Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shikari was on-topic, by posting an unpopular opinion - that the Nazi holocaust didn't happen. C-the-T was off-topic by posting the overwhelming popular opinion that deniers are dangersous fruitloops. Soooo... in this thread C-the-T is the troll.

So by responding to a post I am a troll? Sorry I thought this was a thread on a messageboard that promoted exchanges between strangers. Obviously this thread would be far more interesting if we all put eachother on ignore and spewed out something spontaneous and unconnected every few seconds.

I wanted to add in the disclaimer that I was in no way denying Shikari's freedom of speech. Ahem Mr G! Disagreeing isn't the same as a gagging order. Freedom of speech works both ways. He has the right to air his views and I have just as much right to disagree with his views.
    Yup, the maximum age any person should be allowed to live to. Would take out a lot of the suffering of old age and allow everyone to plan their lives better.

Developing the idea slightly further, I would consider the option of allowing people to negotiate extra years by reducing their yearly pension entitlement and NHS provision for each year. Or reduce their number of years and increase their yearly entitlement.

I saw this the other day which might give some food for thought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgoCm1hofM
    So by responding to a post I am a troll? Sorry I thought this was a thread on a messageboard that promoted exchanges between strangers. Obviously this thread would be far more interesting if we all put eachother on ignore and spewed out something spontaneous and unconnected every few seconds.

I wanted to add in the disclaimer that I was in no way denying Shikari's freedom of speech. Ahem Mr G! Disagreeing isn't the same as a gagging order. Freedom of speech works both ways. He has the right to air his views and I have just as much right to disagree with his views.

I don't think you were trolling, I think trolling by definition is posting anything designed to prove others. Sometimes people have sincere opinions but obviously posting some of the pictures he did he was just hoping to get a rise out of people or prove how edgy he is IDGAF. In the first post where I replied to you I should have simply said 'dont feed the troll' :).
    If people did want to flesh out a discussion about the holocaust on the debate forum that would be good :) one thing is that people often fall into three camps:

1. Accepting of the historical status quo.

2. Skeptical not of the occurrence of the holocaust, but of the specifics (e.g., how much was propaganda, how much was real).

3. Conspiracy-theorist-confirmation-bias. I want to prove it didn't happen, lets google for 'the holocaust was fake' and find 50 links that look to make convincing arguments.
    But I don't think I did. I'm allowed to briefly show my disgust and I feel all the better for it :thumb: You obviously had an idea as to the direction of this thread but I think if I had broken any of the rules/ gone off topic a moderator would have messaged me by now. So I shall ignore Carriage calling me a troll and continue to use this messageboard the way it was actually meant for.
    Another one: there's is nothing wrong with consuming and enjoying 'bad things' such as bad music, bad TV, bad books and so on. Even bad video games. Not everything needs to be critically excellent to be enjoyable. My personal example: I occasionally eat McDonalds :D.
    Hear hear.

Although KFC is always awful.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    If people did want to flesh out a discussion about the holocaust on the debate forum that would be good :) one thing is that people often fall into three camps:

1. Accepting of the historical status quo.

2. Skeptical not of the occurrence of the holocaust, but of the specifics (e.g., how much was propaganda, how much was real).

3. Conspiracy-theorist-confirmation-bias. I want to prove it didn't happen, lets google for 'the holocaust was fake' and find 50 links that look to make convincing arguments.

I see what you did there.

(Also even i agree Clemantine was perfectly allowed and acceptable to have ago at me)
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Another thought
    It should be compulsory for children to learn poems of their choice off by heart.
    It would encourage them to actually read them, express a personal interest, and then they could either recite them as to develop their oratory skills, or write an essay/piece on what they liked/it's significance so their written work improves.
    Unpopular because most would think it boring and reminds some of horrible days of remembering spellings and times tables.
    Paedophilia is not a choice.
    violeta wrote: »

It's a way of life.
    It's an orientation, like homosexuality. Nobody chooses who they're attracted to.
    I agree with violeta actually. Just as people don't choose to be sexually attracted to people of the same sex, or they don't choose to be kinky, they don't choose to be sexually attracted to children.

