Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What to do all summer?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So, I've got a 3 month summer with nothing to do. There's a few things (going on holiday for a week, results day, induction day at college) but for the majority of the time I have utterly nothing to do.

I don't really have any friends at all, I've stopped doing drugs and I've had to ditch everyone I knew from school because that's pretty much all they do. At some point I'll be in a place where I feel I can hang out with them again, do drugs recreationally, but at the moment I still consider myself an addict and I think I will for a long time. I know I need to avoid drugs for a fair while, it's too dangerous for me to be around them at the moment. I was doing ridiculous amounts and I know I can't start again because it'll kill me.

So... with no friends, no money, no job, what can I do all summer?? I've been applying for jobs, but most things (e.g nursery worker) you have to be 17. There are no shop jobs in my area, but I have handed out CV's.

I've looked into volunteering, but there's only really "fundraising" things at the moment. My mum's said I can go and help out in her school, but that will only be for a couple of days a week until mid-July.

Has anyone got any CV tips, or good ideas of what I can do to fill my time? My mum's employed me as her dog walker/cleaner... even though she said I should do it out of "the goodness of my heart" she's agreed to pay me £10 a week, so I'll have a little bit of money but not much. :razz:

Any ideas would be appreciated! Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant as well.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For the job thing my advice would be to hand them out EVERYWHERE. Not just a few and hope you get one of them. I know for shops and coffee shops and stuff you can be 16 to work there so dont give up, keep going with it.

Could you maybe also put out an advert as a dog walker/cleaner? If you know anyone with dogs or have some neighbours who do make up a little flyer and put it through their letterbox?
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Maybe you can try out some books you've always wanted to read, but didn't have the time? I find I persevere with difficult books if I have lots of time. I'm considering writing up some short stories I've been thinking of, not for anyone, but just for fun really. Do you write a diary? Starting one could clean out your mind for the next year and help you see how far you have come.
    What about some music gigs? Small little festivals? You can go with your family or by yourself, or a friend you want to get to know better outside from the last lot. You could use it as an opportunity for family time if there have been problems recently.
    Do you have anyone you could stay with, like a relative or a family friend, just for a change of scenery?
    Or ask your mum to advertise you as a babysitter/childminder to the parents at her school!
    Thanks everyone!
    Lexi I don't think I could handle walking any more dogs otherwise I would, I've got 3 and I have to walk them twice a day! I will keep handing out CV's though, WHS wrote back to me saying they were really sorry but they'd filled the position that was available, but to please hand in another CV if any more jobs were advertised... so I think that means they must have liked my CV since they don't normally bother writing unless you've got an interview? I don't know though. Hopefully it's a good sign.

Starry, I could attempt to read Catch 22... for the 3rd time :razz: As for festivals, my dad normally works at loads over summer but he's too ill this year. He said he can get backstage passes for Boomtown fair for both of us, but he said it'll be crawling with drugs and obviously he knows that's hard for me, so I'm not sure really. I think I'd rather give it a miss. He said if we don't go he'll come down to visit me anyway so that'll be nice.

Grace, I don't really have anyone to stay with family wise (I don't want to go back to my dads, I can't deal with my step mum and sister arguing it makes me super stressed) but I have got a friend elsewhere in the country who I might be able to stay with for a few days :) I do babysit for one of my mums friends who's a teacher, so I'll have more jobs with her over summer hopefully since she'll want to go out. But I'll ask my mum to ask around if anyone else needs a babysiter :) thanks guys.