Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

does this messageboard have a new direction? and 'triggering'

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Self-harm help, or I think I'm being abused?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Self-harm help, or I think I'm being abused?

It could be anything, I just think the content of the post needs to be explained in the title so yea those two would work :) Even if it's just "Help (abuse, self harm, suicide)" with the contents in brackets next to it. I just think stating the content is a lot more useful than a trigger warning :)
  • Options
    It certainly would be something that the regular users would be able to discuss implementing, but there are a lot of people who lurk and might be first time posters, that despite reading the rules and guides etc, might not quite get what people are suggesting. So there would need to be a little bit of leeway.
  • Options
    It could be anything, I just think the content of the post needs to be explained in the title so yea those two would work :) Even if it's just "Help (abuse, self harm, suicide)" with the contents in brackets next to it. I just think stating the content is a lot more useful than a trigger warning :)

Trigger warnings seem to be used exclusively for self-harm / suicide / eating disorders as well, which means that (as you and ShyBoy have identified) other triggers like sexual abuse and domestic violence are often disregarded.

But all sorts of people have mundane triggers, too, we can't weed everything out.
  • Options
    The blog I read (which I forgot to dig out) said something really mundane triggered her... It was something like hot dog smell or something.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    It certainly would be something that the regular users would be able to discuss implementing, but there are a lot of people who lurk and might be first time posters, that despite reading the rules and guides etc, might not quite get what people are suggesting. So there would need to be a little bit of leeway.

I think giving leeway is important rather than reprimanding. Or even just hitting 'Report Post' and leaving it upto a mod to look into and perhaps add more info to the title.

Agree with piccolo though that it is impossible to weed everything out so a bit of realism is needed really. Tact and sensitivity is great but members particularly those in vulnerable situations themselves may not always be in the right frame of mind to dilute their post let alone slap a 'triggering' title on it. This is where having great moderators comes in ;)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Perhaps this is something we could add to the good manners guide? We signpost people to that in the welcome PM and it's a nice link for new users who may be feeling a little lost anyway - people could link to it more often and it's a way of letting people know they're not being got at, but that this is something that's been carefully considered by the community. :)
  • Options
    I think that the use of words like "triggering" in thread titles is a bit pointless. In some ways, I think that it can be worse than just writing your thoughts. It almost creates an atmosphere that suggests that some threads are more important than others, because their writer has deemed them to be triggering [to others], when really noone can possibly know what might affect another person.

So I dislike the usage from that perspective, and I dislike it because I think it's excessively nannying, and creates artificial barriers to entry to the boards to people who aren't familiar with this culture that has developed. (By which I mean, that a newcomer may be disuaded from posting because they don't want to label their own posts.)

So really, I think that such tagging should be discouraged, and if there's a real sense that people need to be "protected" from threads that other users create, then there should be a more general warning to that effect attached to the forums.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I think that the use of words like "triggering" in thread titles is a bit pointless. In some ways, I think that it can be worse than just writing your thoughts. It almost creates an atmosphere that suggests that some threads are more important than others,

I have noticed this. Like "Super Triggering" and "triggertastic" and "OMGSOTRIGGERING". It feels like a competition sometimes.
  • Options
    I think it's because there's a genuine fear you will get shouted at if you post something someone finds triggering. As said, I think common courtesy should be extended, BUT people need to be responsible for what may or may not trigger them. If there's a thread called 'self harm' and a user is feeling vulnerable that day (as BA insightfully pointed out, it's different every day) then the onus should lie on the board member to not go into that thread, rather than the topic poster to sign post every thread that could trigger someone.

But obviously in a normal thread you should not post graphic descriptions or pictures of triggering material and I think most don't, when it is posted the report button is the best course of action.

So it comes down to proportionality. Extremely graphic thread? Post a warning. Not graphic but likely to contain potentially triggering content because of the subject matter? The risk is implied by the thread title. Thread title doesn't imply anything relating to triggering content? Should be safe, report any triggering posts.
  • Options
    This kind of thing didn't use to be necessary in the past. Which means something has changed, and I've made a list of what that could be (feel free to add possibilities):
    • TheSite has become a lot more sensitive to "troubled" people's feelings (rightly or wrongly, depending on view)
    • A bigger percentage of TheSite's users is "troubled" people than in the past
    • The people here now are a lot more sensitive than they used to be in the past

This. TheSite is far too sensitive now, we people getting offended and triggered by anything. I just wish that people understood, that if they find stuff that triggering they should really get help ><

I mean seriously, change my name to **Triggering** because everything i seem to post, is too insensitive for people. Like a draw picture of a guy wth a gun and a caption... Like really if that made you want to shoot yourself, you've just i don't even know...

