Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Minimum price plan to end cheap alcohol sales-Your say wanted.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello Guys and girls, as part of a leaders discussion we talked about the new Minimum price plan on Alcohol units and would love your feedback.

As you are more than aware a new Coalition scheme intends to place a 45p minimum price plan on each unit of Alcohol. The Coalition believes such introduction will reduce the irresponsible drinking. Theresa May says this is one of 'many' measures that have or will be introduced to combat such problems.

While that may seem excessive or not a lot depending on your view point, it would also go along way to prevent binge drinking according to the Government study shows-
The Alcohol Health Alliance UK welcomed the publication of the consultation, though it said the minimum price should have been 50p. It estimates that price would prevent more than 3,000 alcohol-related deaths and 40,000 crimes in England every year. A 40p rate, it said, would prevent 1,190 alcohol-related deaths and 10,100 crimes.
- Nicholas Watt. The Guardian, Wednesday 28 November 2012

So let us break it down for a start, How does this affect a person wanting a normal drink at a bar, restaurant or local pub?

It shouldn't. Most of the aforementioned places already pay such a fee on their minimum that they will either keep their prices the same or raise it only marginally. It's good news for us drinkers who like to drink out.

Likewise, this would make a pint a minimum price of 1.30. Hell ,if you can find a pint anywhere in the country for that price regularly, please send me a PM with the address. Regards.

How does this affect a person wanting to purchase cheap supermarket price alcohol whether in small packs, multi-buys or deals.

This is the main target of the price plan. They hope that by imposing this rule the alcohol on sale will have to abide a certain price plan and prevent supermarkets and alcohol stores selling alcohol at an 'Unreasonable and easy' price. Here is an example-

A bottle of Frosty Jacks has 22.5 units and is 3.50 for a 3l bottle from what I've seen. That is a roughly £10 a bottle under new plans.

A can of larger with 3 and a half units which costs 70p at Tesco will now cost a base minimum of £1.35. You do maths for packs of X and multi-buys.

Yes, it is a bit frustrating for those who like to stock up when there are deals on and drink it slowly. But not TOO much of an impact considering a pack of 18 larger with 4% which has 1.8 unit's would make the can price 81p. That would make the total pack worth 20 quid. Not a massive difference as such, but it is moving it out of the unreasonably cheap band as the Coalition would see it.

Wait, what about the already reasonably priced alcohol in shops like the bottle's of whiskey and such. They'll now be around 20 quid a bottle?!

A typical bottle of spirits will have about 28 units , so at the mimimum price per unit would cost £ 12.60 . It's more expensive than that anyway so won't have any real effect. If it is cheaper, stock up while you can :D

What about M+S Dine in for a £10 deals?

Unaffected, ministers have stated that such deals do not cause binge drinking. Again, this is out to target those who wish to buy cheap alcohol in large amounts to get drunk or to drink irresponsibly.

Let's move past pricing, will this really reduce binge drinking?

That is purely factual. I would argue it requires more than pricing to stop excessive consumption. Education on such issues would be my drive. However others argue that you can only limit supply or raise prices to really have an impact. The quoted Guardian article clearly states it will have a dramatic impact, but money shouldn't be the barrier in prevention.

Still, this happened to cigarettes. Has that worked in your opinion or is that because of the advertisements placed on it? Do you think similar should be done to Alcohol?

Do you think this will reduce drunken 'yobs' on the streets and littering beer cans?

So, what are your opinions? Good or bad? I know I've come across as somewhat an advocate but in my opinion this is not the path to take to reduce binge-drinking in the long term.

Comments

• Options
    Here are opinion's taken from another board, Red and White Kop.

Against
    a chiching move for the corporate and government pocket. You dont tackle binge drinking by selling at higher price
    The only two public policy measures proven to reduce alcohol misuse are limiting availability and increasing price.

Education policies are proven to be totally ineffective.
    Which is, of course, why the drinks industry is always keen to see education as the main public policy response and why they set up rubbish such as the Portman Group to make it look like they care

It's still the fact that it's supposedly directed at problem drinkers , but we'll all pay additional for it . Also , lets be honest about it , the heavy drinkers aren't going to be put off by it . If they're that way inclined they'll get the money one way or another .

