u really think they can buy their own food while fighting yeah alright then....

Well what do the Iraqi/Afghan civilians do for food then? Because I'm pretty sure there are shops and stuff in the deployment areas.

Either way - as has been said by a *serving member* of the UK Armed Forces who has, y'know, been - your "friend" is talking bollocks.
    As Rubberskin says, it's copy/paste from somewhere that Snopes is aware of. Nothing more to see here folks!

please read g-raffes posts. he's actually in the army NOW so he knows more than most.

and what the heck is the okaiiiii thing about? reminds me of a character from South Park!

Is it possible that your friend told you this, and they were told by a friend who was told by a friend? In Afghanistan soldiers generally don't have the chance to go and source food locally, and if they did the hygiene factor can be quite an issue. Perhaps many would take a risk, but not on active operations where the operational effectiveness of the unit and the safety of personnel would be effected.

As has been stated elsewhere in some of my other posts, the story the OP posted looks like an almost copy and paste job from a website. So it's likely that the OP hasn't cut and paste this from elsewhere, but a friend of a friend of a friend may have at some point down the line. As facilities get less and less in some of the outstations then cooked meals may well infact go down to two a day. It doesn't mean that they don't get fed, they have operational ration packs which are boxes of food which coincidentally are supposed to last for 24 hours. The food within is often sealed foil bags that can be cooked in boiling water or eaten cold. In the main bases soldiers are able to get three hot meals per day, depending on being on guard duties etc.
    please read g-raffes posts. he's actually in the army NOW so he knows more than most.

and what the heck is the okaiiiii thing about? reminds me of a character from South Park!

yeah and my friend is in the army NOW he has been for a few years NOW.
    if you dont like the way i type okaii then tough fucking shit
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Is it possible that your friend told you this, and they were told by a friend who was told by a friend? In Afghanistan soldiers generally don't have the chance to go and source food locally, and if they did the hygiene factor can be quite an issue. Perhaps many would take a risk, but not on active operations where the operational effectiveness of the unit and the safety of personnel would be effected.

As has been stated elsewhere in some of my other posts, the story the OP posted looks like an almost copy and paste job from a website. So it's likely that the OP hasn't cut and paste this from elsewhere, but a friend of a friend of a friend may have at some point down the line. As facilities get less and less in some of the outstations then cooked meals may well infact go down to two a day. It doesn't mean that they don't get fed, they have operational ration packs which are boxes of food which coincidentally are supposed to last for 24 hours. The food within is often sealed foil bags that can be cooked in boiling water or eaten cold. In the main bases soldiers are able to get three hot meals per day, depending on being on guard duties etc.

yeah i know what your saying but as i said in the begining im just repeating what my friend told me and i think its pathetic that people are saying im getting from a website when im really not my friend personally told me and i believe him
    I'm not saying that you got it from a website, but the website that it is on contains common spread chain letters/mail etc which contains falsehoods. So whilst you may not have got it from the website, it might be that someone has had it passed onto them and they have expressed their outrage and told you. Hence explaining how it appears

here:
    https://www.facebook.com/Citizens.Action.Network/posts/496042920468625

here:
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/976/975/356/respect-our-troops/#13717499257842&action=fb_connect&fb_id=0

And many other places, so its likely to be something your friend has seen and then passed on. Unless you somehow magically word for word typed up exactly how it appears on these sites. It is true that in Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan they are cutting some hot breakfasts, not cutting out a meal, just cutting out a cooked breakfast. Yet Leatherneck is like Bastion, plenty of chance to buy food in the newsagents.

Also, unless things have massively changed in the past 6 months, americans may have access to Skype, but the infrastructure that British Forces have in place actually blocks skype and wouldnt cope with a skype call unless you have a connection that is outside of the welfare provisions (ie work related), and wouldnt be used for personal purposes. As for "Skype yesterday" it is now the 20th of June, this has been doing the rounds since the middle of may.