Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Extreme Water Retention?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This time last week, my waist was around 31 1/2 inches... Then went up to 32 on the weekend and is now 34 inches. In that time I have been exercising and eating a low calorie diet... I did lose 5lb between Jan-Feb and have kept exercising 3-4 days a week.

I'm due on my period, but I'm a couple of days late. I know my medication (quetiapine - atypical antipsychotic) is known to cause weight gain, but every medical professional I have spoken to has said this is because of apetite plus sedation and it wouldn't happen without calorie intake...

I'm starting Aquaban. I can't really afford to buy new clothes! Also, having lost so much before, being fat again terrifies me. I look pregnant! :(

Is 2 1/2 inches due to water retention possible? Also, sometimes I feel so bloated I might explode...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The only thing I can think of is to cut your sodium intake if needed and up the potassium. And if your period is late try taking some vitamin C like berocca. I find that helps bring it on when I'm late and sat there feeling like a balloon waiting for it to appear.
    Water weight retention varies from person to person. For example if you have a high sodium diet and do not drink enough water you will have significant water retention, certain medical conditions also cause h2o retention, and if you do not drink enough water daily your body tends to hold it.

In order to fix this problem just start increasing water in your diet, water is a natural diuretic and after several days you will see the water weight go off. You will know when you have enough fluids simply by checking your urine, it should be clear, a side effect of having enough fluids is frequent urination but it will kind of level off in time.

Requirements change with weather, activity, and humidity, when temperatures go up water needs go up as well, the estimated needs are from 2-3 liters per day, you can over hydrate believe it or not, so rule of thumb is as stated above when your urine is very pale yellow to clear you are drinking enough, the darker the urine the more dehydrated you are.

As far as eating to lose weight, only eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full, make sure it is a balanced meal and most definitely use portion control. If your stomach growls, your body is letting you know you need energy(food), but if your body needs only 300 calories and you put in 600, it will ONLY use the 300 it needs and will store the rest as body fat, 500 extra calories a day will lead to a 1 pound per week weight gain, so portion control is key.

To rid yourself of already stored fat you need to do cardio exercise as well as a good weight lifting regimen(weight lifting will increase metabolic rate, cardio will burn off fat after 20 minutes so do cardio for at least 45 minutes 3-5 x's/week).

Good luck.
    I know how to lose weight... I shifted 28lbs before and have ran two half marathons! I'm not one of those people who moans about being fat whilst sitting around all day eating sweets...

Is 2 1/2 inches on the waist normal for water retention? Does anybody else get this or should I go to the Dr?

I have started taking aquaban and hope it works
    I don't know anything about water retention, but I'm on quetiapine and no matter how strictly I control my diet I've still gained weight... I don't think it's solely appetite based... I've spoken to my CAMHS worker about it, but she doesn't know anything about quetiapine since she doesn't normally prescribe it so I don't have any useful advice sorry!
    Were you significantly less active on Q? Did you get a bad bloated stomach?

My waist has shot down 1 1/2 inches after one day of Aquaban. It's actually quite effective... I'm still over a week late on my period and have read how the drug I'm taken has actually stopped periods in some people (I don't mind not having them and don't want kids, but don't want a random tsunami happening when I can't anticipate).
    Namaste wrote: »
    Were you significantly less active on Q? Did you get a bad bloated stomach?

I'm not very active anyway, but yea every time I eat on it my stomach gets bloated quite a bit. I've gone from 7.5 stone to 9 stone since I've been on meds.