As far as the cost on a personal basis , I'm not overly bothered , but I'm lucky I've got a decent job and a fair wage coming in . Plenty of people haven't , they can't afford to go to the pub , so they're penalized unfairly .
    Yep. Dress it up any way you want.

It's a tax by the back door, simple as.

Will it stop binge drinking? No. Not significently.

Short term, the stats might show it going down a bit, and even those stats will be massaged to make it look better, but longer term, I don't think it will have any impact at all on binge drinking, as those who want to do that will just find another solution, like home brew or something else.

The other question that has to be asked, is how this impacts on
    people driving over to France, filling up their vehicle and binging it back for personal consumption.

The part made bold is a crucial point. This is done with cigarettes, (My parent's do it :thumb:) so assuredly it can be done with alcohol.

For
    Don't see much wrong with it, far too many people think a good time is only achieved by drinking themselves into a stupor or into a fight. If they can't afford to have as many drinks then too bad for them and good for the rest of us.

Far too much public money is wasted on policing these morons or on the NHS treating them at the end of the night.
    And 45p minimum per unit is really going to punish you? It's only going to affect the kind of people who are regularly buying a lot of alcohol in bulk. If you're buying a normal pint then you're already covered as the price of the pint covers it already, it's for happy hour deals and people going to cheap booze places that sell lots for little.

I'm planning to buy drink in for Christmas, will I potentially pay a little more for the beer I buy? Maybe if I was to take advantage of buy 24 cans for £X. Will it ruin me to buy for Christmas? No. Does it worry me for one expenditure run? No. I know it'll mean that if I was to go out for a night out in town then there was less chance of some drunken fool potentially ruining my night.
    The biggest boost for the government would be less spending on police/NHS from dealing with said drinking, not from a tiny increase in VAT in real terms with this minimum price increase.
  • Options
    ^Liked his form, so will follow.

AGAINST

Likewise, this would make a pint a minimum price of 1.30. Hell ,if you can find a pint anywhere in the country for that price regularly, please send me a PM with the address. Regards.

Roundabout Pub, north hill Plymouth. Wed/Thur pound a pint.
    Brass Monkey Pub, Royal Parade. Wednesday pound a pint.
    C103, Union street. Friday £2 - 2 pints.
    A bottle of Frosty Jacks has 22.5 units and is 3.50 for a 3l bottle from what I've seen. That is a roughly £10 a bottle under new plans.

I'm no way an alcoholic, actually. I'm probably the one person, or type of person who is going to get hit BIGGEST by this!
    I drink 2/3 a MONTH.
    I drink cider because it is cheap, because i am poor. I am very very poor, i live by myself etc. £3.80 bottle of 3L Dry Cider, will get my mildy drunk for a couple of hours. That's honestly the most i can afford for a day out.
    And every other weekend, i like to meet with my friends and have a nice drink of "3 Hammers" (Frosty Jack of Devon).
    £10+ A bottle, fine i'll go back to drugs.
    A can of larger with 3 and a half units which costs 70p at Tesco will now cost a base minimum of £1.35. You do maths for packs of X and multi-buys.

Yes, it is a bit frustrating for those who like to stock up when there are deals on and drink it slowly. But not TOO much of an impact considering a pack of 18 larger with 4% which has 1.8 unit's would make the can price 81p. That would make the total pack worth 20 quid. Not a massive difference as such, but it is moving it out of the unreasonably cheap band as the Coalition would see it.

Wait, what about the already reasonably priced alcohol in shops like the bottle's of whiskey and such. They'll now be around 20 quid a bottle?!

A typical bottle of spirits will have about 28 units , so at the mimimum price per unit would cost £ 12.60 . It's more expensive than that anyway so won't have any real effect. If it is cheaper, stock up while you can :D

You say it won't affect the beer, but when you only want 3/4 cans or something small. Which means you're drinking sensibly you'll have to pay much higher prices (companies will use this to charge extra).

But if you binge drink, you won't be affected because for 20 packs it's the same price.

Let's move past pricing, will this really reduce binge drinking?

No, it's ANOTHER TAX ON THE POOREST
    Still, this happened to cigarettes. Has that worked in your opinion or is that because of the advertisements placed on it? Do you think similar should be done to Alcohol?[/quote[
    No it hasn't, every time the change cigarette prices, i just buy less food. People will addictions will just substitute other things for their alcohol or cigarettes.

