Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Career dilemma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been in Childcare for about 5 years, and I have stayed at the same nursery for 5 years. I love it there, and I love my job so much. I have also been doing quite a lot of volunteering which is also something that I love. I volunteer with young people with disabilities, and it is something I have always had an interest in doing as my full time job.
I also volunteer at YouthNet, which runs TheSite. I love doing this. All the things that interest me, I would love to extend on. I don't know if I could just leave the nursery and try something new, I don't know if I am ready to take that step.
I also don't even know what is wrong with me, and why I am even considering this. I love my job and it is something I have worked so hard to get to where I am now. I will feel like I am just throwing it all away.

Has anybody ever felt this way, if so do you have any advice? I don't want to fully come out of Childcare cos it is my passion, and to be in a job that I love is amazing feeling.

Sorry for the rambling thread.

Comments

• Options
    If you like working with kids and also people with disabilities, how about paediatric nursing ?
  • Options
    Never really thought of that.. Im not that clever and think I will struggle with the qualifications. Erm decisions. Does anyone know what age connexions goes up to? Like til you cant contact them.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    your post doesn't seem to make much sense Claire, what are you considering? leaving childcare to go and work with young people with disabilities?
  • Options
    Sorry my post doesn't make sense. I don't know really, guess I just needed to vent about how I am feeling, just ignore me :)
  • Options
    Sounds like you're interested in considering different options - but not sure exactly what the other options are at the moment?

I'm pretty sure connexions go up to 25, so you may well still be in luck there. It doesn't seem to be immediately obvious from the websites, so worth checking with your local one.

One thing that sprang to mind for me from your post (and it's really not my area of knowledge) is that would a different twist on childcare interest you? For example, a special needs nursey or teaching assisstant or play worker or similar in a special needs school or centre? Or childcare in a hospital, play worker on a childrens ward?

Could be ones to look into the options for - give you some idea of something similar but different and whether it's the kind of thing you might be interested in.
  • Options
    Thank you! :)
    Yeah I have always had a passion for working with Children, and I love my job, I don't know if I am ready to make that change. Like it will be a big gamble cos if it doesn't work out, I am stuffed with no job. But life is about taking chances I guess. I am going to wait til I have my appraisal and speak to my manager about it I reckon.
    I guess it is something that I def need to think about, and not make any rush decisions. I need to consider all the options cos I will obv have to train again and get qualifications cos I don't think my level 3 in Childcare means I can work with children with additional needs.
  • Options
    Remember though, there's a big difference between looking into the various options and quitting your current job.

Maybe start by having a look at job adverts, find out whether there are any facilities locally that might have that kind of job in it, find out where they advertise, what qualifications they look for, what the job description is like, what the pay is like. That way you'll start to have an idea of what you might want to aim for.
  • Options
    Thanks for the useful helpful advice. I will def have a think :)

• Options
    Briefly spoke to my sister about this, and I mentioned what qualifications I would need to work with children with special needs, and she said I should look into it, but I don't know who I am best speaking to about this, like where can I find the info about qualifications etc. Any ideas?
  • Options
    There's no good way to say this. But really, how much time have you spent doing some really serious googling?
  • Options
    google just confuses me, cos like loads of options come up and I am like whaaat, I can't go through all this. But I could try. :)
  • Options
    You need to. To be honest, it's an important life skill to find the information you need by yourself.

If you think about it, what you've come here and asked is almost "Please can some google for me what I want and what I need because I don't want to do the work".

You know me well enough that I'll put the time and effort in when someone can't understand, or doesn't have the access, but I'm not going to do the work for you, especially when you'll need these skills to get new qualifications.

Good Luck
  • Options
    nah I was just looking for some advice on places to look, that's all. But I love how you are and so honest :)

i wont post anymore about it.
  • Options
    i wont post anymore about it.

Don't be silly. But maybe have a look at Scary Monster's thread. She came in knowing what her choices were and wanted to work through how to choose.

Go and find out your options, find out how to get each one, come back and ask for help. At the moment, most of your advice on places to look are going to be. Google.
  • Options
    okay. thanks
  • Options
    I mean it. You deserve help. You deserve advice. I want to give it. But I can't tell you what you want to do. You need to go and find some things that sound good to you first.
  • Options
    I will do. :)
    I guess I should of really thought before I posted.
  • Options
    Not at all, you asked for advice and that's what you've got :) Never feel bad about posting.

I would add to what Fiend said that there is a government website called the National Careers Service that might have some info on it.

I think it was in Scary's thread that someone said that looking at job adverts in an area you like (say, childcare) and seeing what makes you go "oooh, I could do that!" might be as good an indicator of what you really want as anything else.

Have the confidence to apply for jobs, too, if you think they're a good fit. The worst that can happen is that you don't get it, and that's not a step back.
  • Options
    Thank you will check it out :)
  • Options
    I work with special needs children and I don't have any special qualification, just a diploma in childcare. but I had a lot of experience with special needs children which is what a lot of employers look for :)
  • Options
    Thank you FireyFirenze :)
  • Options
    I think I have finally made some progress on this issue, just need my appraisal at work now. But I am feeling more positive about things, after seeking some advice.
  • Options
  • Options
    OMG thank you so much ella :) You are a superstar <3
  • Options
    No problem. Told you there were options ;)
  • Options
    Yes you did :)

• Options
    Being right is my favourite thing
  • Options
    Lol yeaah :-)

• Options
    Another thought, your local authority should be able to give you more info about jobs/ qualifications with SEN children and young people
  • Options
    local what now?
    Im so dumb.