Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Christmas (on a budget!)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys :wave:

So this year, I had the grand total of £15 to buy presents for everyone! And I guess a lot of others will be doing Christmas on a budget this year.... so, what are you plans? Are you buying gifts for everyone, or making?

I found debenhams really good for cheap gifts today, managed to get a nice little vintage style tin for my mum, for £2.80 (reduced from £4!) And also, river island have some nice but cheap jewellery.

But I'm going to be making a lot of things too. My current idea is to make cute little owl teddies for my cousin and sister, out of a scarf a bought for 99p from the YMCA charity shop! :D I'm not sure what to do for my boyfriend though.. it's our one year anniversary on the 23rd as well so need to come up with something good, any ideas would be appreciated!

What's everyone else doing about buying Christmas presents on a budget? Anyone made/making anything nice? :)

Comments

• ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Well I got chocolate Santa for my cousins and niece. Very cute, 89p each.
    What kind of things is he into? Other than you! :D
    One year anniversary you say. How about looking through old photos of you and him, pick one nice one and put it in a pretty frame. -you could even make the frame. Or you could do what I did for my grandmother, pick loads of photos of him, you, friends and family you both know, then get a cheap scrap book and fill it with the pictures, ribbon, stickers, backing paper, maybe make each page themed on something he likes. e.g. for my nan a page with butterflies, a cute baby page for the baby pictures.

Does he like sweets? You could make homemade sweets or biscuits to give. Make the boxes yourself, -you could get the templates from the internet.
    You could make chocolate logs. All you need is some mini rolls, buy or make some chocolate icing, cover the mini roll then use a fork to get the log affect, bit of red and green icing for the holly, put it in a box or bag with ribbon and that's it.

What about hanging decorations for the tree? You could do photo ones. Get the plastic baubles and stick a pic in each you know the person you're giving it to would like.

You could make homemade snow-globes. Empty, clean jam jars, pick a toy or figurine to stick to the lid, bit of water and glitter, and you're done. If you pick jars with silver or gold lids they would be very Christmasy.

Homemade jewelry is always nice too. Gets some beads, wire or thread. And you could make key-rings for the guys.

Or how about candle center pieces. Get natural materials from outdoors, logs, holly, ivy, ferns, pine-cones. Buy some candles and fake spray snow. One candle for each log, (make a hole in each big enough for the candle) decorate around the bottom of the candle, even along the log if you like, then finish with some spray on snow.
    Anything there you could use? You might find some better suggestions online.
    http://www.homemade-gifts-made-easy.com/homemade-christmas-g...

For future reference:
    I always find it helps to save a little each month, (when I can afford it!) in a separate bank account which I use to help top up my Xmas budget. I also buy gifts throughout the year which brings the cost down. Whenever I see a good offer or something I know they'll like, then I hide it in my wardrobe.
    There's also the 'Park catalog' you save every week or month, then get high-street vouchers you can use to give as gifts or use to buy them. xx :wave:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For my friends this year I bought some poster tubes (£5 for 10) and I plan to give them each one of my paintings inside them. I'd already done the paintings as it is my hobby and they are popular with my friends and also it's a good opportunity to declutter my portfolio.

Some family members are getting knitted gifts which whilst the cost price isn't cheaper than buying gifts I would be knitting something anyway so it might as well be a present for someone.

Some family members I won't be seeing until mid-January as they are going away for Christmas so I plan to buy for them in the January sales.
    I'm not sure what to do for my boyfriend though.. it's our one year anniversary on the 23rd as well so need to come up with something good, any ideas would be appreciated!

