Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lemme see your desktop!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay first of all... what happened to the tech section?! I swear there was one last year! O.o oh well and secondly I am just curious at what everyones desktop looks like. :/ Anyway I'll start the thread off with a quick screenshot for you all! :D

2013-02-24-123240_1024x600_scrot.png

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Attachment not found.
    There is mine.
    Whyy does it come under travel and free time?! O.o
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    this is mine atm
    OMFG THAT LOOKS SOO CLEAN! better than most desktops I've seen. :/
    Attachment not found.
    There is mine.
    May I ask where you got your desktop background from? I just <3 it! :3
    omg hi wrote: »
    this is mine atm
    Cute!
    Am I the only one who uses plain old linux cli here? O.o
    XHelenBX wrote: »
    May I ask where you got your desktop background from? I just <3 it! :3

Omg hi's desktop looks like St Pauls cathedral in London. As for mine, I can't stand clutter on the desktop. If you have a look on my hard drive you will find a horrifically OCD filing system within it, and in the My Documents.
    nawh thanks :)
    You will find that in my hard drive and in the tagging of my music library, however I'm not OCD.
    Omg hi's desktop looks like St Pauls cathedral in London. As for mine, I can't stand clutter on the desktop. If you have a look on my hard drive you will find a horrifically OCD filing system within it, and in the My Documents.
    You're welcome hun
    nawh thanks :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Here (scaled down and censored): https://www.dropbox.com/s/814lqzkse804fd8/2013-02-24.jpg
    Am I the only one who uses plain old linux cli here? O.o
    Probably, I doubt many people find CLI more usable than a proper DE. But it seems you're using a DE too, maybe one of the tiling ones?
    You can move the thread, btw.
    Omg hi's desktop looks like St Pauls cathedral in London.

:yes:

took it myself a few years ago :)
    Yeah I use terminator on top of i3. I use X really so I can have a graphical web browser. Is that KDE?
    Here (scaled down and censored): https://www.dropbox.com/s/814lqzkse804fd8/2013-02-24.jpg

Probably, I doubt many people find CLI more usable than a proper DE. But it seems you're using a DE too, maybe one of the tiling ones?
    You can move the thread, btw.
    Yeah I use terminator on top of i3. I use X really so I can have a graphical web browser. Is that KDE?
    Yeah, 4.10. I didn't use to be a KDE person but after Gnome was ruined I realised it's a lot better than it used to be.
    Mine changes between different pictures, all of Kurt Cobain smoking.
    Yeah I am annoyed at gnome-shell and unity. :/ I am however happy that people are forking the good old gnome! :D
    Yeah, 4.10. I didn't use to be a KDE person but after Gnome was ruined I realised it's a lot better than it used to be.
    What make/model of netbook is that?
    Mine changes between different pictures, all of Kurt Cobain smoking.
    Yeah I am annoyed at gnome-shell and unity. :/ I am however happy that people are forking the good old gnome! :D
    Cinnamon isn't too bad, but still too young and missing abilities. MATE is fine but it feels exactly like Gnome 2, instead of evolving, and that's kinda outdated for me.
    This discussion is derailing the thread...
    What make/model of netbook is that?

how did you know I have a netbook? :lol:
    how did you know I have a netbook? :lol:
    Elementary, my dear Watson. *puts pipe in mouth and spits it out* Why do people like this??
    Anyway: You have a very low resolution.
    You can have a gander at my unencrypted windows drive :)
    I'll boot up my Windows 8 one later.

Also on the subject of linux, if I'm not using Steam for Call of Duty, I use various linux distro's just not CLI (I just don't see the need when you can have a GUI).
    Although i run BackTrack in CLI.
    You're right the gnome was ruined with Unity. Still rocking Ubuntu 7.10 when it had the nice interface (Gnome 2 i think?).
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    My desktop backgrounds really lame in comparison to everyone else's!
    Screenshots are the same resolution as the screen of the display they were taken from. Your resolution is of a netbook resolution and a unique one for netbooks at that.
    Elementary, my dear Watson. *puts pipe in mouth and spits it out* Why do people like this??
    Anyway: You have a very low resolution.
    I am happy that Valve are porting Steam to Linux but I hope they don't use wine, what I hate is, is that they're supporting Ubuntu, also I am very pissed off at Blizzard for keeping a Linux version of WoW from the general public. :/
    Shikari wrote: »
    You can have a gander at my unencrypted windows drive :)
    I'll boot up my Windows 8 one later.

Also on the subject of linux, if I'm not using Steam for Call of Duty, I use various linux distro's just not CLI (I just don't see the need when you can have a GUI).
    Although i run BackTrack in CLI.
    You're right the gnome was ruined with Unity. Still rocking Ubuntu 7.10 when it had the nice interface (Gnome 2 i think?).
    I own a licensed copy of the Motif window manager... but I don't use it any more, I mostly use 4Dwm, but keep hoping that Enlightenment will be usable one day.
    I am happy that Valve are porting Steam to Linux but I hope they don't use wine, what I hate is, is that they're supporting Ubuntu, also I am very pissed off at Blizzard for keeping a Linux version of WoW from the general public. :/

Yeah it's great with Valve porting to linux, if all future games are released onto linux (Such as CoD/BF3 etc) then i will never have a need for Windows again. Although graphic driver support isn't amazing still.
    I think Windows 7 will always be the gamers choice of OS. (Well not always...)

I don't even realise they had a Linux version of WoW at all, no surprise it hasn't been released, most companies don't like providing large programs and updates for windows. Photoshop being a perfect example.
    Would be quite cool to see WoW running natively on linux.