Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

self harm experiences: the good, the bad and the ugly

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's self harm awareness day on 1st March and TheSite Leaders were talking this evening about how to approach self harm and our experiences in talking about it.
    What are you experiences of talking about self harm- the good, the bad, the ugly?
    What useful things have people said to you?
    What are the worst things you've heard?
    What do you wish people knew in regards to self harm?

I think one of the biggest things I'd want people, who haven't experienced self harm to know it that getting rid of whatever object you use won't stop self harm or cure you. Self harm isn't a case of just cutting, there are a lot of hidden, underlying feelings which are hard to vocalise.

The size of the injury isn't a reflection on how you feel.

When talking about self harm I'm worried that it will give people ideas and they too will do what I've done.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    The thing that really gets to me is when people use references to it "inappropriately". Someone at work the other day said something along the lines of "we don't want you all to be doing so much work you end up cutting your wrists" or something similar. My first thought was "WTF?!" follwed by anger that this person obviously thinks that doing a lot of work leads to self-harm. Ermmmm... just no. It's attitudes like that that need to change- I wish this person knew more about it so they did not make statements like that.

I've never really talked about SH though- it's usually something I brush off as I find it a senstitive subject as few people know I have had problems with it and I don't want that to change. I had a few sessions of councilling at uni, and even when the inevitable question of "have you ever SH'ed?" came up I just nodded and refused to say much else, apart from maybe a quick mumbled sentence.

Not quite SH related- but I heard one of my parents say "oh I do wish she'd just snap out of it" when talking about my Gran being put in a home and subsequently stopping eating much and generally looking so glum and unhappy and giving up for all the months she was there before she died. I think she may have ended up with depression, but not diagnosed. I remember feeling bad myself at that point in time (was when my SH was at it's worst), and wanting to shout at my parents that it wouldn't be that easy... I can't manage it, how would my Gran?
  • Options
    The thing that really gets to me is when people use references to it "inappropriately". Someone at work the other day said something along the lines of "we don't want you all to be doing so much work you end up cutting your wrists" or something similar. My first thought was "WTF?!" follwed by anger that this person obviously thinks that doing a lot of work leads to self-harm. Ermmmm... just no. It's attitudes like that that need to change- I wish this person knew more about it so they did not make statements like that.

this, definitely.
  • Options
    ella! wrote: »
    I think one of the biggest things I'd want people, who haven't experienced self harm to know it that getting rid of whatever object you use won't stop self harm or cure you. Self harm isn't a case of just cutting, there are a lot of hidden, underlying feelings which are hard to vocalise.

The size of the injury isn't a reflection on how you feel.

YES THIS. *ahem* I've even had consultant psychiatrists (yes, more than one, on more than one occasion) tell me that if the wounds don't look deep it's not that bad. (Just on a glance. I detested showing the wounds to anyone so that was the ultimate knockback.)

Also I've found attitudes to the fact I have scars vary from dismissive (who gives a shit?) to downright nasty (you chose to do that you have to live with the fact you can't show them in public, it's like having an offensive tattoo). What I need is for people to just say "It's ok. It's a bit upsetting at first, but it's you." Very few people say that.
  • Options
    I did...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I did...

Yes. You did.
  • Options
    i worked for the nhs (in a mental health service, of all places) and as soon as they noticed i had scarred arms (which were clearly years old, they never saw anything remotely recent) they gave me the third degree and implied that because i had a mental health problem myself i might be a danger to the children using the service (i can mention this now as i no longer work there). i was also told that most of the staff had been discussing it behind my back, but none of them had the guts to actually speak to me about it because they were 'scared of upsetting me'.

i've been told many times that i will grow out of it, most recently by a customer at work who leaned over the bar to take a good look and told me how her daughter did it but 'it was just a phase'. once a colleague told me i was a 'psycho' and 'more fucked up than michael jackson'.

once when i was out with some friends from uni, a girl i know who was a bit pissed shouted really loudly 'you've got scars!' and everyone looked at me, even though she'd seen them loads of times before. i didn't know what to do so i just said, 'yes i know i do, but thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention'. she then cried about it and i felt terrible.

