Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should i take it on?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Currently I'm working full time as an apprentice fabricator. I have been going through a lot of emotional stress in my home life lately, and i find work to be very good for relieving that stress. Im considering taking on more hours during the week, and taking on full weekend work as well. with the work available to me, i will be putting myself on nearly 80 hours per week non stop. but im wondering, if i do this, will there be any sort of negative health issues in the long term, or even short term? i have done these shifts for nearly a month straight before, and it was exhausting at first, but i got used to it pretty quickly. but if i take it on again, it will go for at least 3 months. would this be an unwise decision as far as my health is concerned?

Comments

• Options
    People can pull that sort of worload short term, but long term is more of a problem - after a while you may find you get less done in 80 hours than other people manage in 40. There may be mental problems, you may get |burnt out" but you are also at risk from the emotional issues, using work to push them aside is fine, until you become mentally exhausted and the emotion comes crashing in on you, and you have a breakdown.
  • Options
    thanks, mate. i may just have to try it for a bit and see how i feel. i know i can handle it for a few weeks at a time, might just have to pay attention to myself in the long terms