Do you think this will reduce drunken 'yobs' on the streets and littering beer cans?

People can and will get drunk, price is irrelevant. I know through facebook and of my 1000+ friends who are aged 14-26. That when there parents give them £20+ on a friday to see there mates, they'll get pissed anyway or use drugs. Double the price, people will just pay double and get more drunk?

That's answering all your questions literally, but to put it all together and a complete opinion of my thoughts is that, this will change nothing but make the people who have these addictions either just pay the extra, and not pay for housing/food/children etc, which is terrible but true. If i'm desperate and depressed, i will always buy weed over gas electric or food. And i'm sure people with alcohol problems do the same.

For innocent people like me who don't binge drink. Quite often my dad will go do you want to come watch some TV/Film and have a drink? We'll go to the shop get White Ace for £1.69 a litre, and that'll last me a day or two. It it fair that will be £3.74? What because little scumbags can't handle their drink, or because rich and greedy governments and corporations can't fix the real problem.

Or on the weekends (At most twice a month, if that now it's freezing), i'll either go to petrol station and buy 3 litres of 3 Hammers cider for £3.80, and drink 2 pints and throw it away. Why should i now have to pay over £10? because occasionally i drink cider with my friends.
    But the fact is i can't afford cider now, what was once a simple pleasure for me with my friends, is now something i in the future will no longer be able to take part in and it's nothing to do with us.
    Or am i a binge drinker? Is have 2 litres of cider, once or twice a month bad?
    Is drinking with my friends (not in public, and never public) wrong?

You've already forced me out of EVERY SINGLE CLUB AND PUB IN THE COUNTRY because i am very poor!

Prohibition will not cure the cancer, rehabilitation will and help for those who need to drink and binge drink will.
  • Options
    We used to talk about minimum pricing in SUs to avoid people getting properly paralytic of an evening. But the evidence I saw at the time (which I can't find, will keep looking) suggested that once people get to a certain level of drunk they stop noticing prices and spend more than they have anyway.

The CEO of Wetherspoon's was on R4 calling it a 'tax on poor people' because it will only increase the price of the very cheapest things on the market.
  • Options
    It's only a tax if you can't avoid paying it. Just don't drink. It's not like a minimum unit price of something essential, like soap.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    It's only a tax if you can't avoid paying it. Just don't drink.

Tax on booze is still a tax.

I don't think setting a min price on alcohol is going to have much of an effect at all on problematic drinking. It's not prices that you have to change to get people to stop drinkning, it's the social attitude to getting drunbk that needs to be changed. People who want to get drunk will still get drunk.

One good thing that may come about as a result of having a minimum price however is that pubs may benifit. I would like to see the supermarkets lose some of their share of alcohol sales back to pubs and social drinking premises. I would also like to see large tax breaks for community pubs and social clubs. At the moment these places are being literally taxed to death
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    One good thing that may come about as a result of having a minimum price however is that pubs may benifit. I would like to see the supermarkets lose some of their share of alcohol sales back to pubs and social drinking premises. I would also like to see large tax breaks for community pubs and social clubs. At the moment these places are being literally taxed to death

This.
  • Options
    This simply won't work, just as prohibition for drugs isn't working (nor did it for alcohol in the US) and high priced tobacco products doesn't.

All this will do is increase the market share of the "black" marketeers.

Proof positive that Governments really are stupid and never learn from their mistakes.
  • Options
    Call me on this if I'm wrong and this honestly isnt a go at you Shikari, but 3l of cider (my point works better if im on about the strong stuff) which is 7/8%, shouldnt be something that gets you mildly drunk for a couple of hours. I know people dont take many government guidelines seriously, but there has to be a genuine issue if someone is consuming 20+ units in a night and isnt feeling the effects.

I personally dont see this effecting me as most things that I buy are already well above the cost of this suggested level of minimum pricing. I'm not saying that as "Look at me I have money", all I'm saying is that it doesnt really effect me. There is a bigger issue here and I think its something Shikari touched on nicely, and that is the cost of drink in supermarkets which is having an effect on the pub industry. However, when trying to work out how to cut away some of the supermarket trade and put it back in the hands of the public house, you need to stop supermarkets selling alcohol at stupidly low prices. This may well inflate the price, which is what the minimum pricing would have done anyway.

