Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

little worried about my brother

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi, me and my brother were talking and he asked me why i cut my legs and i told him he wouldnt understand,

then he said i do understand as ive tried to cut myself in school,

now im very worried as i dont want him to cut himself he is onli 12, i cant say much as i cut but what can i do to make him see that its bad
please help. xx

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think the first thing you need to do is find out *why* he is cutting himself. It's not as simple as saying "its bad, stop." You need to know the reasons. If he is doing it because he is worried or potential depressed then you can look at how to help him. If he is doing its because its cool or because you do it, you can then explore how to resolve that one.

But yes, find out why first.
  • Options
    I started to self harm aged 7, it is quite common in children and teenagers unfortunately. He is definitely old enough to understand, and you should talk to him about it. Ask him why he felt like self harming, and speak to him about the other options (e.g. contacting childline or the samaritans, distraction techniques etc)
  • Options
    Hi MrsMcelderry,

Of course this is hard for you, being your little brother *hug*

Similarly to both advice, talking to your brother about why he feels the need to self harm is a start. This is a very sensitive issue, but as you say, you are going through something similar, therefore noone better could be there for him - so you can use the fact that you know how he feels to communicate with him and try to understand his reasons and thoughts.

It's great he has opened up to you about this, as he clearly felt he could. This shows you can have that connection and help him out how you would like to be helped out too :yes:

Have a look at the below articles on this that can help, and let us know how you get on talking to him *hug* good luck!

Self-harm
    Coping with self-harm
    Dealing with urges
  • Options
    thanks all i have asked him why and he has said that he has been bullied in school and that he cant cope with all the emotions he has got and where he has seen me S/H when things get hard he thinks its the best way if that makes sense.

thanks for all your advice, xx
  • Options
    Hey MrsMcelderry

Just to add to the links that Christele has given you - if bullying is at the heart of your brother's problem then it might be good to check out BeatBullying. They have a really good website where you can get lots of support from other young people or counsellors. You could maybe suggest that he uses it?

Spanner
  • Options
    spanner wrote: »
    Hey MrsMcelderry

Just to add to the links that Christele has given you - if bullying is at the heart of your brother's problem then it might be good to check out BeatBullying. They have a really good website where you can get lots of support from other young people or counsellors. You could maybe suggest that he uses it?

Spanner

thanks ill have a look and suggest it to him.
    thank you x