Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Care plans and adult social services

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got a call today from my new social worker today and she's coming over to see me tomorrow (yeah I know Saturday?!). She's wanting to talk to me about putting a permanent care plan in place for my personal care, which is great, but I want to make sure that it doesn't all get taken out of my hands. I may be physically unable to do a lot but I'm still mentally capable, and what's been put in place recently really isn't working for me.

I've had no dealings with adult social services before all of this. They often ask me the question what do I want from them - but if I don't know what they have to offer, how can I say? I'm also wondering if there's anything I really shouldn't say? Like is saying anything about my mental health being on the slide due to my physical health a good idea or not?

Any ideas would be help! I'm a bit worried about it being so soon and a meeting on a Saturday seems odd. :/

Comments

• Options
    just say what you absolutely want, and see if they are able to provide it, if you don't ask, you don't get?

I have limited experience with adult social services, only from children I look after turning 18 and moving onto adult services from children but they have provided pretty comprehensive care plans, for our severely disabled kids though
  • Options
    I would pretty much tell them what you've posted here, it makes sense and seems reasonable enough. Ask them what they can offer and see what sounds helpful, if you've not dealt with them before they can't expect you to know what support is available. Perhaps ask whether you can reassess how well it's working out after a while. Personally I would mention how your mental health can be affected by your physical health as it might give you more access to other services which could be of benefit. Good luck
  • Options
    I just remember when I was in care if I said one thing wrong then I could fuck things up for myself royally!

What I would like is to employ my own carer who can come when it suits me, someone to help with tidying and cleaning and someone who can help me organise myself and my paperwork and appointments and such. It would be nice to also I be able to pay for someone to come with me to things I want to do (like weekenders and cinema and stuff) but I have no idea if that's realistic. I don't want to be dependent on my mum for overnight care or getting out and about, but they might see it as me asking for too much and feeling "intitled" to more services that they offer. Someone said about direct payments but I have no idea how they work or anything :/
  • Options
    One of my friends gets a service called Floating Support (free, voluntary) to help with her paperwork. There seems to be a similar service based in Brizzle.
  • Options
    I'm not in brizzle tho :/

I get floating support already but it's crap! It's really not very supportive at all! My mum ends up having to do most of it.
  • Options
    How did it go? :)
  • Options
    They're putting me forward for direct payments, how much exactly I won't know until next Friday. Then they will stop the carers I have coming in at the moment and put me with an agency until I find a permanent personal assistant. But this should now mean I can get someone to help me with cleaning the house and getting shopping too. I don't know how far it will stretch, probably no where near as far as I need it too but we'll see!

I'm just wondering how the heck I go about employing a PA. the non-social worker gave me very little advice on that, just said its much easier if you know someone otherwise many people go through an agency but you get far less hours for your money that way.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how the heck I go about employing a PA. the non-social worker gave me very little advice on that, just said its much easier if you know someone otherwise many people go through an agency but you get far less hours for your money that way.

One of my friends needed a PA and she found someone who was a nursing student, just by asking around. Try university jobshops maybe?
  • Options
    I might do that - they do OT and social care courses so I might find someone.