Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pains in back of legs...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Couldn't really do a search as i don't know what this is called:o

Well, lately I have when stretching my legs out while sleeping, been woken up by cramps in the back of my leg, in the place where the muscle is. It hurts badly for some seconds, and then gets normal again. This can happen several times during night, and am usually/sometimes sore in my feet and legs when I wake up.

So do any of you health/sports wizzards know what this could be? Whats causing it? And how it can be prevented?

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Which muscle?

The calves or the hamstrings (back of your thigh)?

Two things you can do without me even having to know which muscle it is would be to drink more water before bed and eat a banana. (Potassium in the banana helps prevent cramps)

Or gently stretch them before bed.
    Dont know what its called in English, can't be bothered to look up now (4:30 am :eek: ) but it's behind the leg itself, you know under the knee :)

Well, I am actually just about finishing a 1,5 litres bottle of water, and eaten a banan some hours ago, so guess I am a good girl as I did my homework without you even telling me to + I stretched out a bit earlier :D;)
    The calf is the muscle in the back of your leg below the knee, the hamstring is the one above the knee.

So I'm guessing that it is your calves (I forget because your English is so good that it isn't your first language), it used to happen to me a lot. Especially when I was swimming.

Massaging them helps prevent it, it's nice to do aftera hot bath, even nicer to have someone else do it for you.... ;):D

What are you doing up at this hour? Go to bed!
    He he, see I should really beging getting goldstars, had already gone to bed when you posted this :D

But thank you very very much, I'll try doing the stuff you told me to :)

Btw do you know for how long after swimming this occurs and for how long it stays? Cause I went swimming a couple of times last week.
    It often takes about 48 hours to really show, paraticularly like after plyometric exerecise. This is called DOMS or Delayed Onset of Muscular Soreness. The other possibility is tearing your calf muscles like I did several times, but I get the feeling you would have noticed as it's a very sudden sharp kick your teeth in sensation, and you can't walk properly, the muscle changes shape and goes black. I did this 5 times........ So you ain't got it too bad :p The muscles could just be sore and you're aggrevating them by walking around/running around on them.
    Thanks guys!

Well, after Alessandro mentioned the swimming I thought that it could probably be it. As it has seemed to occur after swimming excersize... So its probably a sore muscle, which needs a bit of care (aaaaaaaaaaaw).

Thanks for the tips :)