Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Screw Intel

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
All I wanted was to add a nice new graphics card to my machine... damn emachines and their motherboard (from here "mobo" cos I ain't typing that all the time) choice:

I want to play better, newer games. I had bought for me nearly 2 years ago an emachine when they first came around here. The spec of that I can read of the box (Celeron (celery) 566mhz, a mighty 32Mb ramm, 15GB HDD, on board sound & graphics, 48x CD). Hey, it was alright for homework and the net - but I soon wanted/needed more. I whacked a bit more RAM in it which made it a bit better at coping with multiple windows. Then more RAM followed a few months later bringing the toal to 256MB. A PCI network card and a Creaitve sound card filled up all 3 PCI slots (the other ones the modem). Most recently I got a CD Writer, a quick one at that :D, and started to think about what to do next. After a look round Game I realised that my on board graphics are crap and that I couldn't even do some of the newest £5/£10 games. Not good. Started to look at graphics cards and found one that I could afford and that would do for at least 2 years. Nice. AGP though, "hmmm not sure about that" I pondered. Looked under the desk at the thing whizzing away and had a look around - NO AGP!! and no spare PCI slots. It was at this point I started to realise this was going to get expensive.

That was a month ago. I think I've finally sorted myself out with a mobo, compatible RAM and an Athlon CPU - damn right I'm going AMD. Looking at both mobo and processors themselves it's cheaper and most (if not all :confused: ) of the AMD ones use the same socket A. Then it dawned on me. If I buy a new mobo, CPU etc I could probably build another machine out of the old one (if that makes sense). I spoke to a mate who offered me £350 for it if I put a CD Writer in there. Sorted then. So now I can buy all the components for my "new" machine, make another machine out of the old ones, sell the old one and make a profit :D:D! Of course I have to buy little stupid things for the old one like floppy drives, modems and buy a bigger case for the new one. Also try and find a monitor, mouse and keyboard from somewhere which I should manage.

So I'm a lot happier since I screwed Intel. And when I've sorted it all I'll get some AMD stickers for the case just to rub it in (Dad still got his P3). I might post spec details soon so I can have someone else look over and make sure it'll all come together :rolleyes:

Has anyone else made an Intel processor system into a AMD one? Or even the other way round? I can't believe that this is really that strange...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    AMD generally give you a load more bang for your buck. I've been building my PCs the AMD way for the last 5-6 years or so.

What exactly do you mean by building one system into another?