these are more the exception than the rule to be honest, in general people have managed to communicate with me without feeling the need to say anything. sometimes i will mention it as a joke, like the other week at work people were talking about tattoos and i said 'i'm a bit scared of the pain... ironic really' and because they all know me if was cool, but obviously i will pick who i joke with. if people have ever said anything i've told them i don't mind telling them about it, and i think by allowing them to see by rolling my sleeves up i open myself up to their comments, and i'm prepared to take them, as long as they aren't rude. i don't even notice people staring because i'm used to it.

i do agree about taking away whatever you self harm with not making much difference, and i remember as a teenager being fiercely angry when my mum for taking things away (although in a way it was funny because she would take things i'd never self-harm with like nail scissors but not notice all the razor blades hidden in a plant pot), but i understand why she did it and i would do exactly the same if if was my child. she knew i'd only go out and buy more but i know that she needed to feel that she was doing something about it and not just leaving me to get on with it. so i think taking the things away is fair enough, providing the person that does it is there to support you, and is prepared to be with you at the times when you would usually turn to self-harm.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    once when i was out with some friends from uni, a girl i know who was a bit pissed shouted really loudly 'you've got scars!' and everyone looked at me, even though she'd seen them loads of times before. i didn't know what to do so i just said, 'yes i know i do, but thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention'. she then cried about it and i felt terrible.

Drunk people are the best :rolleyes:

Someone approached me at Hallowe'en once and started stroking my arms then shouted "Oh my God, they're real! I thought it was really good makeup."

I agree to an extent that showing the scars opens the way for people to comment. That's why I mostly don't, I can't handle it.

I do think there needs to be more education on mental health in schools and the workplace. I had some really bad teaching during my pastoral psychology course and there was no real way to challenge it (I did take my concerns to the vice-principal, but wasn't prepared to air them in public by challenging the teacher). I worry that people are taught all sorts of wrong things about how mental health affects people and how to relate to people with mental health problems. I never disclose my full diagnosis, because it's so open to interpretation and I don't want to be pigeon-holed.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but the person I'm seeing has a lot of obvious scars and I personally love them (so does he). They tell a story and show what he's come through. But he does cover them up when out and about because he gets sick of strangers pointing out the obvious. The general opinions I tend to hear about SH is either you're attention seeking or a psycho. Or people just simply can't get their head around it so they make tactless comments. It seems to be a lack of understanding and empathy.
  • Options
    I wish self harm wasn't so hard to talk about :( Whenever i try i feel completely misunderstood and bad. So i've stopped talking about it with people i know. I wish my family and friends knew how much of a battle it is.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    It seems to be a lack of understanding and empathy.

definitely, i think that 99% of the time people aren't meaning to be offensive, they just don't know what the right reaction is and end up saying something inappropriate.
  • Options
    double post
  • Options
    When I was at school, my housemaster found out about my self harm, and tried to get me expelled on the basis that 'one bad apple spoils the lot' (he actually said that to me, as well as calling me stupid and selfish). However the school wouldn't let him kick me out, on the grounds that expelling someone for being unhappy wouldn't make them look very good if I made a fuss about it.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    When I was at school, my housemaster found out about my self harm, and tried to get me expelled on the basis that 'one bad apple spoils the lot' (he actually said that to me, as well as calling me stupid and selfish). However the school wouldn't let him kick me out, on the grounds that expelling someone for being unhappy wouldn't make them look very good if I made a fuss about it.

Jeez that's awful.

Agree with Ballerina, there is definitely a lack of understanding surrounding self harm and mental illness. Worryingly, I think this stems to health care professionals too, even those working within mental health. Upon ringing the crisis line, I have been told to "have a nice bath and sleep on it, things will be better in the morning" after stating how I feel/what I'd done. From experience, if you try to raise poor treatment, you get the whole let's try and pacify the mentalist so they don't do anything too crazy, without actually attempting to sort out the real problem/s. But because of this bad experiences, people are less willing (understandably so) to speak out and the stigma remains. Vicious circle.
  • Options
    The general opinions I tend to hear about SH is either you're attention seeking or a psycho.

