Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

No to Page 3

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Naked Rambler has just been given another eleven months porridge for walking around with his bollocks swinging free.

I don't want my daughter learning that she is reduced to the value of her norks and that they are something to be laughed about in a newspaper.

Indrid, I note you've chosen not to addressy last post. I wonder why that may be. The damage done by page three goes beyond the nudity, as I explained before.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Indrid, I note you've chosen not to addressy last post. I wonder why that may be. The damage done by page three goes beyond the nudity, as I explained before.
    Usually because I'm still processing its information, comparing it to the way I've been thinking, understanding the other's viewpoint and reconciling, and haven't got a result yet. In short, because I'm taking it in before making up my mind. I assume you mean Fiend's?
  • Options
    No, I mean mine. Go read it.

Page 3 is far more insidious than a nipple.
  • Options
    The sexism in page three is insidious. Leaving aside the nudity, the "hilarious" way the models "comment" on the news is obnoxious. Why? Because it is implying that a woman can't be sexy and intelligent. The joke wouldn't work without the idea that all models are airheads.

I have no problem with nudity- Sodbaby has seen me naked. I also have no problem with sex- again, Sodbaby has a basic grasp of the birds and the bees because she asked. But there is no way of explaining the continuing existence of page three; it's both taking the piss out of women for being women and reducing them to their body parts.

As for the idea it isn't sexual, I shall look forward to The Sun diversifying their range of models. Maybe showing a woman breastfeeding might be good.

It is very different to having a second glance at a good looking woman in the street. People who can't grasp that concern me.
    I couldn't find those comments by a short online search, but if they're the type of comments I assume you mean (something that shows an inability to understand the importance of the news, or similar) then yes, you're absolutely right. Because then it's not only about how someone looks, but also a pretence about how they think (I refuse to believe that everyone who appears there is an airhead).

About the rest of the post, in the beginning I did think that people who complained did it because "nudity == evil". It became apparent after a while that this wasn't the case so I moved on.

Basically, nothing there for me to disagree with.
  • Options
    The Naked Rambler has just been given another eleven months porridge for walking around with his bollocks swinging free.
    Incidentally, as far as I could tell from the article I read he has no sexual intentions for doing that. According to the law I came across there's no reason to arrest him, much less imprison him. So there must be more there than I know of.
  • Options
    So it seems in summary that no one is particularly in favour of the overall message that pg 3 puts across.

Yes, there are plenty of other issues, and plenty of other publications that are sub optimal - but the combination of factors in page 3 doesn't really fit with a modern attitude.
  • Options
    So it seems in summary that no one is particularly in favour of the overall message that pg 3 puts across.

Yes, there are plenty of other issues, and plenty of other publications that are sub optimal - but the combination of factors in page 3 doesn't really fit with a modern attitude.
    I never said it did... Although I still don't get how removing it would really have any effect on anything (see my reply to Kaff above in regard to that).
    And I also still think there are things much more damaging (such as the entire -clothed- modelling industry) that I don't see such an outcry about.
  • Options
    There are many many things out there that are as bad, if not worse. Doesn't mean that's a reason for not trying to change this though.

The outcry over the modelling industry comes around reasonably frequently - and there have been changes as a result of some of the rounds. It's a long way from perfect - but that's a whole other debate.
  • Options
    There are many many things out there that are as bad, if not worse. Doesn't mean that's a reason for not trying to change this though.

The outcry over the modelling industry comes around reasonably frequently - and there have been changes as a result of some of the rounds. It's a long way from perfect - but that's a whole other debate.

Pretty much this.

"But x is just as bad/worse!" isn't a reason to not change something.
  • Options
    "But x is just as bad/worse!" isn't a reason to not change something.
    It is, when then thing you want to change is insignificant, as this seems to be to me. Apparently others follow a different logic though.
  • Options
    Check out the distribution figures for the Sun. Then multiply that up by the fact it's a daily publication.