It's gone way to far, triggering on this Forum is just like Political Correctness in the UK, people just need thicker skin and a back bone.
  • Options
    Accipiter wrote: »
    I think that is a bit harsh, Shikari. When someone is feeling vulnerable and they are in a bad state of mind, it can take very little to push them over the edge. I know this is true for me - sometimes when depression has completely corrupted my mind, something as simple as dropping an item, forgetting something, or even seeing words such as "triggering" can be too much, and can cause me to self harm or worse. Obviously I avoid even looking at the site on days like that. Some people like me don't respond well to a "get over it" kind of attitude, so I am not sure that comments like "people just need thicker skin and a backbone" are particularly helpful. Some people can deal with life. An over sensitive, fearful wimp like me can't.

here here! Well said.
  • Options
    you aren't an oversensitive wimp at all accipter. you raised good points
  • Options
    Okay clearly i'm hugely wrong. I can admit that.
    But it's still my opinion..

If you're life's been that hard, that you need to self harm, over some words online, then your life hasn't been hard enough, else you'd get over it.
  • Options
    I think everyone is different and people have different triggers. But what has been said about just getting over it is really mean. I dont think people should have to get over it. They are dealing with things and if i was told to get over it i would be upset and angry. The site isnt too sensitive at all. Its just a caring community. Until people like you come along and tell people to get over it and stuff. Maybe you should think about how your words make people feel.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    But you even said yourself
    Accipiter wrote: »
    or even seeing words such as "triggering" can be too much

So using that as a warning isn't, by itself, helpful. It could even have the opposite effect, and encourage people to look at stuff. (Sometimes, as I said above, I think that's why some people use it.)

So folk can't win.

Also, you all pile on to Shikari, but they have a point. It's poorly phrased to say "get over it", but in the ultimate truth, that is what people have to / strive to do. Sure, it's not _as simple as_ a switch and then people are over it, but the phrase "get over it" can also mean "deal with it, work through it", or whatever else you want it to mean. Ultimately, everyone has to "get over" all their troubles, so that they can then move forwards with life.
  • Options
    But you even said yourself

So using that as a warning isn't, by itself, helpful. It could even have the opposite effect, and encourage people to look at stuff. (Sometimes, as I said above, I think that's why some people use it.)

So folk can't win.

Also, you all pile on to Shikari, but they have a point. It's poorly phrased to say "get over it", but in the ultimate truth, that is what people have to / strive to do. Sure, it's not _as simple as_ a switch and then people are over it, but the phrase "get over it" can also mean "deal with it, work through it", or whatever else you want it to mean. Ultimately, everyone has to "get over" all their troubles, so that they can then move forwards with life.

No mist, if someone is feeling so easily triggerable, then they will avoid the site. If they're not feeling that easily trigger able, going into a thread with pictures or graphic descriptions may trigger them. So put a trigger warning on it.

I think accipter is bang on here.

Also shikari from what I've seen only posts to deliberately upset others, best way to deal with him is just hit the report post every time you see one of them 'opinions'.
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »
    If you're life's been that hard, that you need to self harm, over some words online, then your life hasn't been hard enough, else you'd get over it.

If that were only true. Have you seen this message board at all? It is FILLED with people who have had extremely hard lives, who want to just get over it, and hate themselves for being set off by a word on the internet. Sensitivity costs nothing, finding a way to be as sensitive as possible to the maximum number of people is admirable. We can't win all the time, but we can try.
  • Options
    I agree Fiend :)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    No mist, if someone is feeling so easily triggerable, then they will avoid the site. If they're not feeling that easily trigger able, going into a thread with pictures or graphic descriptions may trigger them. So put a trigger warning on it.

Except that a) I disagree that that's how people are using the "warnings" and b) I disagree that someone [new to the site] should know / be expected to / need to use such warnings.
  • Options
    Agree with Mist.

Still think we should leave moderating upto the actual moderators. People often post about SH here when they are at their most desperate. I dont think any expectation should be placed on them to disregard their current situation and slap 'triggering' warnings on the title or to water down their post. In an ideal world I guess this sort of sensitivity would happen but if it were an ideal world; people wouldnt self harm in the first place.

I think guidelines are appropriate and aim to create a safe messageboard but users getting fired up and policing the messageboard for anything remotely 'triggering' is just stupid. Hit the report button if you think a post is too graphic. Imagine the original poster's disappointment if they create a thread in desperation- hit New Posts- see they have a reply and open it to find 'You may want to use a trigger warning on the title of your post in future as some users may find this post distressing :)'. I just fail to see how that is warranted or helpful even if it is followed by carefully worded advice.
  • Options
    As I've said before, as long as the title tells you what to expect in the thread (which I believe is a rule anyway) then there is no need for a trigger warning.

