Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shes awesome
    i got the massive urge to high five her!

scc have you heard of hollie mcnish? http://holliemcnish.bandcamp.com/album/wow
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Is there a transcript somewhere?

I don't like it when people make videos of someone saying something, when text would work as well.
    Its all very well not being able to understand spoken english, but that doesnt mean that text would work as well. It was a performance and the fact shes performing it and you can see shes blind, and everything, makes it more powerful.

Do you hate the film industry for not all being books?
    Is she blind?

text of the poem
    This! This was amazing, gave me goosebumps. :)
    Its all very well not being able to understand spoken english, but that doesnt mean that text would work as well. It was a performance and the fact shes performing it and you can see shes blind, and everything, makes it more powerful.

Do you hate the film industry for not all being books?
    It's not about understanding spoken english, it's about understanding text. It's far easier to understand someone's words when you can go back and read a previous part again then go exactly to where you left off, stop reading, and read at your own speed. It's too difficult to do this with a video.

I don't hate the film industry because a film isn't simply someone reading a book aloud.
    Having read it (thanks CR) I feel more pity for her and anger at her mother -despite her saying it's not her mother's fault, not everyone turns like that so she did have some responsibility.
    Besides the point above, I do agree with everything she said. It's really sad when people focus so much on their appearance that they make themselves ill (physically or mentally, accidentally or willingly).

Still, there wasn't anything new there. I've been reading about people saying that society is too focused on people's appearance, particularly women's, since I was old enough to read articles on magazines and the internet. And still nothing has changed, except perhaps for the worst.
    Having read it (thanks CR) I feel more pity for her and anger at her mother -despite her saying it's not her mother's fault, not everyone turns like that so she did have some responsibility.
    It's far easier to understand someone's words when you can go back and read a previous part again [...]
    once you understood the text, did you go back and listen to the performance? I don't know how well you can pick up on stresses and inflections in spoken English, but they help modify the message and deliver it powerfully

still, there wasn't anything new there. I've been reading about people saying that society is too focused on people's appearance [...] And still nothing has changed
    Feminism seemed to gain ground in the 70s, but in retrospect I suspect that was instead austerity reducing spending on appearance and pushing women into the workforce.
    for the worst.
    "for the worse"
    once you understood the text, did you go back and listen to the performance? I don't know how well you can pick up on stresses and inflections in spoken English, but they help modify the message and deliver it powerfully
    I do plan to, but haven't yet.
    "for the worse"
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Spoken word peformance is an amazing way to reach wider audiences... it's also a way to express the emotion in the way you mean it, rather than how the reader might perceive it in their head.

Thanks for sharing :heart:
    I actually am not convinced that good poetry should ever be written down.

That was fucking epic. Thank you SCC
    Is she blind?

text of the poem

Yes, shes blind.

Im glad people found it as powerful and amazing as I did.
    **helen** wrote: »
    Spoken word peformance is an amazing way to reach wider audiences... it's also a way to express the emotion in the way you mean it, rather than how the reader might perceive it in their head.

Thanks for sharing :heart:

I liked spoken word performances when I first came across them, but having watched too many of them since they're in vogue at the moment... I've really been turned off it as a medium. Like people trying too hard to be dramatic or something. Though I understand that might be an unpopular and perhaps inflammatory opinion, especially given the subject matter at hand.
    well youre ok then, because there are both
    Two words: FUCKING AWESOME!

She makes the raging feminist in me want to sing!
    2 heterosexual men immediately pull apart other things about the performance or subject matter rather than appreciate it for what it actually is.
    Yes, shes blind.

I don't think she is: wearing (not terribly strong) glasses in 2011

I'm guessing it comes from an interpretation of "and now I've not been able to see my own face for ten years" - because of the "own" I didn't interpret it that way. This was I think the most powerful line for me, even more so now it has been updated to twenty, and it would lose a lot of its power (for me) if it was "merely" referring to her being blind.

I'd guess my own habit of closing my eyes when doing presentations also led me not to consider it.
    I thought the line about having not seen her own face was referring to her having had plastic surgery. She didn't come across as blind to me.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I liked spoken word performances when I first came across them, but having watched too many of them since they're in vogue at the moment... I've really been turned off it as a medium. Like people trying too hard to be dramatic or something. Though I understand that might be an unpopular and perhaps inflammatory opinion, especially given the subject matter at hand.

I know where you're coming from - there are quite a few mega egos on the circuit. I guess the more the medium grows, the more balance will appear - in the same way as with rock acts, for example, there are millions of terrible ones, but we don't knock the genre because of the chaff.

I guess it does just come down to taste too - I <3 Kate Tempest, but some of the other performers I know don't think she's very good at all.

My personal favourite is Tshaka Campbell.
    2 heterosexual men immediately pull apart other things about the performance or subject matter rather than appreciate it for what it actually is.

I'd hardly say that me being turned off by spoken word as a medium is 'pulling it apart'.

However it's a shame that your only observation on that is my gender and sexuality.
    no, i just thought it weird that all the women thought it was amazing, but the only two hetero guys needed to find ways to criticise it somehow when none of the women did. Im sure it wasnt consciously done, but interesting all the same.
    I don't set out to criticise or praise anything. I simply describe what it made me feel and what I thought about it. That's usually a mix of positive and negative things.
    But it is an interesting response that the split in opinions correlates to the gender/sexuality split.

Call it people watching if you will, doesn't necessarily mean anything - but it can be interesting to draw dotty lines between things.
    But it is an interesting response that the split in opinions correlates to the gender/sexuality split.

Call it people watching if you will, doesn't necessarily mean anything - but it can be interesting to draw dotty lines between things.
    Totally agreed there. What I don't like is the (possibly misdetected) undertone in Suzy's observation that one reaction is "right" and others aren't.
    What the reaction that its amazing, and the reaction that she could have done it better, and this and that, etc?

I didnt say your reaction was "wrong". Your reaction is your reaction. I do find it rather interesting though.
    As a man I couldn't connect with the main themes of the piece, so I didn't feel able to comment on them, as while I felt they were communicated powerfully, I don't know how accurately they were conveyed.

The three strongest emotional connects for me were the gut-twisting ache of the loss of ones face; the stomach sinking moment of recognising ones child is coming under the same pressures that caused oneself such dificulty; and the heart raising rejection of the issue at the end.
    no, i just thought it weird that all the women thought it was amazing, but the only two hetero guys needed to find ways to criticise it somehow when none of the women did. Im sure it wasnt consciously done, but interesting all the same.

I was responding to *helen* about really loving spoken word performances.

Perhaps if there was a threaded comment option it would have been more obvious.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Perhaps if there was a threaded comment option it would have been more obvious.
    There is, check out "display" at the top of the thread.
    However people don't use this forum like that (AFAIK) so it won't make any sense. I click "quick reply" on the last message, unless I'm replying to a specific post in which case I quote it.