That's not insignificant in my book.
  • Options
    That's not insignificant in my book.
    Not insignificant because of how many people see it, insignificant because of the effect it has on anyone. Which I'm apparently wrong about, like I said.
  • Options
    To me it's significant because of the number of people who see it - and whether or not it actually has an effect, stopping it would send a pretty big message that maybe the concept isn't ok.
  • Options
    It is, when then thing you want to change is insignificant, as this seems to be to me. Apparently others follow a different logic though.

Nothing that would reduce the kind of attitude that that content thrives on is insignificant.

Particularly if it snowballs. Start small, aim big.
  • Options
    Nothing that would reduce the kind of attitude that that content thrives on is insignificant.
    That's what I was saying though: I don't see it as reducing any kind of attitude. It's an effect, not a cause. Remove as many effects as you want, the cause will be unaffected. Wiping up blood does nothing to fix a wound.
    I don't see however how the banning of that page, and anything like it, -while keeping everything else as it is- will do anything at all. I can't imagine anyone who's sexist saying "Oh, that page is gone, maybe women are people after all". I can't imagine any father thinking "Shoot, I wanted to let my son know that women are only there for sex but without that page I can't do it". I can't imagine any woman or girl being less concerned about her figure simply because all the topless photos are gone, when there's many places with clothed women promoting skinniness as beauty. Ban those and you'll do something good for humankind. What they're wearing is irrelevant, one might even argue that it's better if they're not wearing anything, if they're of "healthy figures", because that way others will see more parts as normal.
  • Options
    So how would you fix it. Because the attitude I'm seeing is "why try?".
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    So how would you fix it. Because the attitude I'm seeing is "why try?".
    I don't know how, but that doesn't change the fact that this doesn't seem to me to be a way. Doing something is only useful if there's a chance it may work.
    Again, though, apparently there's some problem with my logic that no one is willing (or able) to explain. If that's true, then fixing it would change something, so go ahead.
  • Options
    No one ever got anywhere by not trying.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    No one ever got anywhere by not trying.
    No one ever got anywhere by trying to change something with no effect, either.
  • Options
    That's what I was saying though: I don't see it as reducing any kind of attitude. It's an effect, not a cause. Remove as many effects as you want, the cause will be unaffected. Wiping up blood does nothing to fix a wound.

Actually I think it's both. It perpetuates the attitude that fuels it.

"Men like to ogle women's bodies so let's put naked boobies in our paper so more men think of women as nothing but something to ogle!"

See what I'm saying?
  • Options
    Actually I think it's both. It perpetuates the attitude that fuels it.

"Men like to ogle women's bodies so let's put naked boobies in our paper so more men think of women as nothing but something to ogle!"

See what I'm saying?
    So you're saying that some people, on some level, would think "Oh, that page is gone, maybe women are people after all"?
  • Options
    Indrid, you say need to fix the cause, not the symptoms - but what is the cause?

As I see it, the cause is a mindset in society. Short of a totalitarian brain washing regime, I'm slightly stumped for ways to fix the mindset of society directly.

What I can see a way of doing however, is to put pressure on the outward symptoms of that mindset - to try prompt society to question itself.

It's cyclical. Gawping is normal, therefore there are pictures to gawp at in a daily newspaper, there are pictures to gawp at in a daily newspaper, therefore gawping is normal. Remove the pictures and you have a shot at breaking at least that particular aspect of that circle. It won't fix everything overnight, but bit by bit you start to make a change.
  • Options
    So you're saying that some people, on some level, would think "Oh, that page is gone, maybe women are people after all"?

No, but maybe it would prompt the question of 'that page has gone, maybe it's not OK to leer at every passing woman and make comment - there's a pretty strong feeling out there that it's not ok to gawp'.
  • Options
    What I can see a way of doing however, is to put pressure on the outward symptoms of that mindset - to try prompt society to question itself.

