Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pregnant?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ahhh I'm scared I'm fucking pregnant :(

My period is 4 days late, which I probably wouldn't worry about normally, but I'm on the pill and so they're usually like clockwork. I take the pill religiously - I know I haven't missed any and I even always take it at the same time each day.

I'm also a bit worried because the antibiotics I am on for my skin used to come with a warning to take extra precautions, but that changed a couple of years ago.

I know I just need to take a test, but I'm worried that would totally mess me up if it was positive. And there's nothing I could do about it until I go back to uni in a week and a bit. Obviously if it was negative then that would be a relief, but I don't know if I could handle the positive result now.

Fuck, I've always been so careful. Maybe I'm worrying prematurely. Argh.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you do take a test make sure you read about when the accuracy is. How long after sex or when your period due it can give you the best possible answer.

You're on the pill, which from memory are about 99% effective against pregnancy when taken properly, did you use a condom? Because when they're used properly, they're about 99.9% effective. Bringing your odds of pregnancy right down.

I personally wouldn't consider 4 days a big deal, no matter how clockwork my period was, especially after it stopped when I was 19 for 4 months due to stress. You've been going through a lot lately and that can affect your cycle.

Remember even if it is positive, there are options on what to do.
    Erm, I used condoms with the guy I'm seeing until after he'd been to the GUM clinic.

There's another thing I guess which adds to my worry, I had a tiny bit of bleeding (not period like) a few days before I was due. I told myself that it was just my period starting early, but I'm now really hoping it wasn't implantation bleeding :(

I'll try and chill out :(
    Yeah, there's no point worrying until you've got a positive test. Almost everyone I know who's had sex with boys has had a pregnancy scare, sometimes it's more than a scare but there's nothing wrong with having a termination, or carrying to term and putting up for adoption, or having a baby young.

They're maybe not easy decisions, but you won't be a horrible person by picking one or other.
    I know it's scary but you should take a test hun. I think normally it's 2 weeks after sex or the day after your period was due so you can do one now.

I wouldn't be too worried though, there are plenty of reasons why your period may be late, and as Fiend said the pill is a very effective form of contraception if used correctly.

Would it be possible for you to go to a sexual health clinic/doctors and do a pregnancy test, so if you are pregnant they can advice you on your options and if you aren't they can give you some suggestions why your period is late :)
    The only thing you can do is take a test. Then you can either relax or decide on a course of action. The sooner you know the better. You can pick up 99p dip stick ones from cheap health shops, they're the ones I've always used.
    Test was negative. Thanks for making me reconsider it.

Feel like a bit of a fool now for getting so worried. I think it was just the combination of the 3 factors feeling massive in my head.

Sorry xxx
    No worries, I'd be bricking it, mainly because I've never shagged a boy, but yeah, scary
    My period is often a few days late, I've found taking a vitamin c supplement helps bring it on
    Im sure you know but antibiotics also sometimes stop the pill from working
    The answer is always to take a test, the what if mind fuck is awful and can easily be put to rest most of the time.
    Yeah. At uni I have tests at home so would have just done one without over thinking it :p but here I actually had to think about getting a test etc