Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Legit website?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, just wondering what you think of this website?
http://www.thepromdressesstore.co.uk/

they've got some really nice dresses... but they're so cheap, they don't charge for custom sizes or postage, there's no reviews online... and they're facebook, twitter and blog have only been active for a month, with hardly any feedback.

Am I just being suspicious? Or does this seem really dodgy to you as well?

Comments

• Options
    No, i wouldn't trust it. Some of the grammar is appauling (reminds me of 'My dear i am trapped with $1,500,000 in Nigeria...), there is no contact address, no company registration and you can only pay via paypal.

Although 'shipping' is a common term, 'postage/packing and delivery' is more common on UK sites and as the prices are all in pounds....

ETA - They have a gmail address when they have their own domain ??? The dial code is for America (+1) so why a co.uk site. They could have different sites for different countries, but i would of thought 1 site with multi currency would be better.
  • Options
    From scamadvisor.com

Domain name: thepromdressesstore.co.uk
    Domain Title: Cheap Prom Dresses UK, Prom Dresses 2013 on Thepromdressesstore.co.uk
    Description: We provide prom dresses uk, prom dresses 2013, evening dresses, long prom dresses, short p
    Domain Age: 0 Years, 95 Days
    Website Speed: Slow
    Owner: tony tang
    Address: Kangmeili, nanjing, jianshu, 210012, China
    City: nanjing
    Postcode: 21001
    Website Location: Singapore

Probable website origin :-

36%; China

27%; United States

19%; Singapore

18%; Australia

Notes:-
    This website is 95 Days old
    The website expected life (365 days) is relatively short.
    The website appears to be less than six months old
    This website setup involves countries known to be high risk
    This website is likely to be operating from a high risk country

Analysis Details:-
    This webite is very new , and as such doesn't have an online reputation yet. As with all new businesses , we suggest that you take care and if necessary get in contact with the owners before placing an order of value.
    This site has a high risk country associated with it. This may be as you expect but care should be taken if purchasing an item from a site that you didn't expect to be associated with the countries listed above. Certain countries are listed as being high risk because of the high percentage of online fraud or tendency to send fake/replica items.
  • Options
    Cheers rubberskin! I'm thinking this one http://www.dresseshouse.co.uk/ is fake too. Akkk I'm going to have to actually go *outside* and shop to find a dress
  • Options
    I saw a thing on a money scamming programme the other day about prom dress websites. A girl paid a lot of money for a really shoddy dress that was nothing like the picture and had to fight for their money back etc. Go to a real shop, you'll be able to try it on properly before buying and get it altered if necessary.
  • Options
    The first website in the OP is offline now, lol.
  • Options
    This is from months ago guys! :L I got a lovely dress from Debenhams!
  • Options
    Oh woops! For some reason this appeared on my Whats New list
  • Options
    I think it was spam that was posted and then deleted.