It's cyclical. Gawping is normal, therefore there are pictures to gawp at in a daily newspaper, there are pictures to gawp at in a daily newspaper, therefore gawping is normal. Remove the pictures and you have a shot at breaking at least that particular aspect of that circle. It won't fix everything overnight, but bit by bit you start to make a change.
    OK, that does make sense. I do see now that there will be an effect.
    I'm still not sure if that effect will be significant in any way, though. Do you think that simply because it's not in a "newspaper" people will think it's less normal, even if it remains in other magazines?

At the same time, I don't think gawping is a problem. Gawping at people who don't want to be gawped is a problem (or, better said: at people who haven't made it clear they want to be gawped). Do you disagree with that? The women in those photos, whether they're in the Sun or Nuts, obviously agreed to it, so it's ok. Someone on the street didn't, so it's not. The question isn't how to stop people gawping, it's how to stop people thinking that either a) everyone wants to be gawped or b) it doesn't matter who wants to be gawped.
  • Options
    It's all about baby steps. You have to start somewhere.
  • Options
    The question isn't how to stop people gawping, it's how to stop people thinking that either a) everyone wants to be gawped or b) it doesn't matter who wants to be gawped.

Yup.

And given that Pg 3 is a well known, long running feature - can't help but think that it's demise would pass unnoticed, and that in that process, a bit of a point might be made that gawping isn't universally acceptable. Gawping at people who willingly pose for those shots might be considered by some to be, and so it's not a straight forward point - but I believe that it would plant some pretty hefty seeds of doubt.
  • Options
    At the same time, I don't think gawping is a problem. Gawping at people who don't want to be gawped is a problem (or, better said: at people who haven't made it clear they want to be gawped). Do you disagree with that? The women in those photos, whether they're in the Sun or Nuts, obviously agreed to it, so it's ok. Someone on the street didn't, so it's not. The question isn't how to stop people gawping, it's how to stop people thinking that either a) everyone wants to be gawped or b) it doesn't matter who wants to be gawped.

That's going to be a long process that is going to take several years I think. To be fair I think you have to start with the next generation. I'm not sure what they teach in schools now but I think lessons/workshops/activities on respect, gender equality, self worth and so on should be in the curriculum from an early age. People need to understand how horrible unwanted attention can be, it's still harassment and it's not ok. It's surprising how early it starts, I was experiencing it when I was still at primary school and boys would line up to watch me change my top after p.e. I had to start wearing 2 shirts or just leave my top on because we didn't have changing rooms. The media need to be tackled too, but that's a whole other monster in itself.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    That's going to be a long process that is going to take several years I think. To be fair I think you have to start with the next generation. I'm not sure what they teach in schools now but I think lessons/workshops/activities on respect, gender equality, self worth and so on should be in the curriculum from an early age. People need to understand how horrible unwanted attention can be, it's still harassment and it's not ok. It's surprising how early it starts, I was experiencing it when I was still at primary school and boys would line up to watch me change my top after p.e. I had to start wearing 2 shirts or just leave my top on because we didn't have changing rooms. The media need to be tackled too, but that's a whole other monster in itself.
    That part about the primary school is very surprising. I don't think something like that ever happened at my school, but I guess I may not have known? Otherwise, things seem to be getting worse, not better. But it may be different here, I guess.

On topic, what I was saying is that removing the page seems like it's addressing a different problem, sort of like trying to prevent rape by saying "Don't have sex", if you see what I mean. Scary addresses that above but I need to think a bit about how much I agree.
  • Options
    On topic, what I was saying is that removing the page seems like it's addressing a different problem, sort of like trying to prevent rape by saying "Don't have sex", if you see what I mean. Scary addresses that above but I need to think a bit about how much I agree.

If it helps, it's like trying to prevent rape by removing a reference to it in mainstream society that implies it's ok.
  • Options
    Can someone elucidate on "gawping"?

On my way to work I might enjoy the sight of a number of women. On the way around the large office I'm in I enjoy the sight of some of the girls in my office. When I'm checking out Rosie in accounts, someone I don't know personally, I'm not thinking about her inner life, I'm thinking "you're looking hot today". I'm yet to catcall or dismiss a women's opinion because she's a women.