Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Running Thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
We had one of these; but the last post is from over a year ago.

Currently, am out injured. Should be back next week and am currently training for the British 10k and a half marathon in September and whatever other races my coach recommends for me.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    How are you getting on? :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Struggling due to the heat. Hoping to go out later this evening, around 8pm. May have to start getting up early (around 5am) to run I think.

Hope it cools down. I have a race at 9.30am on Sunday.
    Just be careful in the heat at the moment is all I can say, I thought i would be allright earlier and only went out of 2 miles and caved in pretty bad.
    Well I am clearly in a different league to all you keen runners - however I did day 1 of a couch to 5km programme yesterday and am rather proud of myself. Managed to do the whole thing, with only a brief pause for shoelace tying - during the walking bit. Don't think I needed to stop apart from to prevent disaster on the treadmill.

For anyone who has done such things - do you have suggestions as to what a sensible walking and jogging pace are?
    Went out at 7 last night and came back at 8. Just after I was starting to come back, it was starting to get cool.

Sensible jogging and walking pace - I think it's whatever you're comfortable with. I've been running for 2 years and find that 6 minutes/km is too fast for me to maintain.
    The British 10k was a disaster. But that was because of the weather and the general organisation of the race and nothing to do with my training.

Decided I'm not quite ready for a half marathon yet. Looking at one for next year. The prices of some are horrendous.

Got another race this weekend. Hopefully, it won't be too hot.
    Well I am clearly in a different league to all you keen runners - however I did day 1 of a couch to 5km programme yesterday and am rather proud of myself. Managed to do the whole thing, with only a brief pause for shoelace tying - during the walking bit. Don't think I needed to stop apart from to prevent disaster on the treadmill.

For anyone who has done such things - do you have suggestions as to what a sensible walking and jogging pace are?

It does depend on comfort - for running they say your 'slow' pace is something you can do whilst still talking, faster pace you aren't having a heart attack but holding a conversation would be difficult. Should still be aerobic rather than anaerobic. The real trick with C25K is to stick at it - every time you go outside even if you don't smash your records, you are continuing to 'level up' your conditioning, aerobic ability, muscle tone and running technique.
    Also, myself:

Getting back into the swing of things. Did a 2 mile easy jog up the hill and down on Monday morning before work. Was pretty difficult. Garmin watch said I reached 104% of max heart rate ;)
    I got a DNF (didn't finish) due to injury in June, around the time I started this thread. I was about a mile from the finish. I spoke to my coach today and was told that because I was so close to finishing, they've give me a prize. :)

7 mile race tomorrow. It's meant to be raining quite heavily tomorrow too.
    That 7 mile race was hard and I fell over. (again :rolleyes: )

Hoping to start building my mileage up enough to get my 10k down and be able to run at a more comfortable pace.
    Another 7 mile race done and another PB.

Now in the process of finding shoes which fit and don't make running painful. :( Much harder than the last 2 times.
    The reason for running being painful was a muscle problem. Had a sports massage and running much faster now. :)