Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

voices

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have noticed that lately i have been hearing voices, but only when i listen to music. i often have to turn around and see if there is somebody behind me, it's when i have earphones in. is this normal or part of psychosis? i apparently suffer with psychosis anyway, and this has happened on a few occassions in the past but i thought nothing of it and thus haven't mentioned it to any doctors, but recently it's happening more.

Comments

• Options
    could well be part of psychosis.

are you on medication at the moment?
  • Options
    Hi Nutter

Have you ever heard of the Voice Collective? It's a really useful site all about hearing voices and has lots of useful information. It also has a forum which might be useful to you. I hope you're alright and that this hasn't been too scary for you.

Take care
  • Options
    i am on meds but not a high dose at all, as the docs aren't sure what i have (BPD/delusional disorder/ schizophrenia) and i've tried so many but none have done anything positive, only caused horrible side effects.
    i don't know whether to even mention it to anybody, i'm so scared that whatever i say might be taken as a sign that they need to section me again to punish me. i'm scared and don't know what to do.
  • Options
    are they antipsychotics? maybe they aren't working very well or the dose is too low, or it's the wrong drug again. you definitely should tell your team about the voices, it wouldn't be a reason for them to section you unless you gave them the impression that you are at risk, so if the voices were causing you to hurt yourself or something like that. otherwise they would probably just adjust your medication and that might make them go away. the thing is that if you tell them all of your symptoms then they are more likely to get it right with your treatment, rather than having to make an educated guess.

do the voices say anything, or is it more that you hear a sound and think someone is there?
  • Options
    i take an antipsychotic and antidepressant, and recently cocodamol cause i'm in a lot of pain.
    i understand what you're saying.
    in the past it's been a random male voice, usually saying my name, sometimes other things but i can't make out what. recently i'm not sure, but think the voice might have been my dad, saying my name and other things which again i can't make out cause it's muffled. not unusual, some years ago i thought i heard my dad having a heart attack downstairs, when i went to check, he was sat at the computer, all fine.
  • Options
    i wouldn't have thought you would be sectioned if you shared that with your team. it will be scary to do tell them, but they can make it better. you don't have to be frightened by the voices, there are things that the doctors can do to make them go away.

*hug*
  • Options
    Voices are horrible *hug*

It's taken over a year for me to find a medication that works okay, although it's starting to not work now so it is being changed again soon. There are so many different medications, you will find one that works for you eventually, as frustrating as it is, it's just trail and error.

Omg hi is right, I think you need to tell your mental health workers about all your symptoms. It may be they'll up your dose or change your meds if they know the truth, Remember mental health workers can only help if you let them.

I really don't think they'll section you if you tell them, sectioning is usually a last resort. There are definitely other things they'll do first, hopefully which will make you feel more safe and stable.