Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is Gluten Messing Me Up?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been experiencing extreme bloating (as in 3 inches around my tummy and looking pregnant), nausea, waking up with numb hands, feeling stiff and tired,tingling and cold feelings down my leg and bad gas for the past few months.

I went mostly raw and eschewed processed food for a while and felt amazing... Then did some baking for an event, sampled the goods and then blew up like a balloon to the point the stretch was painful...

I have tried eliminating soy and it makes no difference, so I am sure my problem is either wheat or gluten...

Is there any way I can test this? I don't understand why this would happen at me when I'm 29, though have read it can be triggered by trauma and I have beeb very ill with depression...

Does anybody else react the way I do and should I worry?

Comments

• Options
    Wheat and Gluten intolerances are something you can grow into, and also grow out of. Your doctor can do a diagnostic test (blood I think) to test whether you are celiac (in which case it is extremely important that you DO NOT eat gluten at all). Intolerances are usually diagnosed through food diaries, although you can also get referred to gastroenterologists who may do an endoscopy and biopsy to have a look.

I react in a similar way, with wheat induced IBS. It's like poison - I get horrible headaches and an awful stomach if I eat processed (white) wheat products.
  • Options
    There are the two options. One of talk to your GP, the other of do the eliminate it yourself and then test it and see what happens.

My dad has a similar thing, although possibly with yeast rather than wheat/gluten. Definitely goes in cycles as to whether it's a big issue, like you're currently having, or not a problem in the slightest. We went pretty much gluten free at home when I was about 12 when he first had problems. Not an issue when I was in 6th form. Is again now a little I believe. Not that that's much help to you really.
  • Options
    Find a kinesiologist that does allergy testing - because it's not just the wheat, it could be yeast, raising agents, pesticides etc.

Atm I'm having to go through loads of grains to see what's causing my tummy pain. It could also be tomatoes, potatoes, any nightshade family plants.
  • Options
    Thought I'd see if it was causing numb hands and lo and behold... Woke up with tingling hands. Felt tired and shitty today and had a crappy stomach...

Weird that oats don't hurt so bad...

Should go to Dr I think and also see to get my B12 checked.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »

Atm I'm having to go through loads of grains to see what's causing my tummy pain. It could also be tomatoes, potatoes, any nightshade family plants.
    Good luck x
  • Options
    if oats don't hurt so bad, it's more likely to be wheat than gluten, or something like yeast as miss riot said. have you compared what you're like with flat (yeast-free) breads?
  • Options
    Nope, not thought of yeast! Book the dr
  • Options
    Spoke to the Dr and am getting a blood test done, but he has also suggested IBS.