I do think its a bit wrong to have a tax on the poor, and that they will be disproportionally hit, and that a 3l bottle of cider would go up by so much. My personal thought is that whoever decided to sell cider at that strength for that cheaply in the first place was a bit of a c**k. Being able to buy your weekly recommended intake of alcohol for £3.50 is something that shouldnt have happened in the first place, ever.

I like how some (but not all) people tend to care little about politics in any way shape or form till it comes to government raising a tax on something that whilst people enjoy, is quite harmful to them and kills a number of people each year.

The government can do all they want to advertise drink awareness, and in this day and age I think people are very aware of the consequences of drinking. Though as with many things in life, people tend to only care when they start having the described problems themselves, which by then can often be too late.
  • Options
    I'm not overly surprised that the method chosen to combat binge drinking also coincidently increases the tax revenue for the government.
    What is the estimated tax increase and what proportion is being put back into tackling the issue on a more long term and fundamental basis? (a change in drinking culture)
    Otherwise it's just opening the door to repeated tax increases on the basis that it's the responsible thing for the goverment to do.

As a single action, I find this quite pointless, unless it's backed up by a wholesale change through society. It's the attitude that needs to change, not the price.

(also, how the **** can anyone predict the exact number of lives saved by this? That just seems like statistical lies to me)
  • Options
    Minimum pricing is not a tax.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Minimum pricing is not a tax.

Alcohol duty may not go up by minimum pricing as it's worked out by vol, but VAT will. So technically the governemnt will increase tax revenue from this move.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Tax is the solution, we just need to work out what the question is.

I do like the idea of a Tory twat, who was a member of club at Oxford University which existed purely to get trashed on champagne and smash things up, telling us that increasing the price of booze will reduce consumption. It may do for the poorest people in society but you only have to look at a footballers' Christmas Party to find out that it won't for the wealthy. And a rich liver costs just as much to fix as a poor one.

Putting former members of the Bullingdon Club in Guantanamo Bay would make about as much difference. Now there's an idea I could vote for.

Just a typical Tory wheeze to screw the poor. Only the rich are allowed to have fun you know.
  • Options
    I believe its well intentioned to try to limit the ability of serious alcoholics to get 'their fix' however I don't think it will have a large impact. It won't affect the majority of people as even your basic entry level drinks are above that price, only the super-lagers and such which are only there to get drunk will be affected.

A move away from supermarkets and towards licenced and responsible venues would, in my mind, be a good move though.
  • Options
    If you are rich then cost doesn't matter, if you are an addict then price doesn't matter.

This is aimed at teens/tweenies and the poorer in society. These are also the very groups who will make the most of a blackmarket economy. Funnily enough the same groups making the most of the supermarket now.
  • Options
    On a complete tangent, its an interesting concept that whenever debating the measures a government talks about implementing, a common argument is "thats not the best way to do it" without actually providing a better way to do it.

Looking at things, the proposed minimum pricing tariff might not be a good thing to do at all. However, what are the other measures that we could explore to try and get the intended effects of stopping people killing themselves with drink.

As has been stated above, this measure wont effect the rich, or indeed those addicted to the drink. Yet to sit back and let people make these mistakes is often called by many to be wrong and immoral as well. I know that smoking and drinking related issues do take up a lot of money and time from the NHS, but how much are they putting into it.

I often see on a day to day business, people asking the government to keep out of other peoples businesses, so why should they be making minimum pricing measures to try and persuade people to live longer? By all means introduce something specifically aimed at supermarkets and the like, but to help save the pub industry, not to save people, some of whom dont want the help?

A little devils advocate, but I'm in an interesting mood.
  • Options
    Slartibartfast: got it in one. Alcoholics will beg, borrow and steal just as they've always done. Burlington toffee twats don't care how much the champagne and port is. This is squarely targeted at those of us who want three bottles of red wine for a tenner from Asda.
  • Options
    I agree, the new measure seems to target the wrong people - those who work hard for a living and just want a reasonable priced drink. It'll do nothing for those serious addicted to alcohol and will just be another measure to line the government's pockets..
  • Options
    Well it will line the pockets with the increased VAT, I wont argue about that. However in all fairness it seems that some people are under the impression that the government are going to take this extra money themselves. When all that is being said is that it has to be sold at a minimum price.

