Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What do you do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When someone you don't know calls you a nasty name or threatens to hurt you when you are in your town/city? :banghead:

My local city has turned to shit recently, so this is happening more and more often, for example a man I didn't even know was behind me, said 'move out the fucking way', and another man on his bike said, 'you stupid cow' when all I was doing was crossing the road, he was the one biking into me... :eek:

Personally I tend to avoid confrontation at all costs, but recently, with the city becoming fuller with a population of drunks and rowdy men and women calling people names and generally being threatening, I am getting to the end of my tether. I have in the past, carried a blade with me for the purposes of such an occasion, should I be backed into a corner, I can flash a blade hopefully shooing them off... I sometimes still do, but don't tell anyone near me because they might put me in hospital again. The thing is, I'm not in any physical condition to run away, I have chronic fatigue and pain disorders, and have had no training in martial arts or self defence, so... what can I do exactly? :rolleyes:
Is it legal to have mace/ pepper spray on your persons? if so, where does one purchase any from? Because, I would rather temporarily blind someone and run away, than stab them when so many things could go so horribly wrong. :(

Finally, what do you do, when someone you don't know has started on you and you are alone?

- FAO Mods- edit or move thread if need be, I realise this might be an extreme thread in the wrong place or whatever.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are these the only two examples or are there more because it doesn't sound like these people are starting on you, just that they're grumpy, or selfish, or just typical city people. In these situations, if people dont do anything to you, they just walk/cycle on by, I just get out the way and stay out of it, no need to start anything

Saying that, I really don't know what I'd do if something really threatened me but I think carrying a blade isn't a good idea
    I just know how quickly things can escalate from nothing, to something. So I want to be prepared to fight my corner if need be.
    People who carry knives are more likely to be stabbed than those who don't. It's very easy to turn a knife back on its self.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    People who carry knives are more likely to be stabbed than those who don't. It's very easy to turn a knife back on its self.

Agreed. The last stats I looked at showed that approximately 80% of stab victims are stabbed with their own knife.

Based on what you've told us so far, it's unlikely your flashing a small pocket knife will do anything to scare anyone off, and could lead you to either killing someone by accident or killing yourself.
    The examples you're giving as well aren't examples of you being deliberately targeted by people, more like examples of rudeness and inconsiderate behaviour. Something at best you need to try and ignore. Responding to a "move out the fucking way" with a knife or pepper spray isn't going to win you any friends or sympathy with the police.

If you absolutely have to carry something, you can get dye that comes in canister form, it looks like pepper spray but all it does is cover your would be attacker in harmless red dye that can't be washed off. I'm not sure of the legality of them, there's not been a test case but i'm not aware of anyone being arrested for having one.

The best advice I can give you though is to learn some self defence techniques, you don't need to be superman to learn how to knee someone in the balls or kick them in the Achilles tendon or downwards kick with the instep of your shoe into their shin. All of which are extremely effective, require next to no effort and will stop someone coming at you long enough for you to get away.
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    I think mace/ pepper spray is legal, that dye stuff sounds good Whowhere. -They would be better than a blade.
    What about a rape alarm? They can be really loud and might scare them enough to run off. It would attract attention too, so if you're alone and you feel the other person is being too aggressive, others may hear the noise.
    Hope that helps. xx
    Reena wrote: »
    I think mace/ pepper spray is legal, that dye stuff sounds good Whowhere. -They would be better than a blade.
    What about a rape alarm? They can be really loud and might scare them enough to run off. It would attract attention too, so if you're alone and you feel the other person is being too aggressive, others may hear the noise.
    Hope that helps. xx

Mace/Pepper spray/CS gas are illegal, they're classed as a firearm. If you get caught with it you're fucked.
    The dye stuff, or a rape alarm are both good ideas. You're best just avoiding dickheads though.
    Best tip I ever had about personal alarms is to make sure if you buy one that the pin it's independent of your keys or whatever you attach it to because you need to be prorated to hold the alarm unit and throw the pin, but when the pin is attached to valuables people tend to throw the alarm and can be chased away from it.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Mace/Pepper spray/CS gas are illegal, they're classed as a firearm. If you get caught with it you're fucked.
    The dye stuff, or a rape alarm are both good ideas. You're best just avoiding dickheads though.

Why is pepper spray illegal? What would happen if I were to be caught with a canister in my handbag?
    grace wrote: »
    Why is pepper spray illegal? What would happen if I were to be caught with a canister in my handbag?

Under the firearms act, it's classed as a noxious liquid, which is prohibited as a weapon. You'd be arrested for sure if you were caught/used it, likely facing charges like if you carried a knife. The spray dyes are legal because they don't contain any noxious liquids specific under the firearms act, there's this one: http://www.c-p-p.co.uk/farbgel-criminal-identifier-defence-spray