Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Joke(s)

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
A farmer hears that someone in a nearby village is selling cows. So he decides to go buy one. Getting to the village, he asks a villager in the square if he knows where the farm of the guy who's selling cows is. They give him directions and so he goes there and asks the guy:
-Good morning!
-Good morning to you too!
-I heard you're selling cows.
-Yes, I'm selling a black one.
-Only one?
-Well, yes, I'm also selling a white one.
-Which one is heavier, the black one or the white one?
-Oh! The black one is 250 kgs.
-And the white one?
-The white one is 250 kgs also.
(Hmm... thinks the farmer and scratches his head)
-Which one makes more milk?
-Oh! The black one makes 50 kgs milk each time.
-And the white one?
-The white one makes 50 kgs as well.
(The farmer thinks, this guy isn't right in the head)
-Do they ever kick the bucket?
-Oh! The black one never does.
-What about the white one?
-She never does either.
-You're driving me crazy! Go to hell, I'm leaving.
The farmer goes back to the village's square and comes across the villager who sent him there earlier.
-Hey, I saw that guy who's selling cows. Is he the village idiot or something?
-Why are you asking? Oh, he tried to sell you the black cow, didn't he?
-Yeah, why was he acting like that?
-Well, you see, the black cow is his.
-And the white one isn't?
-No, the white one is his too.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is there a punchline...?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Is there a punchline...?
    Yeah, it's the last line. Or what the last line makes you realise.
  • Options
    At a family dinner the father was explaining to his children that he would love them, no matter what.

"That's a relief" said his eldest daughter, "because I have always wanted to tell you something. I'm in love with a woman"

Father smiles and says to his daughter "Why would you think that would trouble me, child? You are my daughter and I will always love you"

His youngest daughter sighs and says "In which case Daddy, I should tell you that I am gay too."

Father sighs and says "I will always love you too, but doesn't anyone in this family love men?"

"I do", says his son.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's the last line. Or what the last line makes you realise.

Yeah, do you have to say the joke out loud or...?
  • Options
    Two old ladies cycling through Oxford

'I don't think I've come this way before Gladys'

'Me neither, it must be the cobblestones.'
  • Options
    Apologies that this joke has a limited audience and is definitely aimed at the UK.

Man goes into sea food restaurant, and orders from the menu a meal that requires fresh squid. His waiter asks him to pick the one he wants from the tank and he chooses a pale green squid, with a moustache.
    Waiter tries to convince him to change his mind, that squid in particular is a favourite of the staff, and has been there years, it's almost a mascot
    The man insists, "I want that squid"
    Waiter get the chef to come over and kill it. The chef (Gervaise) refuses, and runs off crying. The waiter asks the dish washer, a German called Hans to do the dirty deed. Hans looks down at the squid, and the squid looks back up at Hans; and Hans says "No! I cannot do it either!"

Waiter goes back to the customer and says.
    "I'm terribly sorry sir, but Hans that does dishes is as soft as Gervaise with mild green hairy lip squid"
    SquidLove.jpg
  • Options
    ^^ I lol'd :)

Guy in Berlin goes to a brothel. Speaks to the madame who says Greta has a special on offer 100 euros. So the guy pays his money and goes to Greta's room.

In the room is Greta, on the bed, with four ducks and each has got springs on it's feet.

'What's all this ?' says the man

to which Greta replies 'Surely you have heard of the four sprung duck technique'
  • Options
    What do you get when you cross a smurf and a cow?

BLUE CHEESE :lol::lol:

(You all saw that coming;))
  • Options
    Read this one online couple of days back:

Three engineering students are discussing what sort of God must have designed the human body.
    The first says, “God must be a mechanical engineer. Look at all the joints.”
    The second says, “I think God must be an electrical engineer. The nervous system has thousands of electrical connections.”
    The third says, “Actually, God is a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?”

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    I asked the plumber:
    -How much for the work?
    -Well, something at about 90...
    So I gave him my grandma.
  • Options
    What do call a dog with no arms and no legs?

It doesn't matter, he won't come anyways.
  • Options
    A farmer hears that someone in a nearby village is selling cows. So he decides to go buy one. Getting to the village, he asks a villager in the square if he knows where the farm of the guy who's selling cows is. They give him directions and so he goes there and asks the guy:
    -Good morning!
    -Good morning to you too!
    -I heard you're selling cows.
    -Yes, I'm selling a black one.
    -Only one?
    -Well, yes, I'm also selling a white one.
    -Which one is heavier, the black one or the white one?
    -Oh! The black one is 250 kgs.
    -And the white one?
    -The white one is 250 kgs also.
    (Hmm... thinks the farmer and scratches his head)
    -Which one makes more milk?
    -Oh! The black one makes 50 kgs milk each time.
    -And the white one?
    -The white one makes 50 kgs as well.
    (The farmer thinks, this guy isn't right in the head)
    -Do they ever kick the bucket?
    -Oh! The black one never does.
    -What about the white one?
    -She never does either.
    -You're driving me crazy! Go to hell, I'm leaving.
    The farmer goes back to the village's square and comes across the villager who sent him there earlier.
    -Hey, I saw that guy who's selling cows. Is he the village idiot or something?
    -Why are you asking? Oh, he tried to sell you the black cow, didn't he?
    -Yeah, why was he acting like that?
    -Well, you see, the black cow is his.
    -And the white one isn't?
    -No, the white one is his too.

I'm really confused - can someone explain this joke to me? I've been trying to work it out for ages.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I'm really confused - can someone explain this joke to me? I've been trying to work it out for ages.
    The point is that apparently the guy in the square is just as "crazy" (or whatever) as the guy selling the cows. Both of them spoke like they were describing a difference between the two cows and then said they're the same.
  • Options
    I thought he was describing his wife as a cow! I got that one wrong.
  • Options
    The point is that apparently the guy in the square is just as "crazy" (or whatever) as the guy selling the cows. Both of them spoke like they were describing a difference between the two cows and then said they're the same.

Yeah, I got that.

But, is there a cultural thing we're missing here, or a lost in translation?
  • Options
    Yeah, I got that.

But, is there a cultural thing we're missing here, or a lost in translation?
    Simply not your kind of humour, probably. To me it's funny in the same way the knights who say "Ekke ekke ekke ptang a-roop boingen weer" are funny.
  • Options
    I took it to mean that he was confused because cows are usually black and white. But who knows. Lost in translation I reckon.

A hole was found in the brothel bedroom wall. Police are looking into it.
  • Options
    Simply not your kind of humour, probably. To me it's funny in the same way the knights who say "Ekke ekke ekke ptang a-roop boingen weer" are funny.

Actually, I'm not that stupid. There's a big difference between not finding something funny, and not seeing why it's funny at all.
  • Options
    Actually, I'm not that stupid. There's a big difference between not finding something funny, and not seeing why it's funny at all.
    I never said you were stupid? I'm explaining why I found it funny.
  • Options
    I never said you were stupid? I'm explaining why I found it funny.

This is what most people would call a bit of a language barrier issue.

Saying "Simply not your kind of humour, probably." says that if it were my kind of humour that I'd get the joke and find it funny. It also implies that I'm not smart enough to understand humour I don't find funny.
  • Options
    This is what most people would call a bit of a language barrier issue.

Saying "Simply not your kind of humour, probably." says that if it were my kind of humour that I'd get the joke and find it funny. It also implies that I'm not smart enough to understand humour I don't find funny.
    I'm glad you understood it. Your questions in the beginning implied you didn't.
    The way I see it, one doesn't find a joke funny if at least one of the following conditions is true:
    A)They didn't get it
    B)It's not their kind of humour
    After I made sure A was not true any more (if it ever was), the conclusion was that B is true. What's wrong with that exactly?
  • Options
    I think condition A is still the problem actually. The problem seems to be with people not seeing what's funny, its not getting why trying to buy a cow and getting annoyed with the guy selling telling you what you need to know is funny.

You've said that the punchline is that they guy in the square talks in the same way as the cow seller. But having not really seen a problem with the way either of them is talking. We're still a little bit in the dark about what is supposed to be funny, irrespective of whether it is or not.

An example

Two sharks in the sea
    Shark 1: What do you fancy for dinner tonight? Is mackerel ok?
    Shark 2: No, I'm sick of the same old stuff. Lets go to Morecambe Bay and get a chinese.

The joke isn't funny, but what's supposed to be funny is the punning of a drowning chinese cockle-picker and picking up a chinese takeaway.

So, you can understand what's supposed to be funny, which is what's missing from this cow story. Without finding it funny.
  • Options
    Ok, now I get what exactly "language barrier" referred to. I'm not sure it's a language barrier and not another kind of barrier, though.
    Earlier I explained that "the guy is speaking as if he's about to explain a difference between the cows, but then says there isn't one" and I thought you agreed with that part.
  • Options
    I see that. The guy tells you part of the information, and then the other part, then so does the guy in the square. Is there something particularly Greek about this behaviour?
  • Options
    I see that. The guy tells you part of the information, and then the other part, then so does the guy in the square. Is there something particularly Greek about this behaviour?
    I don't think so. Unless expecting a response like "It's this one" or "Neither, they're the same" when you ask "Which one is more...?", instead of "It's this one. ... ... ... Oh, an the other one too" is particularly Greek. I don't think it makes sense (grammatical or logical) in English either.
  • Options
    Well, it's a bit odd. But, not so odd as to be a joke. Unless perhaps it was an in joke within a workplace or sports team where you all know the guy that talks that way and take the michael a bit... like danny's stupid laugh. (which doesn't make any sense because none of you know danny)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Agreed. It's totally whacky, offbeat humour. I can see why it would be funny to people regardless of where they're from in the world if you're into that kind of thing. It's just not mainstream. If anything, it's the kind of thing I'd expect to see work in a comedy sketch more so than written down, but that's still not to say it can't be funny. :)
  • Options
    What do you call a Smurf with its pants down?

A blue moon. 25r30wi.gif

Easily entertained... smurf-smiley-face.gif
  • Options
    -Doctor, my husband thinks he's a fridge!
    -That doesn't sound good... I can book you an appointment for Monday, could you bring him here?
    -Monday? What am I going to do till then? He sleeps with his mouth open and the light is keeping me awake!