Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dog Names?!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Slice their arms? Bit rude much? There's underlying issues to WHY people self harm.
  • Options
    ffs, i didnt say you abandoned it. I SAID, youd done the right thing by getting rid of it earlier, rather than later on down the line. I SAID you should never have been given it as a gift, which is true. Puppies are not objects to be given as gifts. Theyre members of the family that should be thpought about and discussed before getting as they are long term commitments easily for the next 15 years
  • Options
    oh ffs again. I know. Im a fucking self harmer
  • Options
    Well using the phrase ''slice there arms'' was irrelevant to a post names ''dog names''. Maybe you should think before you type something out and post it, love.
  • Options
    maybe you should go back and see if you can find anything wrong with my actual argument love?
  • Options
    I think it depends on the type of person...stop stereotyping people!!
  • Options
    You're saying that everyone that gets a puppy abandons it. You miss the concept of everything. We get it, some people give their puppy's to a rescue home, but that doesn't mean everyone will do the same. There's more reasons to WHY I gave it a loving home. So you have no need to blow your trumpet and accuse people that puppy's are shit presents, when in actual fact they're not.

You don't know the full story, and I've not told it, so maybe stop judging the fact it was the X-mas season, and I got given a puppy.
  • Options
    im not stereotyping people. Im generalising that there are a LOT OF DOGS ABANDONED AFTER CHRISTMAS

this has reduced in recent years because of the various animal charities campaigning to discourage people giving dogs as christmas presents.

I am not saying that people who do it are BAD PEOPLE. Im saying its hardly ever a good idea. People who do things that arent good ideas, are not by default bad people. Its still a bad idea. Good people sometimes make bad decisions. They are still good people. ts still a bad idea.

do you understand??
  • Options
    oh my fucking god :banghead:
  • Options
    It's not a bad idea though. I would have loved a dog for x-mas, if I was able to be able to give it everything it needs. I gave it love and care when it was with us, so I don't give a donkey shit what you actually think.
  • Options
    You're a jerk
  • Options
    ok ok. It was a great gift. Well thought out. Ideal even. Well done your dad for giving you the perfect gift.
  • Options
    Thank you ;)

He's very thoughtful also, if you knew why anyway.

Have a merry shitmas.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You're saying that everyone that gets a puppy abandons it.

I think you'll find that Suzy didn't actually say that. What she said was that it was a poor gift for people to give at Christmas, particularly if you haven't discussed it as you had mentioned. A dog is a huge commitment and you agreed that you couldn't look after it and gave it up, which,I think you'll find, Suzy praised you for too.

Dogs are massive commitments, which should never be given lightly. Especially puppies. Many animal rescue centres end up full of dogs in January because people gave them for Christmas willy nilly. This is a fact. You cannot deny this. That is where the phrase "a dog is for life, not just for Christmas" comes from.

Also, I think you will find it was the 2 of you that descended into insults, calling Suzy rude, not Suzy insulting you. And she didn't say anywhere that because you 'slice your arms open' you can't look after a dog. So there was no stereotyping involved. It was the complete opposite.
  • Options
    If I was able to be able to give it everything it needs.

Therefore it wasn't a good gift because you couldn't. Regardless of the insults, the person giving it to you obviously didn't think about if you could cope with the pressures of a puppy.

And this time, I'm not generalising, I'm being specific based on your responses on this thread only.
  • Options
    Full story then:

There where six puppies dumped in a box outside a house, 6 weeks old, to young to actually leave the mother.
    My dad picked one up as he thought it would be a good present for me, and is sympathetic to puppies being abandoned, like I am. So no, it was a lovely thought, and my friend agreed it would be great to have around for company.

I didn't 'give it up' I gave it to someone, who is a huge lover of animals, free to a loving, caring home where she wouldn't be abandoned. Why? Cos I felt it was a lot of pressure with the situation I'm in, to be having sleepless nights, cuddling the puppy cos it missed it's mother.

So I didn't ABANDON it, and I didn't give it up. You've all taken this WAY out of proportion.
  • Options
    well they are not just minor details are they. Talk about drip feeding.
  • Options
    Am I reading the same thread as everyone else seems to be?

It was a bad present. Not given by a bad person, or given to a bad person. Just a bad present. Proof of that is that it took days/minutes for you to realise that you aren't ready to look after a dog - anyone who knew you well would already have known that really.

You acted well in giving it up quickly rather than for both to get attached or for you to abandon it.
    sophieann wrote:
    I would have loved a dog for x-mas, if I was able to be able to give it everything it needs.

Which is pretty much what Suzy has said. I can't see anything rude or abusive in anything which Suzy has commented on here.

It would have been a good present if... but the if doesn't apply here. So by your own definition it wasn't a good present at this time. Maybe in the future it would be.

The fact is that dogs are often given for Xmas and then abandoned. Therefore, considering you are dealing with a living animal, it's pretty important to make sure you are giving it to a home that can cope. In this case, as you freely admit, you can't. Therefore, not a good present, surely?

Well done for acting more responsibly than your Dad did, however much thought he might have put into it.

In related news, get over yourself. Suzy has been supportive, not judgmental FFS.
  • Options
    So I didn't ABANDON it, and I didn't give it up.

For the record. No-one has said that you abandoned it. However, you have said that you gave it to someone else. Isn't that "giving it up"?
  • Options
    and rather than being defensive ovwr what you THINK i mean, and adding up 2 and 2 to make 5. Learn to read what people write. I wasnt having a go at you in the slightest.

If youd have said my dad foiund a litter of abandoned puppies and asked me if i wanted one but i couldnt but found it a lovely home, it would have made a lot more sense. Im curious to why you gave a completely different sstory to begin with. its hardly a long story.
  • Options

So I didn't ABANDON it, and I didn't give it up. You've all taken this WAY out of proportion.

Nobody said you abandoned the dog; your second statement is semantics; you've taken everything that Suzy said out of proportion.
  • Options
    Wait, what? Story changed in past couple of minutes.
  • Options
    Lies
  • Options
    Wait, what? Story changed in past couple of minutes.

Story never did change, my darling.
  • Options
    Story never did change, my darling.

Erm...
    So, my dad brought me a dog for Christmas, it wasn't on my xmas list and I never asked for one.
    Full story then:

There where six puppies dumped in a box outside a house, 6 weeks old, to young to actually leave the mother.
    My dad picked one up as he thought it would be a good present for me, and is sympathetic to puppies being abandoned, like I am.

*confused old man*
  • Options
    Emmalee wrote: »
    Lies

Anything specific or are you still just having a bitchfest?
  • Options
    Anything specific or are you still just having a bitchfest?

Specific things... :D
  • Options
    That was a subtle ''story''. I didn't think people would take it well if I told them the original, nothing different with them both really, surprised you have nothing better to do then moan.
  • Options
    That was a subtle ''story''. I didn't think people would take it well if I told them the original, nothing different with them both really, surprised you have nothing better to do then moan.

Read back through the thread, then ask yourself the same question maybe?

Supportive, understanding comments praising your actions mainly. Bitching, moaning and abuse coming from you. Shame really.

You did the right thing, as has been said. Shame your Dad hadn't put as much thought into it but can understand the actions having saved a few cats (and our dog) in the past. But that was because we knew we could look after them.
  • Options
    Emmalee wrote: »
    Specific things... :D

Excellent. Always better to be annoyed at specifics than generalisms. Makes for easier targeting of the weaponry I find.
This discussion has been closed.