Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

CAKE in a microwave

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yes, I'm currently baking a cake (or at least trying to bake one) in a microwave. Panic not, this microwave does have an oven function. With my recent slow cooker recipes and attempts at oven cooking in a oven function microwave, I think I'm getting quite good at cooking on a budget and also making use of a relative lack of facilities in a confined area. Do any of you have any awesome tricks of the trade or advice for those who might not have a full kitchen or a massive budget?

Comments

• Options
    ygana.jpg
  • Options
    You can also make cake on the microwave setting, whats nice is making a simple sponge mix, put some jam or golden syrup in a dish, put the sponge mix on top, microwave, and you've got a hot cakey puddingy type thing, its yummy!
  • Options
    I made muffins in the microwave with the kids today and they were shit. The top and bottom centimetre were lush, all damp and crumbly, and then the middle was all hard and dry like a biscuit :(
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    You can also make cake on the microwave setting, whats nice is making a simple sponge mix, put some jam or golden syrup in a dish, put the sponge mix on top, microwave, and you've got a hot cakey puddingy type thing, its yummy!

Yum! I remember my mum always used to make us this, she'd do it in a mug and then turn it out. We'd call it 'stuff in a cup'.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Yum! I remember my mum always used to make us this, she'd do it in a mug and then turn it out. We'd call it 'stuff in a cup'.

Nice with hot custard as well!
  • Options
    quick puddings, like lex said, are great in the microwave but anything 'cakey' needs to be eaten quite quick. it takes only hours for them to go stale and crap
  • Options
    Ahh but I made it in the microwave with the oven function and its still good right now.