Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dog Names?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, my dad brought me a dog for Christmas, it wasn't on my xmas list and I never asked for one... so me and my friend checked with our landlord, and he's allowing us to have this sprout.

It's female, but we're stuck for names? Heeeelp?

598345_184008855079258_2111809933_n.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Norman
  • Options
    Ginger.

Or Smurfette.
  • Options
    Jessica...or..Ellen.... ;)
  • Options
    something short and easy to shout.
    remember you'll need to yell that name a lot lol
  • Options
    perhaps something to do with candy? he looks like one..

Lollipop

and then when you shot it can be only ""Loly don't!"
  • Options
    shes cute, but thats such a bad present. You dont just buy someone a puppy ffs. Its like adopting someone a baby as a surprise present.
  • Options
    She's gorgeous. I recommend puppy classes and training classes, especially as your first dog. As for names, something with two syllables, it's easy to shout, call and work tone into. e.g. charlie, tilly, spencer, cobie etc.

Training is essential.

Again, training is essential.
  • Options
    Dougal
  • Options
    Leela (yay futurama)
    Honey Boo Boo
    Beatrix
    Gigi
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

We ended up naming her, Cally, and found her a loving home, as I explained it would be too much for me to cope with, considering I can't even look after myself.

But she'll have a lovely Christmas with a lovely family, and have lots of good times! :heart:
  • Options
    shes cute, but thats such a bad present. You dont just buy someone a puppy ffs. Its like adopting someone a baby as a surprise present.

True. But just because people buy an animal at Christmas, it doesn't mean everyone is a bad person and is going to abandon and neglect them?
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

We ended up naming her, Cally, and found her a loving home, as I explained it would be too much for me to cope with, considering I can't even look after myself.

But she'll have a lovely Christmas with a lovely family, and have lots of good times! :heart:

I'm very impressed with your decision. I'm pleased that you've acted so maturely.
  • Options
    Thank you, Fiend! :)
  • Options
    Thank you, Fiend! :)

You're welcome. It's a hard thing to do sometimes, even though you had her for a short time. I had to rehome my much loved beagle after I broke up with an ex-girlfriend, she was the reason I could keep him, she worked shifts, so he wasn't alone for more than 4 hours at a time. Without her, he got terrible separation anxiety, so I couldn't keep doing it to him.
  • Options
    Awww, strange how dogs can sense things!

It is difficult, I had planned everything out, and got no sleep last night, cos she hated being alone, so I stayed up with her. I realised within it though - that I can't physically have sleepless nights, as much as I'd love her to feel comfortable sleeping on her own. I guess, the people she's with now, will be more mentally stable, and physically able to look after her, more then I probably could have.
  • Options
    that doggie is going to have a lovely christmas because of you :) high five. it must have been a difficult decision
  • Options
    Thank you, Clementine :)
  • Options
    True. But just because people buy an animal at Christmas, it doesn't mean everyone is a bad person and is going to abandon and neglect them?

no, but i was right though, it was a terrible present to give to you and youve already had to rehome her, which i think is a really good, mature decision btw. I think its not very forward thinking of your dad to get you an actual animal, and especially an animal like a dog which are really hard work, and people buying other people puppies as presents is well known to be a shit idea, because come january and february, the animal shelters are full of them. I never said anything about being a bad person, Im just pleased that you are one of the few that realise quickly that you arent able to keep a dog, and dont leave it months till the dog has bonded before giving it up.
  • Options
    Wasn't as such a terrible present, it was thoughtful. I guess, in ways, not everything was thought out. But she's happy elsewhere now, so it wasn't as if she ended up abandoned :)

Anyway have a lovely Christmas.
  • Options
    http://dogs.about.com/od/becomingadogowner/qt/dogs_as_gifts.htm

http://www.itv.com/news/central/story/2012-12-13/my-dog-smells-of-dog/

maybe give the RSPCA a call or the dogs trust, or your local rehoming centre and find out how many cute christmas puppies end up in the pound, or having to be put down, and find out what they think of people giving puppies as presents.

Getting a dog should be a carefully thought out decision, not on a whim because theyre cute.
  • Options
    We never got her cos she was cute. Just because someone gets a puppy or any animal for Christmas, you shouldn't assume that everyone is going to get rid of it. Kinda judging tbh.
  • Options
    We once got a puppy for christmas, We kept him until he died...Not everyone gets rid of them.. and its not only at christmas people get rid of them
  • Options
    We never got her cos she was cute. Just because someone gets a puppy or any animal for Christmas, you shouldn't assume that everyone is going to get rid of it. Kinda judging tbh.
    errr, you got rid of it
  • Options
    its not a bad idea IF youve discussed it and you wanted a dog anyway.

Its a very very VERY shit idea to get someone a puppy when you have no idea whether they even want a dog or not.
    Its like arranging for your mate to adopt a kid without asking them if theyre ready for a family.

Im not saying your dad is a shit person, or that youre a shit person. Im just saying that its a bad present. A dog is a living breathing being, and is not an object to be given and/or discarded at christmas. This is common knowledge amongst most people. Im just shockedf it still happens, and considering this is a public board, i think its quite important that i mention this, rtaher than going "ahh cute, call it Beryl"

If you want to give something cute and cuddly for xmas, go to build a bear, and dont encourage the unscrupulous overbreeding of dogs
  • Options
    Rude
  • Options
    dont complain that the boards are dead, and then complain if someone invokes/inspires a discussion, especially on real issues.

Its not just about patting each other on the back every time people feel miserable or slice their arms.
    Ive been coming to these boards for near on a decade, and if you think thats rude, then you must be pretty new to the internet
  • Options
    Since where did I complain the boards are dead? Don't get me mixed up with someone else please. K thanks
  • Options
    what have i said that was rude? Go back and read what i wrote, NOT what you think i thought. There is absolutely nothing an intelligent person can argue with. If there is. Tell me. Go on
  • Options
    do you think that buying people puppies they have neither asked for, nor want as a gift, is a good idea?

if so, what is good about it?
  • Options
    errr, you got rid of it

I gave it to a loving home? I didn't abandon it like you're suggesting I did.
This discussion has been closed.