Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

ESA Trouble! (Aspergers)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

I'm currently getting ESA-(Employment and Support Allowance) it's supposed to replace incapacity benefit. I have been on and off this benefit as I have had trouble proving myself to the Jobcentre. I have been to appeal and won in the past and found it exceptionally hard to attend interviews which have to be attended as part of the benefit.

I was claiming because I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and I got diagnosed with Aspergers in August last year which is a form of Autism. I am currently working really hard not to slip through the net with services in my area which are extremely limited.
I try my best to talk to people.

I was placed in the WRAG group again which is a work related activity group and under new laws work might become mandatory? I decided to appeal and now my decision is to be looked at again i want to be put in the support group. I am taking tiny steps. Volunteering and enjoying my role. I would like to go to University this year.

Has anyone else been in the WRAG group? Is anyone in the support group with mental health issues? Anywhere I could ask for support??

Any advice would be much appreciated.:confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sonia1 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm currently getting ESA-(Employment and Support Allowance) it's supposed to replace incapacity benefit. I have been on and off this benefit as I have had trouble proving myself to the Jobcentre. I have been to appeal and won in the past and found it exceptionally hard to attend interviews which have to be attended as part of the benefit.

I was claiming because I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and I got diagnosed with Aspergers in August last year which is a form of Autism. I am currently working really hard not to slip through the net with services in my area which are extremely limited.
    I try my best to talk to people.

I was placed in the WRAG group again which is a work related activity group and under new laws work might become mandatory? I decided to appeal and now my decision is to be looked at again i want to be put in the support group. I am taking tiny steps. Volunteering and enjoying my role. I would like to go to University this year.

Has anyone else been in the WRAG group? Is anyone in the support group with mental health issues? Anywhere I could ask for support??

Any advice would be much appreciated.:confused:

I'm in the ESA support group for purely mental health issues. I think it depends if they think your condition affects going to the work related activities. I also do volunteering when I am well enough but they still let me be in the support group. I hope you get this sorted soon :)
    Hi Randomgirl
    Thank you for your message
    I'm hoping I can win my appeal.
    I need to speak to someone in the field for some help because I am unsure about how I can convince them to change their mind.
    Benefits are a lengthy process and I hope I can get somewhere with them.
    Sonia1 wrote: »
    Hi Randomgirl
    Thank you for your message
    I'm hoping I can win my appeal.
    I need to speak to someone in the field for some help because I am unsure about how I can convince them to change their mind.
    Benefits are a lengthy process and I hope I can get somewhere with them.

Do you have a mental health support worker? Often they can get you a benefits adviser. If you're GP is on the ball, s/he might be able to refer you.
    Hey!
    Nope because they don't place me in need for a mental health worker. I only get three monthly reviews and am on medication-low dosage. I have been to my GP on several occasions but they pass me off as 'you should go back to the mental health team'
    with the worst kind of examples :/. I am still taking medication though.
    Kind of stuck.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Sonia

Being in the Work Related Activity Group doesn't necessarily mean that work is mandatory, it's just that you have to do a certain amount to show that you're moving towards work. This can just mean attending some appointments with a Work Programme and explaining what you are working towards (it is important to attend appointments that you are booked for). It's great that you're volunteering, and this shows you are working towards work too.

If you need some expert advice on your ESA and appeal, the best people to speak to are the Citizens Advice Bureau. You can call or visit them. You can find your nearest one here: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm

Hope that helps a bit :)
    Thank you. I just wanted to update on this. I contacted the National autistic society for some advice. I have been to the CAB and they said they can help me look for someone to fight my case. I'm just a tad worried if ill win this. In the mean time I am required to take part in work focused interviews over the phone as I am to anxious to go to the Jobcentre.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Sonia, that's great that you've been in touch with the CAB and they're going to help you to fight your case. It is really worrying having to go through this process. Good luck with it.
    Thanks Danny.