Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Trouble sleeping? Expert chat: Tuesday 7th May, 7-8pm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

Do you have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep or waking up too early? Do you know what sleep hygeine is? Are you worried about your sleep patterns?

Whatever your sleep dilemma, come along and ask our expert about it on Tuesday 7th May from 7-8pm.

A bit about Kathleen McGrath, our expert for the evening...
8704916180_cb158b6c7b_m.jpg
Kathy has been a nurse for over 20 years. She has been invited regularly to comment in print, on television and radio on how patients can get the most out of their medical appointments with healthcare professionals.

She is also an expert in improved sleep management working closely with the media on promoting sleep hygiene techniques. She's currently a regular contributor to Channel 5’s The Wright Stuff and Doctor Doctor as their resident sleep nurse.

Kathy is also interested in campaigning for better communication between health professionals and patients.

How will it work?

If you've not been to an expert chat before, they work a bit differently. Your questions and comments will be approved before they appear in the chat room so that Kathy can answer questions one person at a time. We will be there to explain things on the night and approve all your comments.

When the chat is open you'll be able to enter from the normal page: http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat

If you have a question but can't make the chat then you can post it here or PM me and we'll ask it on your behalf. The transcript from the chat will be published roughly a week after the event and all name will be changed to protect people's anonymity.

See you there :thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why do you do these things on days I'm not around?!
    In case I'm not there :

I've had a lot of trouble sleeping for a number of years, with periods where it's not as bad and periods where I will wake up several times through the night. Almost always I'll have broken sleep including waking early.

My question is: I've been to my gp. She's done the bloodwork. It's all clear. We've ruled out behavioural or sleep hygiene factors.

She said I would be best off 'researching' more and trying to figure out what causes it or treat it myself. She said to stop drinking coffee and tea after 12 midday as a possible factor, but she seemed to be clutching at straws.

Am I being fobbed off because I'm not an easy diagnosis? I have historically suffered from anxiety and this may be related, but often when I wake up in the night I don't necessarily *feel* anxious.

Edit: this is probably too long of a question sorry. I don't know how to boil it down to the salient points without it simply being another invitation to link me to 101 sleep hygiene articles. Maybe better for ask thesite
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    We're open :)
    Damn it! I with I could have asked about what to do about night terrors and how to avoid them :(
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Damn it! I with I could have asked about what to do about night terrors and how to avoid them :(

Either we can make a thread or post the questions here which were left unasked because of time constraint or because we thought of them later or we missed the expert chat.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »

I'm pretty sure someobody asked so you'll be able to read about it when they do the transcript..
    Will be interesting to see the transcript. Not sure my question was understood :-P
    Is the transcript up yet? :-)