Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Volunteer Work...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have decided today that I am going to do some volunteer work. It would ideally be in mental health and would be in a support/mentor type role...I have considered maybe advocacy work but I'm unsure on whether you can volunteer in this type of role? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I have tried the Do-it website for opportunities in my local area and it didn't give me any...so any other ideas would also be gratefully received?? :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could see about any mental health charities in your area, have you also considered volunteering at a care home? I know I can access volunteering through the support groups I attend, so I suppose you could maybe see what's in your area? If you want to volunteer in a supporting role have you considered volunteering for childline or Samaritans? You could also become a befriender as well, and search for opportunities for that in your area? Sorry I haven't been much help, but good luck anyway!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    Those are some really good ideas ellie! I won't be able to beat that, but maybe offer a few more suggestions.
    If you live near a university, you could be cheeky and look up to see if that Uni has a volunteer centre - although they are supposed to be for that uni's students, they will have experience in pointing young adults to places where you can volunteer.
    http://vinspired.com/ is volunteering for young adults - it doesnt have as many opportunities as do-it , but you may see something there that you fancy. For example, it has on there the opportunity of volunteering for this site (The Site!) as a leader, and you could get involved in mental health stuff through that.
    You could look up your local volunteer centre and have a chat with them, they might be able to help you think through what sort of opportunities you would be interested in and link you up with ones that are suitable for you. You can find them on do-it http://www.do-it.org.uk/wanttovolunteer/aboutvolunteering/vcfinder
    I have decided today that I am going to do some volunteer work. It would ideally be in mental health and would be in a support/mentor type role...I have considered maybe advocacy work but I'm unsure on whether you can volunteer in this type of role? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I have tried the Do-it website for opportunities in my local area and it didn't give me any...so any other ideas would also be gratefully received?? :)

Depending on the age you want to work with, youth centres might be a shout. They're known as Early Intervention Hubs in some areas, but most offer support groups for y/p experiencing mental/emotional/social difficulties. Because of government cuts (big hooray for them... -_-) perminant contracts are harder to find, but volunteers are welcome and often gratefully appreciated.
    Thank you - you have all given me some great info - I will start having a look through some of the websites now. I found a volunteer role as a Family Support Worker working with children/young people who have been bereaved and/or are facing the prospect of losing a parent...its also working with their families and its activity days/residential weekends that I would be supporting. I have applied just waiting to hear back....
    Thanks for keeping us updated! I hope you hear back from them soon with a positive response!

Can I ask where you found out about this opportunity?! It would be useful to know incase people face a similar issue in the future.
    I found it on Do-it.org in the end...I realised I hadn't broadened the search thing properly which was why it wasn't coming up with anything!
    Oh, i see - great news! Yes, do it is a great site, and is probably the best one for volunteering! I was really surprised when you said there was nothing on there for you; I live in the middle of nowhere and managed to find something on there which I enjoy :) Well, I wish you all the best for it,and keep us all updated!