Everyone is triggered by different things, I know personally I'm not triggered by the "normal" things such as reading about self harm. I'm triggered by very specific things that remind me of a personal experience... and even then I wouldn't call it triggered. "Triggering" implies "my thread will make you self harm" and I think there are very few people who will read a thread about self harm for example, and actually go and self harm.

Everyone just needs to make it clear in their thread title what the threads about and there will be no problem :thumb:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Everyone just needs to make it clear in their thread title what the threads about and there will be no problem :thumb:
    I totally agree with that.
    However many people just post generic things on the title (and I'm not sure why) and I've even seen people say -not just here- that they don't understand how to pick a relevant subject for a thread or e-mail. I don't understand how that is possible, but there you have it.
  • Options
    Triggering things are not necessarily an exclusive domain of those who self harm. For a few weeks after I got back from working abroad, every time I heard a car door slam, someone drop something big, or loud sudden sounds, my adrenaline would shoot up massively and would spend the next few hours being twitchy and worrying what would happen. Also, bonfire night really got to me as well. I was only away for 6 and a bit months, and whilst im ok now, it really got to me at the time.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Triggering things are not necessarily an exclusive domain of those who self harm.
    That's true but, did anyone actually say it was?
    In my case, there are posts that affect me somewhere deep without any indication about that in the title (or even in the first few posts in a thread). It's not related to self harming at all and seemingly impossible to "detect" beforehand.
  • Options
    That's true but, did anyone actually say it was?
    In my case, there are posts that affect me somewhere deep without any indication about that in the title (or even in the first few posts in a thread). It's not related to self harming at all and seemingly impossible to "detect" beforehand.

I think my comment was more aimed at the below
    Shikari wrote:

I have known people who have been set off quite easily by words, or sights, smells, sounds etc. Hence the comment made by someone that suggests self harm due to simple words online is something petty and easy to deal with, is quite an irresponsible comment to make.
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »

It's not about life being hard, it's about having mental health problems. When people are in the process of seeking help to get better ("get over it", if you prefer), they will probably want to keep certain things of a graphic nature out of their mind. Keeping things in the right place, with appropriate warnings, can be a really useful safeguard.

If someone then chooses to look anyway, that is their responsibility.

This is not a conversation about whether triggers exist or not.

I would also echo Clementine's point that there is a bit of a culture of flaming someone rather than referring the post to a moderator. That kind of response to a post can have a negative effect on vulnerable people just as much as, say, seeing an image that is triggering to them.
  • Options
    Except that a) I disagree that that's how people are using the "warnings" and b) I disagree that someone [new to the site] should know / be expected to / need to use such warnings.

How do you feel people are using the warnings?

In the case of people new to the site, if they are making it obvious they are posting about triggering material, they don't need an explicit trigger warning. It's implied. Of you're triggered by beef burgers, you would know / be responsible for your self to not read the thread 'my beef burger recipe'.

If, however, it's a more difficult thread e.g. 'I need help' where it's talking about graphic issues, then i think a trigger warning is absolutely necessary.

Think of it like your standard risk assessment, which is hazard * likelihood. Normally you take no action, only if the likelihood of triggering exceeds a threshold and that it's not obvious to readers that it would be triggering, should a trigger warning be used. (imo)

So to be clear, I don't think we disagree that trigger warnings are not always necessary. We only seem to disagree in that I think, sometimes they are appropriate, and the impression I have is that you feel they are never appropriate?
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I would also echo Clementine's point that there is a bit of a culture of flaming someone rather than referring the post to a moderator. That kind of response to a post can have a negative effect on vulnerable people just as much as, say, seeing an image that is triggering to them.

This is a good point that applies all over the boards in all honesty. Sometimes a troll post will turn into a flame war instead of being moderated. Even when I've reported threads or posts, seldom are they removed.

I think we have a lot of free reign on the boards, but I think the light-touch moderating sometimes is a detriment. I could make a troll account right now and get away with quite a lot before getting a ban.
  • Options
    Well you only have to look at the number of known troublemakers who've been allowed back, naming no names. They still cause shit except now they know they can get away with it.

It's a tough one though. The charity's mission is to help vulnerable young people, and quite a lot of vulnerable young people act up because they don't know how else to express themselves. There needs to be boundaries but blanket bans are not good either for that reason.

I think the trouble right now is that, on one hand, we have a lot of people who can only be termed "attention seekers". I don't say this lightly but the problems they have and the language they use gets more graphic in direct reverse proportion to the amount of replies they get. And then, on the other hand, we have the sort of cretin who thinks that being polite and courteous to people is "political correctness gone maaaaad!", like some sort of retarded Richard Littlejohn groupie.