Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

self harm experiences: the good, the bad and the ugly

2»

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Yes - important to hear about the well trained GPs too, it feels like things are moving on.
    And just to add - we can use the positive examples in the pledge - to show the ones who aren't up to speed that there are role models out there! :yes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The worst i find it when people say its attention seeking and its like what!? of course i mean cos i hide it because i want everyone to see it for the attention.. of course.. -_-
    I once overheard my entire college class discussing it after one of them had seen something and thought she'd bring it up with everyone else, made me feel sick tbh, non of them know me that well and the idea of people knowing made me feel awful, which is why i will never get how people can think its to do with attention.

Think the best reaction i've ever had is from counsellors who are the only people i've ever told really, rather than someone catching me out. I've found all the ones cept one (which would be 5 outta 6) have been really good about it. Some of the ones i've worked with for a long time have asked to see them and although i found it difficult at times, they were good about it.

Me experience with GP's so far has been rubbish, but i think it depends on the person rather than the profession and i do keep trying with them.

and tbh never been given any good advice on it :L cept how to stop them getting infected.
    for me,

i find that people are really quick to judge.. you know, you start talking about self harm- and people are too quick to say oh no it's wrong, don't do it, etc etc.

if people had a better understanding of why people want to self harm to start with (the reasons behind it) i do think that it would be less of a difficult thing to talk about

good experiences?

hmm... i can't actually think of any- everyone i've talked to either don't want to listen to me talk about it, and the other half enbcourage me to do it.. it's like, you can't win!
    **helen** wrote: »

Got strangely emotional watching this. Really hope it makes a difference