Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

English Language GCSE

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey guys :wave:

I've got my English lang. GCSE tomorrow (over two hours long! eek!) I was wondering if anyone who's done it could give me any tips?

It's the exam that worries me the most, and every time I've done a mock I've just had a huge meltdown and not finished it.

these are some past papers http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/gcse/english-language-4705/past-papers-and-mark-schemes I'm sitting higher unit 1. (I've got a few printed out) if anyone has any tips on how to answer the questions it'd be much appreciated. I'm currently sat staring at one of the papers I have, and just thinking I'll fail!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    -Use a triple "so-sa-so-so is persuasive, engaging and effective...' it sounds sophisticated.
    -Remember denote and connote- Denote is what something is...connote is what it means
    "The colour red has connotations of passion, anger and intensity which is consistent with the text because it portrays the anger/passion/danger/intensity of the...' State what is used (emotive language, alliteration, persuasive argument, figures, colours, pictures, symbols)and what effect it has for the reader, what it is trying to achieve.
    -Everything has a reason. There is always something to talk about in what you are studying.
    -At the beginning of sentences use starters like 'Additionally, Consequently, Therefore, On the Whole, So, In comparison, In contrast'
    -Compare and contrast between texts and articles.
    -Quote extensively but strategically-the most important quotes, what says most about the point you are trying to make.
    -Use key terms/words-Makes a good impression
    -Remember paragraphs. I know it sounds silly but I can forget if I'm really going into detail with something.
    -Your opinion-not too much because of the time-but it shows you are interacting with the text rather than just writing out what you learnt in class like everyone else. There's no 100% right or wrong answer. It'll make an interesting read too.

You probably know this. Sorry if it sounds obvious but it's all I can think of right now. PM me for any specific stuff.
  • Options
    Thank you that really helped! I've hardly been to any English lessons for a year because the teacher always send me to the pastoral support room so I've done nothing in preparation for the exam. I'm going to try and complete some past paper questions tonight. Thank you again!!
  • Options
    Always always always back up what your saying with an example!!!

P.E.E!!
    Make a Point
    Back it up with Evidence
    Explain it

Follow this for every single statement you make, never say anything without being able to prove it.

Like starry night said, you can put your opinion in, you can say anything as long as you can prove it!!
  • Options
    What Lexi said. Don't worry if it seems mechanical, you don't need to write beautiful sentences, just ones you can prove.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone, I had a look at the mark scheme for the last exam and it calmed me down a bit because it's all quite vague. It's just such a long exam, it freaks me out, and because I've hardly had any English lessons!
    I'll let you know how it goes later :)
  • Options
    I did it :) I'm not sure it went overly well, but I *think* I've passed. The second section went much better than the first, but I ran out of time on the 24 mark question so had to rush finishing it :(
  • Options
    Very hard to second-guess.

I meant to say before you went in that I think you have a very good, consistent writing style that should stand you in good stead :) Hope it has done well for you.
  • Options
    Thanks Piccolo :) I was quite lucky with the topic, it was all about food and the first question was about an article on vegetarianism from the guardian which I'd already read!!

Just got to wait till August now to find out the result!
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Glad things went well :)
  • Options
    Hi I'm doing my gcses as well

I've just done my English exam on Friday...we had to write a like four pages for a question..there were six questions and I only wrote like a page and half for each one...
  • Options
    ... Okay? You don't have to fill up all the pages, it's quality not quantity surely you were taught that?
  • Options
    I know but quantity is still pretty important in English exams...
  • Options
    Not if you write a load of shit. It's better to write one amazing page, than two shit ones. You're year 10 anyway, you can re-take.
  • Options
    Agreed. I was told that the only problem with not writing much is that you may not cover everything.
  • Options
    You're right, quality is better then quantity, but unfortunately examiners immediately think you have written something better if they see more pages..
  • Options
    Madison1 wrote: »
    You're right, quality is better then quantity, but unfortunately examiners immediately think you have written something better if they see more pages..

No. They don't. They read the content and mark that. If you look at the mark scheme on the exam boards website you'll see there is utterly nothing about the number of pages written. They follow the mark scheme, and mark comments worthy of credit. Nothing to do with pages.
  • Options
    No. They don't. They read the content and mark that. If you look at the mark scheme on the exam boards website you'll see there is utterly nothing about the number of pages written. They follow the mark scheme, and mark comments worthy of credit. Nothing to do with pages.

:yes: If you find out from your teacher which exam board you will be taking, you can go online and see past papers and mark schemes; they don't look at word count. If you were miraculous and somehow managed to cover everything in 5 words, you could still get all the marks!