That doesn't make it right- children, unlike adult gays or kinksters- cannot consent.
    Mental health should have more money spent on it by the NHS than Cancer care.
    I agree with violeta actually. Just as people don't choose to be sexually attracted to people of the same sex, or they don't choose to be kinky, they don't choose to be sexually attracted to children.

That doesn't make it right- children, unlike adult gays or kinksters- cannot consent.

Paedophilia in and of itself isn't wrong. Child abuse is though.

And yes, I agree, prepubescent children cannot give consent. (Also remember that paedopilia is an attraction to prepubescent children, so children under 12 typically).

That's a sweeping statement though isn't it. What you should really say is that having those feelings is not a choice (agree with this) but acting on them IS a choice.
    Paedophilia in and of itself doesn't imply that you're acting on anything. It's just simply an attraction to prepubescent children.

Acting on your attraction without the consent of the child in question is child abuse, which is a choice. Paedophilia and child abuse are completely separate concepts.
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Acting on your attraction without the consent of the child in question is child abuse, which is a choice.

its child abuse with consent by law as well though isn't it?
    We should put less effort into trying to cure cancer.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Neddy wrote: »
    That's a sweeping statement though isn't it. What you should really say is that having those feelings is not a choice (agree with this) but acting on them IS a choice.
    Exactly.
    We should put less effort into trying to cure cancer.
    I'm curious about why you say that, though.
    My reservations about trying to cure everything is that without people dying from diseases, the entire humanity would be in trouble.
    Bring back national service for young people who repeatedly get into trouble.
    Really Ballerina? Last thing I want to do is teach the fuckers how to shoot.
    Really Ballerina? Last thing I want to do is teach the fuckers how to shoot.

and other less armed combat techniques
    I was thinking more along the lines of discipline rather than combat
    Exactly.

My reservations about trying to cure everything is that without people dying from diseases, the entire humanity would be in trouble.

Pretty much that reason.

It's one of those certainties in life - people will die. Yes, it's very sad that sasy 50% of people die of cancer, but if we can get that % down we're only pushing up the % of people that die of something else. No one actually dies of old age.
    Exactly.

Pretty much that reason.

It's one of those certainties in life - people will die. Yes, it's very sad that sasy 50% of people die of cancer, but if we can get that % down we're only pushing up the % of people that die of something else. No one actually dies of old age.
    That the war in the Iraq has effected a great change in the Arab world. Iraq is no longer run by a crime family, Gaddafi surrenderred his weapons after Saddam was captured; and the Arab spring has replaced several dicatators, including Gaddafi, with new democracies.

The revolution in Libya would not have been possible had the removal of Saddam not intimidated Gaddafi in to surrendering his weapons, Saddam used his weapons to supress uprisings with terrible losses of life, Gaddafi would have done the same had he been able to.

I also think that nuclear energy and GM crops will provide energy and food for population incease we'll see in this century.

Nuclear energy is the best alternative to fossil fuels that we have, continuing to use fossil fuels for transportation will be necessary although nuclear energy will be able to replace fossil fuels in the generation of electricity.

GM crops are more viable and nutritious than organic crops, they provide more energy to consumers for a smaller investment in economic and natural resources from producers. We've been genetically modifying crops for thousands of years by selecting the crops that produce the most food each year, the current methods of genetically modifying crops are a vast improvement on our primitive methods of selecting the best crops for the future.
    Nuclear energy is the best alternative to fossil fuels that we have, continuing to use fossil fuels for transportation will be necessary although nuclear energy will be able to replace fossil fuels in the generation of electricity.

where are you going to get enough uranium from?
    where are you going to get enough uranium from?

I'd start with Australia (but in the long-term extract from seawater)
    Judging from the comments my unpopular opinions is I don't want to ban anything, curtail free speech or cull the population...