Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The uncle..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

I touched on this a little bit on this in chat yesterday but I thought I'd say a little more about it,

My uncle is a really aggresive man, he's bigger then me and is terrifying to say the least, He's constantly drinking and he's spent years in prison for GBH, he's only been out a few months. He's just started dating one of the people I used to hang around with at school but was a couple of years above me, I don't expect the relationship to last long but because she used to be my friend he's trying to control me, and I don't like it. If I don't like something or someone I will tell them its not always a good thing and it gets me in trouble an awful lot, but its better then pretending I like someone as it hurts both people. So anyways, My uncle hates the fact I don't like him telling me what to and has turned against me.

He personally knew Alice he didn't always like her but he knew how much she meant to me, so he's started saying things like "Ha even your friends can't stick you they've killed themselves to get away from you" amongst other horrible things, I had to sit on the sofa as I wasn't allowed to move and him and my brother who had both being drinking heavily and they both went on and on about how I'm a failure and how they know about my suicide attempts and how I'm really pathetic if I can't even do that properly.

I have to say, it was one of the hardest things I've ever heard, I stood up to go and get a drink, So my brother followed me slamming the door into me and trapping my fingers in a door. I already have a broken finger and a bust knuckle so it was really painful, then when I went back in it was round two and eventually I just went "for fuck sake your making me want to jump infront of a fucking bus" Well, My uncle..replied with "shame that won't kill you"...

Ive actually had it...

Comments

• Options
    can you cut contact with him? how often do you have to be around him? he sounds disgusting.
  • Options
    why would you even need to be around him at all?
  • Options
    I can't cut contact, its usually on celebration days...like birthdays/christmas ect

Because suzy...it was christmas..
  • Options
    and all your relatives were on his side? or did anyone stick up for you?
  • Options
    Nope cause I don't exist to half of them, or if I do..its only to give me hate.
  • Options
    sorry, i dont spend time with my aunties or uncles at christmas. I dont know anyone that does, so it didnt occur to me. Certainly dont know anyone who spends xmas with people that are verbally abusive to them, Maybe you could make different arrangements for next year.
  • Options
    sounds like youd be better cutting contact with all of them. Make it a new start. They sound pretty toxic
  • Options
    Know how you feel, Em, there's the urge that you don't want to be around them at all, but in so many ways, you want to spend Christmas with the family? Or a certain person.

Hope you're okay, always about if you need to chat.
  • Options
    sounds like youd be better cutting contact with all of them. Make it a new start. They sound pretty toxic

I agree. I'd think id rather have no family at all than spend it with those awful horrible people you describe.
  • Options
    Know how you feel, Em, there's the urge that you don't want to be around them at all, but in so many ways, you want to spend Christmas with the family? Or a certain person.

for sure. I think thats probably the case for lots of abuse victims. Its a fantasy though. Thinking that somehow things will change, and i think in some ways this is the worst bit about christmas. As you grow up you can choose who you hang around with, and create your own "family" out of close friends if you want to, rather than put yourself in situations where you will be abused, just because you happen to share a bit of DNA.
    Then allow yourself to grieve
  • Options
    It's not all that easy though. We're both young, and having a family is what every person wants.
    You hope that things will change, but they don't, and there's nothing you can do.

It's not a fantasy though. Okay you'd be in an unsafe environment, but the abuse may not happen just because you're there for Christmas.

Everyone has their own opinion on situations like this though. So I'll stop there :)
  • Options
    m trying to give advice, not opinion. Im sorry if youre taking it like that.

A fantasy of a perfect family christmas is something most people have. I do. It never bloody happens.

All im saying is you dont have to put yourself in those situations. You might find that trying to be part of a family christmas is actually more hurtful than enjoyable. Thats all im saying. Im telling you that you have choices here.
  • Options
    I don't put myself in those situations, I don't go "Oh my uncles going to start being abusive tomorrow I best go see him" I'm a young carer so i HAVE to be part of the family christmas otherwise who's going to care for my parents cause they certinally can't care for themselves...and if i dont go down..it'll just be me spending the day in bed..contemplating things..which hurts more
  • Options
    He sounds like a nasty piece of work.

Is there anyone in your family that you feel supported by? I can get how trapped you must feel, especially if you're caring for your parents and need to be around at family events but I'd hope someone in your family can provide a bit of support and back-up when your uncle says those horrible things. Even just a hand on the shoulder and knowing you can leave the room. You shouldn't be made to feel physically trapped like that. It's really easy to suggest not letting him get to you but he sounds like a horrid individual whose words and opinions are disgusting and hurtful but in the end, they amount to nothing. You're a strong person. Bullies like him don't like that.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to see how much your parents take notice about what is happening to you of you stopped being there to care for them. Have your parents not questioned how you've been injured in this way? It's not something that can easily happen by accident.

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Only person I feel supported by is my dad and he's deteriated to the point he often thinks he is a frog so..you know its hard to talk to him about anything, He can't physically stop anything happening himself.

My mum just believes that I'm really clumsy (which is true) and thats how I get my injuries..she refuses to believe anything else
  • Options
    She might find it difficult to accept it, whilst still realising what is going on. You're being a tough person, and made of so much more than your uncle, simply by the fact that you are being so strong about this.

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
  • Options
    how about telling them that you wont be there if those certain people are around. Being treated like that is not part of the deal. Its abusive and its not on. Being a carer for someone doesnt mean that you forgo the right to not be abused.

Im not saying its easy. Im saying you have choices. Im not saying any of your choices are easy. Theyre not. Refusing to spend time with people who are physically, emotionally and verbally abusive towards you is not in any carers remit and certainly not in a young carers. Maybe you should mention it to social services? It doesnt sound like this whole situation can last. Does your father have any other carers? Why is it down to you?
  • Options
    I can't say I'm not going down because thats selfish...
  • Options
    its not. Certainly not selfish in a bad way. Dont let anyone tell you that protecting yourself is selfish.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Emmalee, sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with your uncle, he sounds like a really difficult person to be around. It's really impressive the way that you care so much for your parents, and that you look after them even though it means being in those situations with your uncle. Like Suzy says, it wouldn't be selfish of you to find ways of looking after yourself too - it's just as important that you feel safe and cared for as anyone else in your family.