Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Anyone with experience of Northwood Property Lettings?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya,

Been to see a flat, good price, good to location, perfect for our needs. Only hesitation in proceeding is whether these letting agents will rip us off. Every other property I've rented (and I've been renting for 6 years) has been through a private landlords and not really had any problems. A red flag went up when they were saying about administration fees and guarantor bonds (non refundable) as well as the relatively inflexible periodic tenancy (you have to say yes/no to extend for 6 months, 2 months prior to expiry of tenancy period).

Thanks

Me

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sadly, that's all pretty standard these days. There's nothing legally to stop them from charging those things, but you can require them to prove that it's a standard fee (show you a leaflet or something), and that they're not just making it up.
    Yep all pretty standard, you're likely to be charged those kind of fees if you use any lettings agency. Dunno about extending for 6 months though - I've always signed a 6 month contract to begin with, then once those 6 months are up it moves onto a rolling contract so you only have to give a months notice from then on.

Fees are expensive but I've always found it better to go through a lettings agent rather than privately in terms of getting things fixed quickly/problems being sorted out.
    Hey ShyBoy,

Not sure about this specific lettings agency, but I thought you might find this page from Shelter helpful - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/finding_a_place_to_live/renting_privately/letting_agencies
    They outline some of the 'kite marks' to look out for when deciding on a lettings agency and also some questions to ask them (try to get their answers in writing, e.g. email).

Also, have you tried doing a quick Internet search?

Good luck with the flat hunt. :thumb:
    Found a flat, in the end we went with a nice flat that was a little bit bigger, with a letting agent who is a local company and the owner is friends with my brother so hopefully won't get messed around too much! :-D