Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

TheSite.org Book Club - Nominations for May - Graphic Novels Month!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hello folks! Hope everyone is enjoying Norwegian Wood!

May's theme is going to be Graphic Novels. Any genre you like, so get nominating! I know B-A in particular was looking forward to this month so hopefully we can drum up LOTS of interest please ;).

Also, I'm aware that most of these won't be available in e-book/Kindle format. So don't worry too much about that bit :).

Nomination format:
Book: Snuff by Terry Pratchett | Kindle Edition | ePub

Synopsis: It is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and out of his mind, but never out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.

But not quite all...
From Amazon

Reason for Nomination: Any reason you like can go here. The above is an example, and was our book for March 2012, so no nominating!

As I did above, if there are Kindle/e-reader editions, put separate links to those, please.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was trying not to rush in with nominations straight away, but this thread needs a bump!

I have a few ideas, but I'll start with my all-time favourite:

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman

9780141014081.jpg

Synopsis: Maus is the story of a holocaust survivor named Vladek Spiegelman and his cartoonist son, who is struggling to understand the reality of his father's story. That the story is told in graphic form is central to its power; using cartoon mice and simple black and white drawings, the horror is conveyed in a way that the reader can cope with. The Nazis are depicted as cats, their victims as mice. Art Spiegelman won the Pulitzer Prize in 1992 for Maus.

Reason for nomination: As well as being an extraordinary memoir, Maus is an excellent example of how the use of artwork can change a reader's perception of a story.
    300 by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley

300_comic.jpg

Synopsis: "300" is a story of war and defiance as only Frank Miller can tell. Featuring the watercolor talents of painter Lynn Varley, "300" marks the first collaboration for these two creators since 1990's "Elektra Lives Again". The five-part series is collected into a beautiful, 88-page hardcover volume, with each two-page spread from the comic presented as it was originally intended - as a single undivided page, greatly enhancing the graphic and narrative power of this immortal tale of heroic sacrifice.

Reason for nomination: It's amazeballs.
    Not sure this counts as it's a silent graphic novel (no words!) but it's a beautiful book with a very touching story line. Well worth a read (can you read a silent book or would it just be... looking?)

It's called The Arrival, and amazon's description is this:

"What drives so many to leave everything behind and journey alone to a mysterious country, a place without family or friends, where everything is nameless and the future is unknown. This silent graphic novel is the story of every migrant, every refugee, every displaced person, and a tribute to all those who have made the journey."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arrival-Shaun-Tan/dp/0340969938

Another lovely (but surreal and confusing!) book is Louis: Dreams Never Die.

"Graphic novel with enhanced cd. cd contatins two music tracks by Múm and Hey, and a short animation by metaphrog with soundtrack by hey and múm. When Louis and FC decide to visit Aunt Alison, little do they realise what dangers lurk in Hamlet's labyrinthine pathways. The odious Fly Catchers are never far behind and a genuine adventure story unfolds. An exploration of our modern lives; a voyage of discovery. Hey and Múm, have each created something magical with music. Shimmering, fragmented melodious sounds, beautiful atmospheric, strangely insistent. These tracks will make your spirits soar."

(I bought my copy second hand from a library and never had the CD, so I'm fairly sure it isn't essential to the book as it was amazing without)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Louis-Dreams-Never-Die-Metaphrog/dp/0954598407
    I love Shaun Tan!

Those are amazing nominations, not what I was expecting at all. I'm going to enjoy this month. :)
    Book: Watchmen by Alan Moore

Synopsis: Written by Alan Moore; Art by Dave Gibbons It all begins with the paranoid delusions of a half-insane hero called Rorschach. But is Rorschach really insane or has he in fact uncovered a plot to murder super-heroes and, even worse, millions of innocent civilians? On the run from the law, Rorschach reunites with his former teammates in a desperate attempt to save the world and their lives, but what they uncover will shock them to their very core and change the face of the planet! Following two generations of masked superheroes from the close of World War II to the icy shadow of the Cold War comes this groundbreaking comic story - the story of The Watchmen.

Reason for nomination: It was suggested to me by a graphic novel geek and it's kind of been on my "I should probably read that" list for a while.
    Book: Sin City, Volume 1: The Hard Goodbye by Frank Miller

Synopsis: The first volume of the crime-comic megahit that introduced the now-infamous character Marv and spawned a blockbuster film returns in a newly redesigned edition, with a brand-new cover by Frank Miller - some of his first comics art in years! It's a lousy room in a lousy part of a lousy town. But Marv doesn't care. There's an angel in the room. She says her name is Goldie. A few hours later, Goldie's dead without a mark on her perfect body, and the cops are coming before anyone but Marv could know she's been killed. Somebody paid good money for this frame . . . With a new look generating more excitement than ever before, this third edition is the perfect way to attract a whole new generation of readers to Frank Miller's masterpiece!

Reason for nomination: Like Watchmen, it's been on my "I should probably read that" list for an age.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I love Shaun Tan!

