Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mac compatible hard drives

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there a difference? Can't I just format them myself? And is there a way that I can make a non-wireless one wireless? and then partition it so 2 computers can use it?

answers to any of those questions would be great!!

Comments

• Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Is there a difference? Can't I just format them myself? And is there a way that I can make a non-wireless one wireless? and then partition it so 2 computers can use it?

answers to any of those questions would be great!!

No difference.

You can format yourself.

What do you mean make a non wireless one wireless? A hard drive is distinct and much cheaper than a NAS solution (or network attached storage).

Not sure what you're hoping to achieve with the partitioning. Either both computers can see the disk or they can't, the partitions shouldn't matter.

I have two computers and share the hard drives on one. This had the disadvantage that it has to be turned on to access it, but the advantage of being cheaper than two computers and a NAS.
  • Options
    I'd love to have a hard drive that could be accessed anywhere in the house wirelessly by 2 laptops so it could be used as a back up device by both. Mac time machines cost a bomb, but i also want to use it for storage as well as a back up.
  • Options
    If you get a NAS you should be able to plug it into your wireless router via ethernet cable and so have it available to other wireless devices (depending on the wireless router, of course)

I don't know about the Mac backup solution

I don't know about the Mac filesharing solutions, although I would expect NFS to work.
  • Options
    You should be able to use time machine on a shared folder on the NAS. You should also be able to have a separate shared folder for files you want accessible to everyone.
  • Options
    The reviews are a bit dire
  • Options
  • Options
    I see a lot of hard disks for good prices on hot UK deals. Worth a look :-)
  • Options
    Buy a NAS to USB adapter off ebay. Buy an enclosure for your hard drive (if you don't have one) and plug your drive into that. The adapters and enclosures are only a few pound.
  • Options
    I need a hard drive in the first place! But might be cheaper to do it that way still