Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

getting my first job-ish

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry if someone has posted something like this before, I only checked the first page but...

Right so basically school for me is over, I only have to go in for 3 more exams - yay! But now my parents are on at me about finding a job. I had one stocking shelves at the local corner shop but stopped due to exam pressure and the lonliness of the actual job. But now the exams are practically over I need to find another one. I've researched how to write a cv and asked about that in chat so its not that that is worrying me. The thing that is, is that I have no confidence and if I do its an act. How am I going to be able to make new friends? What if I'm the new girl? What if I can't talk to customers? What if I don't even get the job?

But the worst thing is that I'm scared to grow up and become an adult I mean I know I'm only 16, but that means I only have to years to save up for uni, decide what career I want and all these other things but also I have to make the most of it. Ahhhh I don't know, maybe I'm just being pathetic... :nervous:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey,

Well-done for posting. Ur not patheic u done the right thing to post on here to get help and support

Have u tryed futureyou they have advsors that help u with jobs E.C.T

http://www.thefutureyou.org.uk/

There closed now but they open at 10-11

Hope this helps
    Keep us posted
    Thankyou, I'll try in the morning :)
    Hiya cutesmileyfun :wave:

How did you get on with FutureYou, did you give them a try?

I just wanted to say that lots of people don't decide before uni what career they want to do. If you have an idea then it can help in choosing what you want to study but if you're not sure but you know you want to go to uni then focus on doing something that you enjoy and taking up different opportunities like volunteering or different clubs and societies whilst you're there to broaden your CV.

Do you have a careers advice service at college? It might be worth talking to them too. Either way, try not to panic, 2 years is longer than it seems!

In terms of finding a job now that exams are almost over it sounds like you're more worried about the social side of things than the job itself?
    The thing that is, is that I have no confidence and if I do its an act. How am I going to be able to make new friends? What if I'm the new girl? What if I can't talk to customers? What if I don't even get the job?

First day nerves at a new job are natural but it's worth remembering that everyone there has been in your shoes at some point. If you're working in a place with a few more people this time - a supermarket for example - then there are likely to be others who are new too and that will give you something to bond over.

Making friends at work can be just like making friends anywhere else - is that something you find daunting generally or is it the work situation that's worrying you? if you found the last job lonely that it sounds to me like you're quite up for meeting some new people ;)

Customers can be a pain sometimes, I worked in HMV after uni and some of the customers were a nightmare but others were genuinely lovely! I'd say it's about remembering that they're just people and if they ask you something and you're not sure of the answer then you can always say 'would you mind waiting there and I'll find out for you' - generally if you're smiley and friendly then customers will be okay :)

Finally, we have an article on surviving your first day at work that you might find useful to read: http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/working/workinglife/survivingyourfirstdayatanewjob

What sort of jobs do you think you'll go for?

:chin:
    I went on that site, but you have to sign up with your full name and adress etc. which im not that comfortable doing, and as for jobs now, maybe at the beach, or waitressing or something? I'm not too sure - thanks for replying