Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Landlord and notice of entering property

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically my landlord and/or his wife are in a habit of turning up to the property whenever they feel like it and letting themselves in. Just he came round twice yesterday (I'm not sure why) and last night I was cooking when he just walked into the kitchen. Also last week they didn't tell us that they were coming to replace the broken shower and were then here for several hours installing it and making lots of noise. They've been giving us notice when they need access to our rooms but have said when they don't need to come into our rooms they don't need to give notice. Is this right? Because it's starting to get on our nerves as it doesn't feel like our own place as we never know when he's just going to show up? I thought they had to give 24 hours notice to enter the property at all?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not an expert, but the 24 hours notice thing does ring a bell. Have a look at your contract and see what it says in there. When I was a tennant I didn't mind the landlord coming round at short notice, he did ring in advance though. He lived just around the corner and once rang me asking if it was ok if he came round, and within two hours he had built us a new gate. I guess it all depends on personal situation, and the main problem seems to be the unannounced visits.
    I thought it was 24 hours notice for the house...
    I honestly wouldn't complain, if your landlord is coming round sorting things out and fixing things, then he's better than most.
    You could just politely ask him, to knock/text/call before hand though.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I thought they had to give 24 hours notice to enter the property at all?

Correct.
    He should be giving you 24 hours notice and it should say so in the contract.

Also it's just common courtesy- I hate that landlords don't seem to think it applies to them... gr
    Just read through the contract and there's nothing in there about them giving notice to enter the property
    'Access to a Property

As a tenant, you have the right to private accommodation. Your landlord or letting agency must give you 24 hours written notice should they wish to enter the property, while as a tenant you are obliged to meet any reasonable request for access.

This right can be lifted in exceptional circumstances, for example in the case of an emergency such as a burst pipe when you are not home.'

from http://www.uknetguide.co.uk/Homes_and_Gardens/Article/A_Guide_to_Tenants_Rights-106015.html
    Hey there Ballerina,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your landlord - it must be really annoying having your landlord just turn up with out notice. I'm sure you're pleased with the repairs but you are entitled to quiet enjoyment of your home.

The law puts an implied term in tenancies (so doesn't matter that your tenancy agreement doesn't say it expressly) that landlords can enter their rented properties at reasonable times of the day on giving the tenants/occupiers at least 24 hours written notice. Essentially they have to ask your permission first before coming round.

If the problem persists, then you might want to seek legal advice. You can submit a question to our askTheSite service where an expert will get back to you - http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite
    Or you could try the Shelter helpline - 0808 800 4444 (http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/how_we_can_help/housing_advice_helpline)

I hope this helps.

:)
    It's already happened twice this morning, he decided to repair the doorbell at 9am so was walking in and out all morning and kept ringing it to test it. Then his wife has just been round to drop off a new iron - I'm not sure if the other's are broken because I don't use them. It happened yesterday morning too when he randomly bought a builder round to get some quotes on some work which was quite disconcerting as I was getting dressed at the time and my door is right by the front door and while it was shut it was just resting on the catch. Had a word with one of my housemates last night who's also getting annoyed and says he's going to send him an email to ask him to give us notice, because it's happening most days.
    If you're all renting separate rooms then it gets a little complicated, as the landlord often doesn't need to give notice to enter the communal areas. He should as a matter of courtesy but he really only needs to give the notice to enter your bedroom.

If you are jointly renting the house then he does need to give you notice. "Reasonable notice" isn't usually defined by the Office of Fair Trading guidelines (for what they're worth now the OFT is being abolished) say 24 hours' notice in writing.

A polite email just asking him to let you know should work. The trouble is there isn't any easy way of enforcing the contract if he chooses to ignore it, other than moving out. As we all know, thanks to Thatcher tenants in the UK have absolutely no rights.
    Yea I think if there is one tenancy agreement that you are all on, then notice is required. If there are separate tenancy agreements for each tenant, then no notice required for communal areas.
    It's separate agreements. It wouldn't be so much of a problem if it wasn't happening nearly every day, some times several times a day.
    Why did you rent a place with so many broken things?

But yeah, I'd just give him a text asking if he can text someone before he comes round in future. Most people are pretty reasonable, so I don't think you need to get the law book out just yet.

Although I've heard about landlords basically using this sort of thing to check up on tenants.
    Nothing is broken as far as I'm aware, I don't even know why he comes round most of the time. He is quite finicky so tends to pick at things and find jobs that don't need doing. Like he's having builders put up a fence inside the yard today :confused:
    I think if he is constantly being disruptive you may have a legitimate civil claim. However could you be bothered? I don't think I could.

I think if you talk to landlord ask him nicely to try to give you guys more notice (I have same setup but landlord always texts everyone like a week in. Advance saying electrician is coming, can anyone let him in, etc.), if he ignores you then it's probably put up or shut up.
    He let's us know if someone is coming round, he just doesn't tell us when he's coming round and just let's himself in, doesn't even knock. We are going to mention it, it might not be a legal requirement but it's still polite. He only lets to over 21's so it would be nice to be treated like one