Maybe talk to your bf about it and suggest you each spend a low budget on each other. In many ways this can be more romantic as you actually have to put a lot of thought into what you get rather than just spend spend spend. Things connected to how you met are good e.g. I met my ex at a pub quiz so we were delighted to receive a pub quiz game for Christmas one year as it was very thoughtful.
    We're on a budget too so I'm going to buy the family gifts in Boots (3 for 2 offer) and my friends are either hopefully going to be understanding or I'll attempt to bake something edible for them.
    Thanks for the boyfriend suggestion everyone.
    We have a scrap book already, so I'll do some more in that.... but then I don't know what else to do. I've made him so much throughout the relationship (heart cushion, sock monkey, jewellery, cakes, biscuits, CD's etc etc. I even did a shoe box full of little gifts once. That's my problem, I make too many presents.) Maybe I'll make him an owl too :lol:

There's a really good website with craft ideas on: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/ I've found some lovely things on here, and been inspired by a lot... just seems this year like I can't find anything I want to do!
    We're on a budget too so I'm going to buy the family gifts in Boots (3 for 2 offer) and my friends are either hopefully going to be understanding or I'll attempt to bake something edible for them.

Thornton's have some good deals on at the moment like 3 for 2 and 2 for £5... but I couldn't buy the rum chocolates for my dad, because apparently you need to be 18... :(
    oo thanks for heads up, that might cover presents for friends
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Two years ago I spent £20 on ingredients and between 3 of my friends and my ex bf they all got truffles, brownies, cookies and some little marshmallow fudge sweets (: there were lots too, its worth looking into baking little treats cos you can get a lot out of a few ingredients
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    Two years ago I spent £20 on ingredients and between 3 of my friends and my ex bf they all got truffles, brownies, cookies and some little marshmallow fudge sweets (: there were lots too, its worth looking into baking little treats cos you can get a lot out of a few ingredients

I second this. The last couple years my sister hasn't had much of a job or money so she takes the time to bake cookies and oreo balls for gifts. I loved it, and thought it was very heart felt. She has a job now, and has been asking what we want for christmas, but I'm still hoping for more oreo balls :p
    for £15, id be concentrating on making things. Can you knit/crochet?
    my name wrote: »
    I second this. The last couple years my sister hasn't had much of a job or money so she takes the time to bake cookies and oreo balls for gifts. I loved it, and thought it was very heart felt. She has a job now, and has been asking what we want for christmas, but I'm still hoping for more oreo balls :p

I made my mum and dad Oreo balls a few Christmases ago because I was horrifically broke, and they now request them every year, so deffo second this suggestion! You can make a decent sized batch for a couple of quid.

Also fudge goes down well - I make chocolate fudge cause it's easier and there aren't loads of ingredients. You can add whatever fruit/nuts you like. Apparently Poundland have cute Christmassy tins in atm which are perfect for handmade bakes.

Another idea is hot choc/coffee kits. Put them together yourself - cute mug, sachet or two of drinks, mini marshmallows, etc. and if you can knit/crochet/sew you can make little handmade 'cosies' for plain mugs (personalised if you can be bothered).

And if you are making for people who are crafty themselves, putting together a kit to make or bake something is a nice idea. Mix together the dry ingredients for cookies, make a cute little label with the recipe and 'just add an egg' (or whatever) and put in a kilner jar. Decorate with Christmassy ribbon. Bish, bash bosh! Or fill a tin with yarn, needles and a pattern?

Can you tell I am on a budget too? ;)
    Kaff wrote: »
    I made my mum and dad Oreo balls a few Christmases ago because I was horrifically broke, and they now request them every year, so deffo second this suggestion! You can make a decent sized batch for a couple of quid.

Can you tell I am on a budget too? ;)

I just googled this recipe cos I proper love Oreos and it just says Philadelphia, Oreos and dip them in chocolate...is that literally it?! do they not taste cheesy? I find the thought of putting Philly in things a bit weird haha x
    I just googled this recipe cos I proper love Oreos and it just says Philadelphia, Oreos and dip them in chocolate...is that literally it?! do they not taste cheesy? I find the thought of putting Philly in things a bit weird haha x

Yep, that is literally it!! A bit of blitzing and chilling aside. SUPER easy and they don't taste cheesey at all, just really rich and chocolatey :yum:
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Oh the brownies I made as part of the £20 required rather expensive ingredients (thats how my brownies are the best ;) ) so going with what Kaff said about the chocolate fudge, really good idea making things with few/cheap ingredients that are still yummy (:
    for £15, id be concentrating on making things. Can you knit/crochet?

