Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Should I be happy? Because it's Christmas day?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello....

Not sure anybody will read this but, like I am feeling pretty low right now.. Family are downstairs, me upstairs and can't socialize... I physically can't let my family see me this way, they will hate me. They have no idea how things are for me, because I tell them I am fine.

Do I need to be happy, just because it's Christmas day?

I don't even know why I am feeling so rubbish.. I am frustrated and confused by it.

Sorry for the pointless thread.

C

Comments

• LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey Claire,

Big hugs *hug*

Don't put too much pressure on yourself just because it's Christmas day, lots of people find it difficult especially spending lots of time with family who may not understand how you're feeling right now. Everyone needs a little break sometimes, so it sounds good that you have removed yourself from the situation for a while to get some space, and you know we're here to listen. It's definitely not pointless either....if you're feeling low you know you can talk to us about it.

How are you feeling now that you have taken a bit of a break from the situation? Do you think you can go back downstairs later on?

We've talked before about telling your family how you feel, and helping them to understand. I know you are not ready for this yet, and especially not on Christmas day, but have a think about it. If you were able to explain to them how you are feeling do you think it would help?

Big hugs again,

LauraO
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you for reading and replying Laura.

Hmmm... well in the space of typing this thread, and now I kinda may have sh'd, and feeling pretty crappy.

I can't talk to my family. I have in the past and it didn't help at all. So it put me off talking to them again. :/

I don't think I will go downstairs at all now, but I know my mum thinks something is wrong, but I can't tell her anything.

:(
    no you dont. Christmas is a huge strain for a lot of people
    Simple answer is "No". Enforced happiness isn't happiness.
    Nah..christmas is shit anyways
    Thank you for the replies guys...

I guess I just feel like I "need" to be happy...

Hope you are okay Emmy?
    Thank you for the replies guys...

I guess I just feel like I "need" to be happy...

Loads of people feel like that because for the last few weeks we have all been told that is how we are "supposed" to feel at Christmas. For many it's actually the loneliest, saddest day of the year.

You should feel how you feel, nothing more.
    I guess so....:/
    yeah its pressure to feel the "magic" and be all happy and jolly. Its bullshit.

if you feel happy, great, but its just another day. Theres nothing about it that means everyone is happy. some people like it, others dont
    I'm always fine
    Emmalee wrote: »
    I'm always fine

okie dokie, good :)
    kinda feeling pretty crappy! just thinking of going to bed.... :(
    kinda feeling pretty crappy! just thinking of going to bed.... :(

do it. say you have a migraine, make yourself some hot chocolate, and go to bed. be nice to yourself on your own terms, not because it's christmas.
    Thank you.
    I guess I dont want to disapoint my family, Im not like them and I know they hate me because I am like this. I always hate myself for having mood swings and feel guilty for my family to be related to me. Its a horrible feeling, and I get confused by my feelings on a daily basis.
    Urghh :(
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hell no. Take it easy on your own terms. I don't think your family would necessarily be disappointed or hate you, and part of these feelings I suspect are related to depression more than anything. It might be that not even your parents are happy on xmas day, either (and not because of you)
    Thank you!! I kinda was asleep by 10pm... Woke up in a better mood though so it's all good :)

I was fine when I was visiting my dad.. but like me and my mum don't really have a great relationship soo... that may have had something to do with it.
    i feel much better today than yesterday too. Felt so crap all of yesterday i needed a valium to sleep in the end and i try and avoid them usually.
    glad you feel better too lovely :)