Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

This is a bit of an odd post - with a bit of everything.

I may have a date next week. I've only 'dabbled' in dating, so it's all a bit scary :nervous: In fact I wouldn't really say I've ever had a proper formal date.

I guess part of it is my self-esteem is pretty low, and I just think everyone is going to hate me. I can sometimes fake confidence so hopefully that will be OK. And then I feel like I have SO MUCH baggage. I've not done too well after a messy breakup AND I'm generally just quite ill. Like... there are better more carefree options out there really ;)

Also. To do with my mental health. I'd probably not want to mention it until WAY down the line. But that point is probably quite a bit after I'd have sex with someone. And I have self-harm scars. That's a bit :rolleyes:

I obviously just want to go with the flow, see some people, see how it goes.... But I want to have at least thought about these issues beforehand and be sort of prepared... rather than BAM DECIDE WHAT TO SAY NOW sort of thing.

Comments

• Options
    Firstly, don't worry about mental health just yet. If you're doing internet dating, especially on OK Cupid, it is fairly likely they also have some mental health problems. I'm not being unkind; at least 1 in 4 people will at some point.

As for the scars, I can only suggest don't make a big deal out of it. My scars are pretty noticeable but I just carry on as normal.

Don't go into the date wanting sex out of it. Just enjoy a nice drink or dinner and if they're interesting it's a bonus. If there's a click depression won't put them off but there's no need to pour your heart out before a first date.

I hope it goes well. Try and relax, you're attractive and intelligent.Just let that shine through. And if there's no click it's probably them not you!
  • Options
    Yeah that's the plan. Figure I might as well take some chances. Worst that can happen is it's a bit awkward, and we don't see each other again, but at least I know.

And I'm definitely not intending to pour my heart out.... Just feel a bit of a fraud. It's the same in lots of areas of my life, I feel like by making a massive effort to not let my cracks show through I'm tricking people. Can anyone relate?
  • Options
    Pretty braindead right now but wanted to say yes I can relate to that feeling but it really isn't the same as lying at all. It's your business and you're being sensible and selective about who you tell it to.

Also have fun! How exciting :yippe:
  • Options
    Being selective about what you say and who you say it to is really not the same as lying or "stopping the cracks showing through". Everyone has baggage of one form or another. And on a first date everyone wants to show their best side; putting on your favourite dress isn't any different to emotionally putting on your best face. You don't see wearing your nicest clothes as "lying" about the battered old PJs you scuff about in on a Sunday morning when nobody is looking.
  • Options
    I think it is different actually. Wearing scruffy clothes isn't really going to change someone's mind about me, but finding out about how messed up I am would easily change me from dateable to undateable. Sigh. I should just not bother.
  • Options
    Part of the click, part of the vibe you get on a date, is how they see people with mental health problems. You'd usually be able to tell if it will be an issue long before you need to say anything.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi YellowSeaHorse

What the other are saying makes a lot of sense, I just wanted to say:

You talk about going through mental health problems and baggage as only a negative thing. But people come as a whole - with easier and more difficult sides. Going through difficult times can teach you a lot about yourself, which can develop a lot of good qualities that someone who hasn't gone through the same just wouldn't have.

So, a more carefree option might, for example, have a lot less depth than you. You definitely seem to be self-aware. And people who have had to look at themselves more are often better able to understand and relate to things that other people find difficult. Depth, self-awareness and understanding are all very appealing things to have in a partner!

I hope the date goes well :)
  • Options
    I can identify with what you are saying as I've had mental health problems and am also rather inexperienced at dating.

Hope it goes well for you !
  • Options
    Went ok ;)
  • Options
    Ooh, spill the gossip ;)
  • Options
    Ooh, spill the gossip ;)

Nahhhh ;)
  • Options
    Will there be a second date?

I've been on both sides of the coin on this one. Having a positive attitude about it all really helps, and your mental health issues do not define you as a person. You are you first and foremost! Like the great oracle arctic said - if things click then they click. It's totally your choice about if and how you tell them - for instance I walk with a stick because of the fibromyalgia. Most of the time I won't bring it up unless I'm asked or it comes to a point where I really need to. But mental health issues aren't like walking with a stick, and you're not lying by not saying anything and tbh, you'd probably get a bit freaked out if someone just told their entire life story on the first date! Just tread lightly and see how it goes.
  • Options
    And stop being a spoil sport.

Spill....................

And yes, my interest is partly motivated by the complete and utter lack of gossip in my own life.
  • Options
    I demand gossip!
  • Options
    Haha. So he stayed the night (mainly because of transport issues). Second date is on Sunday. Erm it takes me a while for me to figure out if I fancy someone ha, but he's a really nice guy and I enjoyed myself. It's early days so who knows what will happen but it does feel ok to be back at it :)
  • Options
    What sort of "stayed the night"?:naughty:
  • Options
    Ha. Stayed the night in my bed - but nothing happened. Well not nothing, but not everything if you get my drift ;) jeeeez you guys are bad :p

Was fun faking his departure at 11pm and then hiding him from my housemates until they left in the morning....
  • Options
    Did you touch his man bits?! LOL glad it went well treacle.
  • Options
    Did you fall asleep or was it fingers and tops? :razz:
  • Options
    Shhhh you guys!
  • Options
    :d
  • Options
    Think I'm sabotaging it tbh. As per usuaallll.
  • Options
    How so?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I demand gossip!

I don't want to worry you, but i've heard that rubberskin might be gay. Dont tell anyone i told you. Shhhhhh
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I don't want to worry you, but i've heard that rubberskin might be gay. Dont tell anyone i told you. Shhhhhh

OMG I had NO idea. Who told you that?