Those are amazing nominations, not what I was expecting at all. I'm going to enjoy this month. :)

The second book I nominated seems to be quite hard to get hold of, but if you can find it it's very good! I got it for 20p at the library near my dads (they sold a ton of graphic novels for 20 and 50p, and my dad bought pretty much all of them!) and Louis: Dreams never die is definitely one worth reading.
    How could this have been omitted? Possibly the greatest graphic novel ever...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/For-Vendetta-New-Edition-TP/dp/140120841X

You know it makes sense.
    I was waiting for someone to nominate V! Spiller alert on the Wikipedia article for those who prefer not to know!
    I was waiting for someone to nominate V! Spiller alert on the Wikipedia article for those who prefer not to know!

Link amended to amazon, thanks for pointing that out.
    Oops, accidentally edited out my old post, thought I was removing a quote from 'quick reply'! Can't remember what it said, something bland about typing "spiller" instead of "spoiler".

Book: Fun Home by Alison Bechdel

9780224080514.jpg

Synopsis: Alison's father is an historic preservation expert, a funeral director and a high school teacher. He has a secret. Alison is a teenager struggling to learn about, and gain affection from, her emotionally distant father. When she reveals her own secret, the family must find a way to cope with the fallout.

Look inside

Reason for nomination: This was the first time I got hooked on a graphic novel, the whole medium had not really appealed to me. I was sucked in by the wit of not just the writing but also how they relate to the images.
    Right, if no one else is stepping up, here's another from me ;)

Book: Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman

9781848565630.jpg
    Look inside.

Synopsis:
    What do you need to know to enjoy the [Sandman] series? Only that there are seven brothers and sisters who have been since the beginning of time, the Endless. They are Destiny, Death, Dream, Desire, Despair, Delirium who was once Delight, and Destruction who turned his back on his duties. Their names describe their function and the realms that they are in charge of. Several years ago, a coven of wizards attempted to end death by taking Death captive, but captured Dream instead. When he finally escapes he must face the changes that have gone on in his realm, and the changes in himself.

Preludes and Nocturnes begins the series. In it, Dream escapes his prison. He must go on a quest to find the tools of his office: his helm, pouch and ruby. The journey will take him - and us - through the gates of hell itself. It will also teach Dream an important lesson about relying on tools, and introduce us to the other star of the series, Death.
    (from Neil Gaiman's website, he will always write better than I can)

Reason for nomination: I absolutely love Neil Gaiman and everything he writes. Reading Preludes and Nocturnes was a challenge, because before picking it up I'd only read the monochrome pen-and-ink graphic novels like the two I've nominated above. I love the literary references, the depth of the mythology, and I think the artwork is beautiful.

Content warning: We don't usually flag difficult content, but I think in this case that it is worth being aware that there are graphic deaths in the book - and obviously these are shown on the page so they do have an impact.
    P.S. Nominations close today, the poll will go up tomorrow.
    Batman Detective Comics Vol 1: Faces of Death by Tony S. Daniel

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOVF1QOQXr3t16t0NmnBprYqAkoIhn5dfJbA_4kCFJAjTZ3GOa

Synopsis:Bruce Wayne returns as Batman - and sets his sights on the Gotham Ripper, who in turn has his sights on Batman. Meanwhile, Bruce Wayne explores a budding romance with TV journalist Charlotte Rivers, who's visiting Gotham City to cover the gruesome slayings. But time is running out as Commissioner Gordon and Batman work to uncover the secret of the dread Dollmaker!

Reason for Nominating: Loving the New 52 range, this issue has particularly good artwork.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Batman Detective Comics Vol 1: Faces of Death by Tony S. Daniel

Ooooh good call!
    The Last Hero By Terry Pratchett and Paul Kidby

lasthero.jpg

Synopsis: It stars the legendary Cohen the Barbarian, a legend in his own lifetime. Cohen can remember when a hero didn't have to worry about fences and lawyers and civilisation, and when people didn't tell you off for killing dragons. But he can't always remember, these days, where he put his teeth . . .

So now, with his ancient sword and his new walking stick and his old friends -- and they're very old friends -- Cohen the Barbarian is going on one final quest. He's going to climb the highest mountain in the Discworld and meet his gods. The last hero in the world is going to return what the first hero stole. With a vengeance.

That'll mean the end of the world, if no one stops him in time.

Reason for Nominating: It's funny like all discworld, but with Kidby's winning illustrations throughout.
    Another lovely (but surreal and confusing!) book is Louis: Dreams Never Die.

I'm really sorry, I'm going to have to exclude this from the vote because (as you say) it's out-of-print and there aren't that many second hand copies floating around.

I love the idea, though, I'm going to try and get a copy!
    I'm really sorry, I'm going to have to exclude this from the vote because (as you say) it's out-of-print and there aren't that many second hand copies floating around.

I love the idea, though, I'm going to try and get a copy!

It's okay, it is really difficult to find. If you can get hold of it though it is a great book :)
    Awesome :)

Vote here now!