Also, lining government pockets is something we need to do as the UK has a little bit of a debt problem. Not that this would have made a massive difference anyway, nor should they raise revenue in this manner.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    On a complete tangent, its an interesting concept that whenever debating the measures a government talks about implementing, a common argument is "thats not the best way to do it" without actually providing a better way to do it.

The problem is that the premis here is that something actually *needs* to be done. Question is though, why? What is the issue which they are trying to solve, and does it actually need solving in the first place?
    Yet to sit back and let people make these mistakes is often called by many to be wrong and immoral as well. I know that smoking and drinking related issues do take up a lot of money and time from the NHS, but how much are they putting into it.

We should be offering help to people, like addicts, who actually want and need our help (which is what we do for smokers). People make mistakes, that's the joy of freedom.
    By all means introduce something specifically aimed at supermarkets and the like, but to help save the pub industry, not to save people, some of whom dont want the help?

This is where I get a little libertarian and capitalist, which is weird for me.

If the pub cannot compete on price then they need to look at their unique selling point and emphasise that. If they still cannot survive well, that's capitalism. Sorry guys but clearly your business doesn't deserve to survive anymore. That's how the system works.
  • Options
    I agree with you on the above. As sad as it sounds I often see appeals to save places of interest or help this, that and the other. Which is all well and good, except sometimes when something is saved it still remains unviable. Also, why if it was so popular did people let it fall into disrepair etc (say piers for example).
  • Options

If the pub cannot compete on price then they need to look at their unique selling point and emphasise that. If they still cannot survive well, that's capitalism. Sorry guys but clearly your business doesn't deserve to survive anymore. That's how the system works.

Whilst I generally agree, unless you've suddenly become American I believe you mean 'liberal' (unless you do mean there should be no Government or only Government to issue currency and regulate contracts)
  • Options
    One of the benefits of devolution, it seems to me, is that the UK Govt can learn from the Scottish (and Welsh and Northern Irish and vice versa), so it seems especially daft to introduce this law here before we've had a chance to learn from Scotland, whether there SNP introduced law on minimum pricing has worked

I also think its more a Lib Dem policy than Tory as their manifesto says
    "We will...reduce the ill health and crime caused by excessive drinking. We support a ban on below-cost selling, and are in favour of the principle of minimum pricing, subject to detailed work to establish how it could be used in tackling problems of irresponsible drinking. We will also review the complex, ill-thought-through system of taxation for alcohol to ensure it tackles binge drinking without unfairly penalising responsible drinkers, pubs and important local industries."

http://www.alcoholpolicy.net/2010/04/liberal-democrats-manifesto-support-for-minimum-pricing-principle-and-below-cost-ban.html

The Tories manifesto committment is different
    Under Labour?s lax licensing regime, drink-fuelled violence and disorder are a blight on many communities. We will overhaul the Licensing Act to give local authorities and the police much stronger powers to remove licences from, or refuse to grant licences to, any premises that are causing problems. In addition, we will:
    ?allow councils and the police to shut down permanently any shop or bar found persistently selling alcohol to children;

?double the maximum fine for under-age alcohol sales to £20,000;
    ?raise taxes on those drinks linked to antisocial drinking, while abolishing Labour?s new ?cider tax? on ordinary drinkers;

?ban off-licences and supermarkets from selling alcohol below cost price; and,
    ?permit local councils to charge more for latenight licences to pay for additional policing.

http://www.alcoholpolicy.net/2010/04/conservative-manifesto-tax-high-strength-drinks-and-ban-below-cost-sales.html

(though in the interests of fairness prior to the election he did speak about extra tax on strong drinks)

http://www.alcoholpolicy.net/2009/08/tories-plan-tax-hikes-on-cheap-drinks.html
  • Options

Not really fair when pubs have to pay full 20% and supermarkets only pay 5%.

I think we should be looking to protect pubs.
    Publicans who permit badbehaviour such as heavy drinking will lose their licences. Supermarkets face no such restraints. They have no idea what happens to cheap alcohol once it leaves their stores. In too many cases, it's passed on to under-age drinkers.

Pubs do far more for communities than supermarkets do.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Many pubs are also doing well, their attracting families for lunches, young people for evenings out and retired grandparents in the afternoon.

