Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New house!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've finally been offered a council house! Its a 2 bed with a drive and a garden. I've got most of the furniture, but its the little bits around the house that I can't think of.

So far I've got-

Beds
2x bookshelves
1 chest of drawers
washing machine
fridge freezer
sofa
2 bedside tables
sideboard
towels
tea towels
bedding
half a set of crockery and a few pots and pans

and asides personal bits thats about it...

What else do I need? Oh and carpets! The place I'm moving into has had all the carpets pulled up (council's policy - hygiene reasons aparently!), any idea what I can do? Any charities I can apply to for funding for things like that? Theres going to be some minor DIY stuff that needs doing (shelves putting up stuff like that), and I can't do it due to my disability. Any ideas again on that front?

Any ideas on any fronts would be greatly apreciated! I've been reading Kirstie's homemade home and its given me too many ideas!

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

It's so exciting getting your first flat! For me it was a real turning point.

I'm so happy for you.

As for what to get I would think carpets are pretty important although you may be able to make do with a few rugs.

I don't know what it's called but there used to be some type of grant for people moving into their first council homes where you could apply for money and get about £500, I remember some of my friends doing it but I don't remember what it's called or if it still exists.

But it sounds like you've got the basics covered. You could just move in first and see what you find you need. Have you got things like plates, bowls, glasses, corkscrew etc?
  • Options
    Glasses - not really! I've broken pretty much all of them so I'm looking into buying plastic ones, but I've got sod all money. They cost about a tenner which is sod all really, but it feels like a huge amount right now!
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Glasses - not really! I've broken pretty much all of them so I'm looking into buying plastic ones, but I've got sod all money. They cost about a tenner which is sod all really, but it feels like a huge amount right now!

You can get 6 glasses for £2 at Tesco.
  • Options
    I really need plastic ones - I'm breaking about 2 a week atm!
  • Options
    Some if the tesco ones bounce pretty well. You'd get a fair supply for a tenner.
  • Options
    Community Care Grant, though it's a shit time of year to apply for one as there's probably hardly any money in the pot until April.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Community Care Grant, though it's a shit time of year to apply for one as there's probably hardly any money in the pot until April.
    That's the name I couldn't remember.
  • Options
    I really need plastic ones - I'm breaking about 2 a week atm!

You could get yourself a plastic one and some cheap glass ones for guests. Then you could always use your plastic one.
  • Options
    Don't forget curtains as well :-)

What me and Emma have done is drawn a plan of our new place with a list next to each room of what we need for it. Basically let us visualise walking through and what we need / want and where.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    What me and Emma have done is drawn a plan of our new place with a list next to each room of what we need for it. Basically let us visualise walking through and what we need / want and where.

This is a brilliant idea, some real visualisation exercises will help you out.

Like... hallway I'm gonna assume you have a hall distinct from lounge. You might want a mat to wipe feet, a place to put shoes, somewhere to hang coats, a mirror.

Kitchen, you'll want a draining board, sponges/brushes, cleaning soap/sprays, two saucepans and a frying pan, some utensils, some tea-towels, a net curtain/blind, oven gloves, toaster, kettle, teapot, chopping boards, fridgemagnets.

Bathroom, bathmat, loo brush, bleech, towels, shower curtain, blind, soap, place to store pills/razorblades/toothbrushes.

That sort of thing?
  • Options
    And obviously I can get you a sweet discount on any cookware or kitchenware if you need it :-P
  • Options
    Never got my new catalogue! :p
  • Options
    Never got my new catalogue! :p

I can post you one or just visit www.procook.co.uk :-)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Community Care Grants are being abolished from 1 April, to be replaced by a local authority scheme.

Many councils will offer you a furniture pack for when you move in, you repay it over 12 or 24 months as an additional payment on your rent.

Wilkinson's are great for random bits of shite for the house, especially plastic glasses and crockery and cheap cookware. I get quite a lot of my stuff from there.
  • Options
    I swear by wilkos for stuff around the house. They have pretty much everything you can think of and it's not bad stuff. Though I've never heard of councils ripping up carpets is that routine or just for really vile ones?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I swear by wilkos for stuff around the house. They have pretty much everything you can think of and it's not bad stuff. Though I've never heard of councils ripping up carpets is that routine or just for really vile ones?