This :yes:
  • Options
    I'm quite open with my self harm amongst friends, its been on and off a large problem in my life for over 10 years. One thing I do find hard is people to understand the addictive nature (for me anyway). E.g. they'll say well its not like you do that anymore as I have had it under control for around 2 years but I still get the urges all the time I just manage them a lot better.

Best?
    The most useful thing for me is when people who can't understand accept that and stop trying. A very good friend of mine has never understood and doesn't try to which mean I don't have to try and explain myself to her, she'll just give me a hug and ask whats up, instead of commenting on the SH.

Worst?
    The first time I ever went to a doctor about it, he laughed and said I didn't look like a self-harmer.
    Needless to say I fled and didn't seek help for a further 3 months after that. It still mortifies me thinking about it and it was 9 years ago.

Agree on the objects thing. I mostly used razor blades but if I didn't have them I'd just punch walls. If someone wants to hurt themselves, they will find a way.
  • Options
    I came across this earlier, found it really moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-csUiWfTXQ
  • Options
    I had a friend tell me she hated me for self harming, and couldn't understand why somebody would want to do that. Lets just say I know longer see or speak to her.
    That situation made me not want to tell any one else for quite a while, but once I started to talk to my friends again about it, they were supportive and didn't judge me.

I don't know whether my friends reaction was about lack of knowledge about the subject or whether she just did generally hate me.
  • Options
    they always say that self harm is attention seeking- which is ridiculous because every single person seeks attention whether they are cutting or not. i wrote a blog post on the issue of being called attention seeking because it affects so many people.
    feel free to have a read of it:

http://utterlycray.blogspot.co.uk/

this issue really makes me angry because another thing is people think you can just stop cutting, but its a gradual process as you change your state of mind- and you can't do it alone!
  • Options
    I had a friend who used to actually SH in front of me when I went for a sleepover. Though I think if you do that you're either attention seeking or crying out for help. But she'd tell me not to freak out and make a fuss so I just kind of ignored it and pretended it was normal. Though looking back I thought it was quite weird to do it in front of me then tell me to shut up and not make a fuss. Bad I know but when you're 14 it's pretty unknown territory.
  • Options
    yeah- im guessing that was something to do with needing some care or attention, or perhaps she wanted you to think of her as vulnerable; as you said, it could have been a cry for help, although it does seem like something rather unusual to do. if you need someone to talk to about it, talk to me or the Samaritans or another online help page. today is self harm awareness day, so today is a good day to speak out about it.
  • Options
    She had a lot of issues and was a bit of an attention seeker anyway, one time she started a rumour that she was pregnant which quickly got out but everyone would come and ask me instead of her. I didn't know what to say so I refused to discuss it but everyone quickly figured out she was probably lying. Then she had a 'miscarriage'
  • Options
    My positive experiences of talking about it has almost always been on this messageboard because of the amount of sensitivity and understanding a lot of posters here have. I've never really discussed it properly with friends, my bestfriends know that I have self harmed in the past but they've admitted that they don't really have a lot of experience or really understand why someone would choose to harm themselves.

Negative experiences.. Really ignorent G.Ps who seem to have no compassion or understanding of SH or depression. Top 2 stupid things a GP has said to me include 'Well what do you want me to do?' and at my darkest period and pretty much comotose to what was going around me my mum dragged me to the G.P really worried just before I was admitted to hospital and he said 'Speak! Why are you not speaking??'.

Also I'm not sure if this counts but something which still resonates really powerfully is my mum's reaction to me self-harming when she came into my room and saw the mess and me on the floor with blades. She just felt so helpless, cried and pleaded with me not to do it again telling me she loved me and couldn't bear it. It isn't the wrong reaction to self harm at all, it's probably the most understandable one coming from a mother. I still get upset thinking about how much I hurt her and how upset she was.

