Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is there any support for adults with Autism?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Discharged last May after being diagnosed and was told to go to social services and contact a local group.

According to a letter I got from PALS last week, I have been signposted to support. That's not the support I was after and it was clear in the assessment I had that I have issues with communication, etc.

The lady who is meant to help me from social services is useless. She's threatened to end my case with her because I don't contact her - expect, I have contacted her. She came to a meeting with me at the local college. Her and the lady I was seeing, both told me I don't have Autism and that my issues are just confidence and anxiety. I was then told I should just go to Mind to get counselling for those issues I don't have. Like many, I hide the problems I have and no-one (unless I tell them) will know that I have sensory issues. Only 2 of them can be explained by other things.

I went back to my GP who did confirm that I do have Autism (most people will tell you that anyway) and said that he'd just send me back to CMHT.

I have a friend (who is quite a bit older than me) who has the same issue - he needs help with social skills, communication, etc. and he's been told nothing exists.

I've been told by the lady at social services that I need to get a job - despite being told (and I have it in writing) that I'm in ESA support group and am not required to get a job, do the work programme, etc.

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Melian,

I wasn't sure how to respond, however, I wanted to respond as their isn't enough support for adults with Autism/Asperger?s Syndrome and I often have my own worries when it comes to being an adult. The system sounds rather overwhelming and difficult at the moment, how are things with Social services going at the moment, how did the meeting at the local college go?

If you feel as though she's threatening you, even if it is to end your case you can put in a formal complaint and request a new social worker, especially if she isn't picking up your messages. I've found changing social workers a hassle, however it can be beneficial on the amount of support you get around your autism. If your GP has diagnosed you with autism, I would stick to that as being on the autism spectrum will also affect your anxiety and depression, etc.
    It can be overwhelming when you try to keep all your issues to yourself, because you're just setting yourself up for a breakdown, however, you can always reach out to us when you need someone to chat to...We might not always know what to say, but it can help just to rant on a message board in comparison to ranting to social workers who are really not being beneficial.

However, like I said, its difficult finding support for adults with autism, however the NHS has an interesting article on adults with autism , that you might find beneficial to check out.

Do keep us updated,
    Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Well, I told her I couldn't make the meeting and instead of offering a different appointment, she just closed my case.:mad: She then moaned because I've had to cancel several appointments. The reasons for this are as follows:
    - being forced to meet in noisy places
    - I was given 25 minutes (yes, really) notice of an appointment. I didn't even get a "yes, Saturday would be fine" when I said I could meet then. So I didn't even know I had an appointment until then. I need at least 24 hours notice.
    - I have severe photophobia. Which means that too much light (including the sun) is physically painful and gives me a headache.
    - I am being given appointments I can't make.

I don't have a social worker any more. She left about a month ago and I've not received an email stating that I'm now with someone else.

The meeting with college (as mentioned) was a waste of time. So, it looks like I'm going to have travel a good 20 miles just to get the education and support I'm entitled to, because they're too lazy to meet my needs.:mad:

I don't have anxiety and have never been diagnosed with it. The person who claims I have it, isn't qualified to diagnose anxiety or any other disability.

One of the problems with social services, is that because my IQ is over 70, (although no-one can actually work it out) I'm not under learning disability and am stuck in the middle between learning disability and mental health. And the sensory services won't have anything to do with me either.

I have put a complaint in. Now just waiting for a response.