No :( Although I've never *really* tried, I just know I'm not great at that kind of thing. I'm definitely going to sew a few owl plushies and maybe a cushion or too though :)
    BJ tokens! For the boyfriend, natch. Not your mother.
    you might get some good ideas off pinterest for crafty stuff to make on the cheap

http://pinterest.com/pin/241857442460260203/

http://pinterest.com/pin/241857442460208830/

or search for crafts and stuff to make.
    I kinda feel guilty that I'm spending a few hundred quid at Christmas. But then I remember I was a student once trying to do what you're doing so I don't feel quite so bad.
    BJ tokens! For the boyfriend, natch. Not your mother.

for when shes 16?
    you might get some good ideas off pinterest for crafty stuff to make on the cheap

http://pinterest.com/pin/241857442460260203/

http://pinterest.com/pin/241857442460208830/

or search for crafts and stuff to make.

Thanks Suzy, I really love that salt dough one- had no idea you could even do that. I'll definitely make some of those.
    I actually ended up using all my amazon survey gift vouchers to buy my ma some perfume! I've been saving up all my boots advantage card points for something for either mr riot's mum or sister. But otherwise I was thinking of making jars of dry ingredients for brownies/gingerbread etc. you can make flower broaches/hair bands/etc easily by cutting petals out of felt and sewing them together at the bottom.

Little care packages go down really well - a nice pair of socks, some hot chocolate, a mix CD, mulled wine mix (which is really nice with apple or orange juice), some nice incense stuff like that!
    Something I made for my ex boyfriend - which cost £0...

I got a piece of paper and wrote (in lots of different colours) things I loved about him, and good memories we had together. Was sort of artistic.
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Coconut ice is really easy to make, and Christmasy too. xx
    http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/coconut-ice
    Hi everyone! I'm so pleased to hear that there is still places in the world when people care about making each other happy rather than trying to show off with their expensive presents! I wish it was the same in my country.. A lot of people I know expect money, or gadgets, or even jewelry and trips for Christmas! Fortunately, my friends and me don't take part in this insanity :D
    Reena wrote: »
    Well I got chocolate Santa for my cousins and niece. Very cute, 89p each.
    I've got chocolate Santas this year, too :) I always liked the idea of giving and receiving chocolates for Christmas, it can also save you and your friends some spare parts on the shelves, mine are almost always stuffed.

I also made some toys with the help of threads and balloon, you inflate a balloon a little bit, grease it with glue, than reel it up with threads, and leave the construction for a day. When it dries out, you carefully remove the balloon, so you've got the frame which you can decorate as you want! I usually add some sparkling gold or silver spray, ribbons, buttons, whatever suits.

I think I'm gonna use some pieces of advice given here, too :)
    There are currently some salt-dough hearts and stars baking in the oven. Going to paint them and give them as little presents :) thank you for the idea Suzy!
    If you have love film instant..pretend your a student at uni if your younger then 18 ;). and they send you three free (try saying that when your piddled) gift cards for £30 each to send to your friends which means they get around 3 months free..Looks like you've spent a fortune..and really you've not spent a penny ;)
    There are currently some salt-dough hearts and stars baking in the oven. Going to paint them and give them as little presents :) thank you for the idea Suzy!

yay :)

what about collecting up some glass jars from people, or charity shops and get some cheap fruit and veg from the market and make some home made chutney/jam/marmalade?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/quickandeasychutney_8900
    http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/absolutely-fail-proof-easy-marmalade-63706
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/favourites/pickles-jams-and-chutneys/
    http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipes/jams-conserves/easy-microwave-jam
    I could make jam tarts. Nom nom nom. My mum likes making jam I might get her to help me, it'd be nice to do something together :) she said she'll teach me to knit when she has time.

I finger knitted a belt as well this afternoon, didn't even know what finger knitting was this morning, I found it on pintrest :D
    good idea. My cousin made mince pies for everyone the other year, with home made mincemeat and then put them in pretty boxes.
    I made home made fudge one year. Best fudge ever too
    I went to pound land in my town. In most city's and stuff it just sells rubbish, but where I live it's really good. You can get luxury and brand items for 99p or less. I bought a whole load of tea bags for 25p. xD I sound like an advert.
This discussion has been closed.