Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dreamweaver

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know anything about Dreamweaver? I have put some new pages successfully, but the images aren't showing. The images are saved in both my local and remote folders and the paths in the code appear to be right... help?!

Comments

• Options
    Is it online now? Check permissions on the images :-)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Is it online now? Check permissions on the images :-)

I don't understand what that means :blush:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    piccolo wrote: »
    I don't understand what that means :blush:
    Users have certain permissions on files, most typically whether the file can be read or written into.
    If the web server doesn't have a read permission on a file, like an image,it won't be displayed.
  • Options
    Users have certain permissions on files, most typically whether the file can be read or written into.
    If the web server doesn't have a read permission on a file, like an image,it won't be displayed.

I understand that, but I don't know where I could find, or edit, those permissions?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I understand that, but I don't know where I could find, or edit, those permissions?
    That would depend on the server where the files are stored... I don't know if dreamweaver has anything to help.
  • Options
    That would depend on the server where the files are stored... I don't know if dreamweaver has anything to help.

I do have permission to edit the server, and one of my colleagues has no problems putting images to the same page. Can't work out what I'm getting wrong. :banghead:
  • Options
    I do have permission to edit the server, and one of my colleagues has no problems putting images to the same page. Can't work out what I'm getting wrong. :banghead:

What ftp program do you use. If cyber duck, tight click the file, info, permissions and ensure everyone has read access :-)
  • Options
    I don't know, the FTP stuff was all set up by the nice man from IT.

I'm such a girl sometimes.
  • Options
    I don't know, the FTP stuff was all set up by the nice man from IT.

I'm such a girl sometimes.

Not at all, I had the same problem and only know the solution due to experience. Do you update the website from within dreamweaver?
  • Options
    Not at all, I had the same problem and only know the solution due to experience. Do you update the website from within dreamweaver?

yup
  • Options
    yup

Ok first thing is to navigate in a Web browser to where your images are (e.g. Site.com/images/bg123.jpg) and see if the browser loads them.
  • Options
    Ok first thing is to navigate in a Web browser to where your images are (e.g. Site.com/images/bg123.jpg) and see if the browser loads them.

It doesn't
  • Options
    Do you have any programs you can use to double check the image files are on the Web server? I'm not 100% familiar with how dreamweaver uploads...
  • Options
    No, I don't think so, and I can't install anything
  • Options
    No, I don't think so, and I can't install anything

If you're on Windows you can do it with windows explorer
  • Options
    Toptip and bandwidth saver.
    Upload them to tinypic.com and link them from there.

Or if you want them problem solved, fancy posting the HTML of your website here? Or the just bit you're having a problem with.
  • Options
    Dreamweaver is terrible, especially when linking content correctly, always breaks itself. Best to add the image links yourself. If you check the source, I find DW likes to add "../../image.jpg" instead of just a single "../image.jpg"which breaks your images.