Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

moving into my own place

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi, tomorrow 24/05/13 i will be signing the papers and everything for my new place, i just wanna know what its like living on ur own as i have never been on my own at all. if any of you have been the same but now living on ur own can u tell me how u got over it please,
thanks in advance xxx

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey MrsM, Have just realised you put this thread up before tonight's chat. It sounds like you're worried you might not be ready for this move - did you want to talk about some of the concerns you have? Moving out for the first time can be daunting - so getting some reassurance about some fo the specifics might be helpful? :)
  • Options
    Hey - Until I moved in with my flatmates 6 months ago, I'd lived completely alone since leaving home 6 years ago. It can be daunting, but its an experience I wouldnt trade.
    What is it that concerns you?
    Feel free to message me any time, but for now, try to be excited for the new house!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Is there anyone who could stay with you for a few days and give you some day-to-day advice?
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Hey MrsM, Have just realised you put this thread up before tonight's chat. It sounds like you're worried you might not be ready for this move - did you want to talk about some of the concerns you have? Moving out for the first time can be daunting - so getting some reassurance about some fo the specifics might be helpful? :)

its just everything about it being on my own being away from my mum, when i OD i wont have anyone with me or if i S/H i wont have anyone there to help me if i go to far.
  • Options
    Is there anyone who could stay with you for a few days and give you some day-to-day advice?

no i dont have anyone
  • Options
    Nikkki* wrote: »
    Hey - Until I moved in with my flatmates 6 months ago, I'd lived completely alone since leaving home 6 years ago. It can be daunting, but its an experience I wouldnt trade.
    What is it that concerns you?
    Feel free to message me any time, but for now, try to be excited for the new house!

its just everything about it ive never been away from my mum before as im a bit of a mummies girl lol. i want to be excited but i cant :(
  • Options
    Why have you moved?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Why have you moved?

Coz im being made homeless. X
  • Options
    By who?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    By who?

My mum.
  • Options
    You're a mummies girl but your mum has kicked you out? I'm sorry, I'm just confused, if you don't want to talk about it that's fine.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    To answer your question: To be honest, I just do more or less the same things I did when I didn't live on my own. Plus things like cleaning around and stuff, which I didn't really do before.
  • Options
    Hi there and thanks for starting this thread about moving into your own place.

Did you make it to the chat on Thursday as Helen mentioned? No worries if you didn't as you can always get support and reassurance from the boards too or you can join the next chat.

In terms of your specific query, it seems like you are worried about moving into your place on your own because there won't be someone there if you overdose or self-harm (please let me know if I've got those abbreviations wrong).

I understand from your response to Indrid Cold's post that you don't have anyone that can stay with you for a few days.

Maybe you could arrange for someone to call you a few times a day at specific times. This way, if they don't speak to you then they know something might be wrong and maybe they could come round to check you're OK. I think you would need to constantly review this, as your life won't always run at the same schedule. However, at the beginning, it might be a good safety measure.

An alternative would be that you phone the other person a few times a day to let them know you're OK or you could use email. Whatever you are comfortable with.

On theSite we have articles about overdosing (http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drugsafety/addiction/overdosing) and self-harm (http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm) which you might want to have a look at to get to the deeper root of the stress you are facing about living on your own.

Also, have you seen theSite's articles about moving into your own place - http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/home/yourplace
    Most of the articles are more about practical things ? but thought I?d point them out to you anyway as they might help.

You could also post a thread in the 'Health and Well Being' or 'Drink and Drugs' sections of the forum to get more specific support about the specific issues you mention in your posts in this thread.
  • Options
    L1ttleOne wrote: »
    Hi there and thanks for starting this thread about moving into your own place.

Did you make it to the chat on Thursday as Helen mentioned? No worries if you didn?t as you can always get support and reassurance from the boards too or you can join the next chat.

In terms of your specific query, it seems like you are worried about moving into your place on your own because there won?t be someone there if you overdose or self-harm (please let me know if I?ve got those abbreviations wrong).

I understand from your response to Indrid Cold?s post that you don?t have anyone that can stay with you for a few days.

Maybe you could arrange for someone to call you a few times a day at specific times. This way, if they don?t speak to you then they know something might be wrong and maybe they could come round to check you?re OK. I think you would need to constantly review this, as your life won?t always run at the same schedule. However, at the beginning, it might be a good safety measure.

An alternative would be that you phone the other person a few times a day to let them know you?re OK or you could use email. Whatever you are comfortable with.

On theSite we have articles about overdosing (http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drugsafety/addiction/overdosing) and self-harm (http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm) which you might want to have a look at to get to the deeper root of the stress you are facing about living on your own.

Also, have you seen theSite?s articles about moving into your own place - http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/home/yourplace
    Most of the articles are more about practical things ? but thought I?d point them out to you anyway as they might help.

You could also post a thread in the ?Health and Well Being? or ?Drink and Drugs? sections of the forum to get more specific support about the specific issues you mention in your posts in this thread.

i would get someone to ring me or whatever but i dont have anyone thats the thing, yeah you got the abbreviations right, i just gotta accept that if i go too far with it i wont have help,
  • Options
    after few months passing, I would love to hear about your experience since I'm going to move to my own place next month. I'm sure it is great because I have a good feeling about it.