Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Virus?

Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
Calling all those who are good with computers. I am not...:blush::p
I am not sure if my laptop has a virus. I have Norton 360 but have been told that it doesn't pick up everything. When using Google Chrome on the bottom left of the screen it says random stuff that I can't work out/can't source. The cursor is a bit slow/ hyperactive as well. I don't download anything, the main threat really is horrible spam/pop-up stuff.
I have done a full system norton scan and nothing comes up but if it doesn't pick up everything then there could be something. I know someone who doesn't really use her laptop much, had norton like me and ended up with about 100 viruses without even knowing it. :nervous:
Could be paranoid but am not sure and it would cause a fuss if I asked anyone else. :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I use the free version of Avast! anti-virus. It's never let me down *touch wood* and I download a lot.
    I'd recommend downloading avast, and doing a boot time scan. This is where your computer is scanned before it turns on and more viruses are picked up this way. It could take a few hours though, so be prepared for no laptop till later :thumb:
    Who "told" you you had a virus?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Who "told" you you had a virus?

As far as I can understand from the post Starry Night was told that Norton doesn't pick up all viruses and is worried there may be a virus on the laptop. I don't think Starry has been told there is a virus :)
    Ah, stupid me. There have been scams where people are told they have one "click this link" etc.

Right, yeah, well windows do a completely acceptable free av for use as well. Anything that doesn't get grabbed by a paid for and a free av used in conjunction isn't known about yet.
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Thanks for the replies. Essentially, it's about the spam/pop-ups that are a bit dodgy on websites and I worry that they might have given me a virus which won't be detected by my Norton. Sorry if I've got this wrong but how do I get the windows one that has been mentioned?
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Would it clash with the Norton though?
    Personally, I'd turn norton off all together. I've always found it useless. But you can disable it temporarily and then do a boot time scan with Avast :)
    Personally, I'd turn norton off all together. I've always found it useless. But you can disable it temporarily and then do a boot time scan with Avast :)

Aye, this. Tbh Windows' own is pretty good as well.
    Thanks for the replies. Essentially, it's about the spam/pop-ups that are a bit dodgy on websites and I worry that they might have given me a virus which won't be detected by my Norton. Sorry if I've got this wrong but how do I get the windows one that has been mentioned?

Use adblock plus for chrome, should sort it out for you.

It's a setting in Control Panel in my version of Windows.
    I've always avoided the big names like McAfee and Norton. They're expensive, hideously slow and the last time I had a virus (some years ago) they didn't work.

I use Avira from www.freeav.com

It's very fast, very reliable and it's always managed to pick stuff up.