No one really mentions my scars though they are pretty noticable especially in summer. My friends know they're there and my boyfriend noticed them before we started dating but said that he didn't want to ask about it initially because he guessed what they were. (He had SH'd in the past)

When working at a school with really young children, a little boy asked what the marks were but I just fobbed him off with cat scratches :D He seemed satisfied at that and it was just innocent curiosity.
  • Options
    Yeah ive had children at nursery ask about my scars. I just say its a poorly. :)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Negative experiences.. Really ignorent G.Ps who seem to have no compassion or understanding of SH or depression. Top 2 stupid things a GP has said to me include 'Well what do you want me to do?' and at my darkest period and pretty much comotose to what was going around me my mum dragged me to the G.P really worried just before I was admitted to hospital and he said 'Speak! Why are you not speaking??'.

This is really insightful - and disturbing! We're actually in the process of looking to create a pledge for GPs in relation to self-harm so it would be good to know if there are any more experiences along these lines that we can challenge with it.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    When I was at school, my housemaster found out about my self harm, and tried to get me expelled on the basis that 'one bad apple spoils the lot'

Now there's a nominee for Cunt of the Century
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    This is really insightful - and disturbing! We're actually in the process of looking to create a pledge for GPs in relation to self-harm so it would be good to know if there are any more experiences along these lines that we can challenge with it.

Ah I'm sure there are tons!

I got the impression that my G.P was of the old school variety but it's no excuse.
  • Options
    Your GPs reaction was interesting - I had almost the opposite experience. When I went to the doctors suffering badly with depression and anxiety (I wasn't SHing), her reaction was that they couldn't offer me any help because I wasn't 'slicing my arms up and threatening to kill myself' meant I wasn't serious enough to get any help because they were already full to the brim with more serious cases. So basically I had to be cutting myself up and threatening suicide to be taken seriously. I got the same from another GP and then on the 3rd GP I went to see (I think it helped our family knew him anyway as my brother and his son were in the same class) put me straight on beta blockers and booked me to see a therapist specialising in anxiety. All at the same practice too.
  • Options
    Your GPs reaction was interesting - I had almost the opposite experience. When I went to the doctors suffering badly with depression and anxiety (I wasn't SHing), her reaction was that they couldn't offer me any help because I wasn't 'slicing my arms up and threatening to kill myself' meant I wasn't serious enough to get any help because they were already full to the brim with more serious cases. So basically I had to be cutting myself up and threatening suicide to be taken seriously. I got the same from another GP and then on the 3rd GP I went to see (I think it helped our family knew him anyway as my brother and his son were in the same class) put me straight on beta blockers and booked me to see a therapist specialising in anxiety. All at the same practice too.

I found that GPs within the same practice can vary a lot in terms of support and advice. My previous GP to the one I have now told me I'd never amount to anything and I found her judgemental and verging on rude. It made communication hard because I was so worried about what her reaction was going to be. The times when I was honest with her, and I'm thinking of one time in particular, she brushed it aside and told me to get on with things. My current GP however is brilliant, I haven't had any issues and he has listened. I don't feel like he's judging me and I feel safe talking to him.

GPs need to treat mental illness are seriously as physical illness. Easier said than done I admit.
  • Options
    Just so we don't have a lot of obviously completely valid, but still very negative, views on GPs. The three that I have seen have all been capable and taken me quite seriously. My current GP retrained to be one having been a psych specialist before. I'm very lucky that when I went to see her recently she talked to me for double my appt length and in great detail about options and asked me to think and go back in two weeks to see her. She's really good, keeps read up on the subject, isn't afraid to check her notes and trusts my opinion.
  • Options
    I have found that because of stretched resources in the NHS they don't offer help when (in my opinion) they should. I could tell endless stories of people being turned away from treatment because they were working (and therefore 'ok') or because the most recent suicide attempt wasn't a 'real one'. I am reasonably sure the practitioners were doing their best on limited resources.