Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Burns (self harm)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone experienced burns?
I did burn my arm today with a sigaret while i was smoking, i don't really smoke but sometimes i do it when i feel down. And today i burnt my arm.
I'm used to cutting but i guess it wasn't good enough to deal with myself :((:no:

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello PinkGirl,

How are you doing now? Sorry to hear you had burnt yourself with a cigarette, the best thing to do with burns, if you have burnt yourself, is, poor cold water over the burn for at least 10 minutes to stop the burning and relieve pain. If possible, remove any clothing or jewellery around the burn whilst you're cooling it.

Many people smoke when they are struggling, is smoking something you would want to give up PinkGirl? Have you ever spoken to anyone about your issues with self harm? But I guess it's asking yourself, weather you want to stop those behaviours, or weather or not, you are ready...How do you feel about the situation?

Angel :heart:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am a little better now.
    Smoking doesn't affect me much because i'm not addicted to it. It's easy to stop smoking.But the cutting it's really really hard to stop doing it and i don't think that i can stop. I feel like i deserve it. :(
    My parents found out before, It was about 1 year ago i think and they took me to their doctor and he made me see a therapist but it didn't last long because i stopped. At that time i stopped the S/h but last November/December i was starting to feel crappy again and the urges came back. From than i started s/h again without my parents or sister founding out.I really can't tell them they wouldn't understand like the last time they didn't. :(
    I feel like crap :banghead: and i think that it's not going to get better ever.

Thanks for you advice about the burn Angel <3
    Does anyone know if a burn with a cigarette will have like small bubbles around it ?
    pink girl wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a burn with a cigarette will have like small bubbles around it ?

They'll be blisters.

If they're big, get a sharp, sterile needle and pierce them to drain the fluid. Then let them dry out (keep them clean but don't put a plaster on it).

Keeping it clean is really important because infected burns can be really nasty. I've never used a cigarette, only lighters, so I don't know if there's any ash residue in it. If there is then try and flush it out.
    Thanks franki.
    Today i woke up and checked the burn and it was one big blister.