Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Uni and mates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just been sat here thinking. Soon i have to chose a uni i wish to go local. The only problem is the fact that i am very close to about 11 of my sixth form mates who hope to go away.

Those of you at Uni how do you manage with being split from your best mates? Surely its difficult to manage to talk to 12 people regularly.

I will probably meet many mates and soon forget my old friends (my mates seem to think it is acceptable) as i will be meeting people on my course who will have more in common although i cant leave my mates out :( they mean a lot to me as well as my boyfriend who may also be left behind, although due to money and support staying local is needed. i know it is wrong to choose a uni based on friends and partners but i know where i want to go and so do my mates. does that mean old mates will find there own life away and i find mine? how many school mates keep in touch throughout uni? im fed up of being dumped by my mates :( for new friends. Although one existing mate hopes to go to the same place as me :D

And while on the subject instead of a seperate topic on student what do you guys think of Uni? THANKYOU :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im currently in uni and I havent forgotten any of my friends. They understand if u dont call in ages *they should coz they are going through the same thing themself!* Theres always emailing, and you've got breaks to visit them as well:) Its impossible to call them all the time, you need to be a lil selfish and get on with your life and make new friends wherever you are thinking of going. Good Luck by the way:D infact its not being selfish at all, its just a progression in life I suppose. *I dunno if Im making sense? :confused: *

Basically to sum that up rubble up there! If they your friends they'll stick by you whatever, wherever you go and do.

Uni can be hyped up too much saying that its brill! however, 4 me not a problemo at all, its cheap, make a whole-lot-a-friends, well "drinkin buddies!" :D :cool: we all get a long its a whole new world. But it varies in places, and if ur planning to move out, and all that jazz. Go out there and judge for yourself:D :):p :cool:
    Why are you allowed to use more than 8 smilies :(:D:p :rolleyes: !?!?!?!!? :mad: :eek:

Thanks for that. I cant wait a lot better than going straight into a job i suppose its more chance to meet many more mates!

*thinks about christmas card list* :eek:

*primary teaching all these mates* (have to send the little kids cards :) )

edited to add the 8th :D
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    Why are you allowed to use more than 8 smilies :(:D:p :rolleyes: !?!?!?!!? :mad: :eek:

You both used 9 smilies. Silly girl. :)
    edited to add the 8th :D

You mean 9th. :p
    Feeling happy

These smiley things make me happy *I dont like being depressed or hearing any one else* and its a nice day today:D <--ops there I go again!
    Originally posted by Daisychainthing

You both used 9 smilies. Silly girl. :)

You mean 9th. :p

:p

They are trying to confuse me i tell you :D
    Excuses. :p You know you just can't count. :D
    No honest :( they are really trying to confuse me :(
    No honest :( they are really trying to confuse me :(

Aw bless ya! :D
    I've been at uni for 3 years now and I accepted I would lose touch with a lot of people at home. At first it's a bit sad but when you start meeting new people at uni, you soon realise who your real friends are (often the best friends are found at uni since you have similar goals and interests).

Another thing is that you find out who sticks by you when you go back home at the end of term but I'm sorry to say that after spending the best part of 3 years at uni, I've lost contact with most of my school friends but then, it turns out that it's not a great loss.

Everyone will tell you this sort of thing (they did to me) before you go so relax, and take it easy - you'll make lifelong friends by the time you leave, trust me.
    After school and college, I moved into a house with my closest friends and we all go to uni together.
    No doubt you'll lose touch with some of your friends but the one's that are true will understand what your going through (it may be the same case with them) :D

Uni is for 3 years so you'll definetly meet new people and no doubt remain friends with some of them for life!

Good Luck! :D
    I chose a uni near to my home town purely because I would be able to stay in touch with all my mates, it all worked out really well and I've now two good circles friends which now over lap, I'm moving in with some of my home friends and uni friends in September, they get on really well :)