My sisters council house had no carpets when she moved in. Might just be a coincidence. I paid to have my mum's ex council carpeted last year at £700 as well.
  • Options
    b&m bargains is amazing too if you have one near you, a little bit cheaper than wilkos iv found, and they have looooads of stuff.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »

My friend had to buy her own carpet too.
  • Options
    Personally, I'd buy rugs, they're easier to take away, and easier to clean
  • Options
    I'm just worried about trip hazards. It's being such a pain in the arse to try and find people to help. Still having issues to get my ex's stuff out and my keys back. I'm just getting really worried about it all. :(
  • Options
    congratulations. Thats great news!
  • Options
    I'm getting more and more worries about it. Some of it is big things - like not having a cooker, or carpets and big stuff like that. Others small stuff - like where stuff is going to go. I'm just really freaking out about it all. I've got a social worker coming over on Monday to do a care assessment, and an OT coming to do an assessment once I've properly moved in. I'm getting concerned about being there on my own and not having support. Mama riot asked me to warm dinner up on the hob because we were too tired to make something from scratch. But I left the hob on accidentally. It's not the first time. I'm getting so worried I'm just not capable of looking after myself anymore.
  • Options
    How about spending slightly less time worrying about things that you may or may not be able to do, and working up a massive list of problems in your head to endlessly contemplate, and spend slightly more time concentrating on doing the really dull basic essentials in life that the rest of us have to just get on with?

Concentrate on how to cook dinner, rather than fussing over all the ifs and buts and maybes, and just maybe you'd have fewer problems with it. And on those lines, stop fussing now about the fact you left the hob on. Most likely outcome from that is you get a slightly higher energy bill and the room gets warm.

Not having a cooker isn't great - but it's manageable.

Not having carpets is going to be ugly, but that's about it. Carpets are by no means an essential item to make a place inhabitable.

Where stuff is going to go is realistically wherever it gets placed, however things happen to work out on the day you get it there. Over time you'll decide that things would be better in a different place and they'll get moved.

The only way you're going to get support is if you live there on your own, and you and the system work out what you actually can and can't do. It's a sucky system, but pretty much the only way to get help from it is to prove that you need it by failing in the first instance.
  • Options
    Everyone leaves the hob on now and then
  • Options
    I'm calming down a bit now. I think having that dream plus social services calling yesterday out me out of sorts.

I'm going to see if I can see it before we get the keys - just so I have an idea of what it's like. I don't know if there's a dining room or if its all open plan down stairs. I think that would lay most of my worries to rest. I have got a microwave so I can at least do some stuff in there until I can get a grant from the local charitable trust. Carpets - yeah I'm still worried about the tripping and slipping, I do it enough on carpet but I think it might be something I can get a grant for again.

I just need to keep packing up now, and hope its ok when I get there!
  • Options
    Thought about checking your local freegle/freecycle for stuff? only issue there is picking stuff up, but some people might be nice enough to help out :)
  • Options
    I saw 150 carpet tiles on gumtree yesterday for £75 or something just FYI! Might look a bit like an office but is better than bare concrete and floorboards, and you can throw some rugs over and it will be quite nice until you can afford to get some proper carpets in.

Can always help you with little bits, just at the minute am doing my own move, contending with a cold AND now contending with a fucked up foot.
  • Options
    I'll have a look at that now! Although someone has given me the number of a cheap carpet place so I'm going to check that out too.

Freecycle is something I'm really hot on, but its ferociously competitive around here. Things go in seconds!
  • Options
    I'm not even registered on freecycle hehe.

Gumtree and eBay all the way for me. Gumtree seems to be 1/4 of the price but has the same problem that good things go quickly.
  • Options
    Or you could buy 2 carpet remnants and strap them to your feet, hey presto the feeling of plush carpet in every room of the house!