Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

music: did you like what you grew up with?. or do you have diffrent taste

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
so i was inspired by a discussion i've just had another forum about bob marley.

i pointed out that all though i grew up with his music, i don't really like him.. i don't hate him, but he's not someone who i'd choose to listen to.

so, i'm just wondering- did any of you grow up with 1 artist or group, but found out actually.. oh i don't like them?

or has the music you grew up with shaped what you like today
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    When i was really young i liked the obvious spice girls, steps, s club 7, etc, i still like them now but for nostaglia reasons.

When i was growing up through my teens i went through phases of trying out different things to see where i belonged, started out a bit chavvy, listening to hip hop and stuff, then went gothy and listened to metallica, guns n roses.

Now im into the 50s and contemporary rockabilly and rock n roll and i feel like i belong there. I dont mind a bit of heavy rock now and then but i wouldnt go out and buy an album or anything
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Not exactly what you're asking, but I didn't use to like the musician who's my favourite now because I didn't get the feelings behind the lyrics and thought they were just nonsense. Now, the lyrics are the reason he's my favourite.
  • Options
    Not exactly what you're asking, but I didn't use to like the musician who's my favourite now because I didn't get the feelings behind the lyrics and thought they were just nonsense. Now, the lyrics are the reason he's my favourite.

that was me with torie amos

when i was very little, someone got me a cd with an interview of hers on it- and i really didon't like it at all- i listened to it and thought, ah well,... i'll just throw it in the back somewhere- so i don't have to listen to it

but as i got older, i realised that torie amos's lyrics actually meant something to me- and started to really like her.

just wish i kept the interview... lol
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Hard to say. I think I still like most of the music I grew up with.

I still like the stuff my parents used to play; Teenage kicks, Leader of the pack, Talking heads, Maddness, Toya, Kate Bush, The Cranberries, Alanis Morissette, Annie Lennex, Cher, Bette Midler, The B52s, R.E.M.
    Then there's the ones that were out in the charts, like Steps, S Club, Take That. Not really into Steps and S Club like I used to be, find them a bit cheesy and annoying now. I never liked Take That growing up, but now I sort of do. I think their newer songs are better than their old ones. :chin: