Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cracking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Guys. It's never really bothered me before but I've just realised that I crack my joints a lot and i'm beginning to get a little worried about arthritis etc... When I wake up in the morning my neck only goes so far so I HAVE to crack it to get it fully flexible again. I also crack my knees and also my toes to get them flexed up too. I used to crack my fingers to but for some reason they don't crack anymore. This only happens to me if I'm sitting still for a while e.g. sleeping or sitting at a desk. Is there a reason why my joints cease up so easily? Is there anything I can take for it? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    If you also have pain, heat, swelling, or stiffness in your joints, it'd be a good idea to see your GP. Otherwise it's a case of keeping fit and healthy. You could aslo speak to the occupational health person where you work to make sure your workstation isn't contributing to your problems.
  • Options
    Quite a few of my joints do it a lot of the time, I did mention it to my docter and he said that in 999 out of 1000 then the cracking has nothing what so ever to do with arthritus or even the possiblity of you getting it. I mean I have the loudest cracking anyone I've met has heard and I still struggle onwards.
    If you are worried about it though I would say that a quick visit to the GP wouldnt hurt.
  • Options
    its actually nitrogen bubbles that are trapped and when your joints 'crack' its actually the joints releasing the bubbles. disgusting huh?!
  • Options
    I think its disgusting when people sit there intentionally making there fingers go crack. ugh
  • Options
    If you are at all worried, go and see your g.p. Arthritis doesn't always have all the symptoms that karla mentioned.....i was diagnosed with r.a recently, but haven't found my joints to be any hotter than normal, or incredibly swollen....i guess it depends how severe the arthritis is. I put off seeing my g.p for ages, since all i had was stiff fingers, and i didn't want to make a fuss......but in the end the fuss was worthwhile , since i'm now seeing a consultant.....don't worry about wasting anyones time, your health is more important!;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Deeeeb
    I think its disgusting when people sit there intentionally making there fingers go crack. ugh

yea, makes me cringe
  • Options
    Get yourself some glucosamine tablets, they're good for oiling your joints and help aid arthritis.
  • Options
    and help aid arthritis.

i dont think he'll be wanting to take them then!!!:D