The pubs that are struggling are often those that haven't managed to move with the times and still cater for the old-fashioned working man drinking half his pay on a Friday and slamming back a few during the week when the Missus is cooking his tea and looking after the wee 'un's. Those times have changed and ain't coming back (which I think personally is a good thing), but there's plenty of room for good well-managed pubs...
  • Options
    Rubbish. I work in the hospitality sector, selling epos and stock systems to pubs and restaurants. Pubs are closing at a phenomenal rate and
    its rural and suburban pubs that are suffering the most. Selling beer is just not profitable anymore and its due to the above inflation tax rises each year.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Slartibartfast: got it in one. Alcoholics will beg, borrow and steal just as they've always done. Burlington toffee twats don't care how much the champagne and port is. This is squarely targeted at those of us who want three bottles of red wine for a tenner from Asda.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/mar/23/alcohol-minimum-price-supermarket
    The research also suggests Asda's popular 3-for-£10 deal on wine would be affected by the promotion, though only by a slight margin: the selling price of £3.33 per bottle would be slightly lower than the £3.60 minimum required for a bottle of 12% ABV.

Not a huge problem imho.
  • Options
    Rubbish. I work in the hospitality sector, selling epos and stock systems to pubs and restaurants. Pubs are closing at a phenomenal rate and its rural and suburban pubs that are suffering the most. Selling beer is just not profitable anymore and its due to the above inflation tax rises each year.

But to say that price is the cause of this is taking too narrow a view point though. It's bigger than that, although price will be a part.

A local village pub was thriving until it changed hands, now it's closed. By contrast, a few villages over, a previously down run and poorly used pub is now thriving.

There are many attractors to pub, the social side is the biggy. A poorly run pub will crash whatever the price. As Flash says, times have changed and the pub trade needs to change with it or people will vote with their feet - as they are. NB Charging a fortune for soft drinks just makes it worse!
  • Options
    Rubbish. I work in the hospitality sector, selling epos and stock systems to pubs and restaurants. Pubs are closing at a phenomenal rate and
    its rural and suburban pubs that are suffering the most. Selling beer is just not profitable anymore and its due to the above inflation tax rises each year.

I'm not saying some pubs aren't going under, but that's mainly because the world's changing and they're not keeping up not due to tax differentials (though as an aside as a free marketeer I'm against tax differentials cos they're Government purposefully loading the playing field). Lots of pubs used to survive on the men (and I mean men) drinking a fair chunk of their pay packets on a Friday and then a chunk of the rest on others nights whilst the wife made dinner and put the kids to bed. That's a model that's being dying for fifty years and things like tightening drink driving laws (a good thing) and indoor smoking bans (a bad thing) have just exacerbated that. The cost difference isn't a major reason why people drink at home compared to the pub (as even if tax was levelled it'll always be cheaper to buy a four pack of Stella than going to the pub), but people go to pubs to enjoy a good social event.

Some pubs have adapted and some haven't. The ones that adapt do well (they sell lunch, they sell wine), the ones that don't go to the wall.
  • Options
    But to say that price is the cause of this is taking too narrow a view point though. It's bigger than that, although price will be a part.

A local village pub was thriving until it changed hands, now it's closed. By contrast, a few villages over, a previously down run and poorly used pub is now thriving.

There are many attractors to pub, the social side is the biggy. A poorly run pub will crash whatever the price. As Flash says, times have changed and the pub trade needs to change with it or people will vote with their feet - as they are. NB Charging a fortune for soft drinks just makes it worse!

Yep. A pub we often go to for a lunch is great cos its got a children's play area out back and always has one of the staff there, keeping an eye out and means we can sit inside and have a couple pint and a burger (and they do reasonable kids meals and cheap soft drinks). After seven it's adults only, but it still does good food and cheap soft drinks so if we go there with friends in an evening someone can drive. Pubs like that are going to do well
  • Options
    for me,the number one killer of modern day pubs is not marketing or on the certain social groups. It's sky sports and other Sport networks. Sky demands you pay £2000 per month( On average) to show their games. That's excluding the fee you have to pay to legally show media entertainment in a public house. If you can't afford that? Tough, people will go to a pub that can. The pubs that can afford that have to raise their prices (including soft drinks) to cater to the extreme fee of such entertainment.

Such prices then force people to go to the supermarket.

Of course, not everyone wants to go to the pub and see football games, but those pubs who have those options do far better than those who don't. There are notable examples of other pubs without sports tv doing well, but they are in a minority.